Help! First time mama looking for inspo!

Hi everyone!

Recent lurker, first time poster. I’m due in [name_u]January[/name_u] with my first, and we’ve decided to wait and be surprised by the gender of the baby, which leaves us with the agonizing task of picking not one, but two names! :joy: I feel like I’ve gone through just about every name between name sites/apps and lurking on NB posts for inspiration.

Below are the names we’ve been thinking of so far, but I’d love any inspiration you wise name sages could offer me! Our last name is 3 syllables and Italian, rhyming with Rodeo if that helps with suggestions.

Boys-

First names:

Boden/Beauden (nn [name_m]Bode[/name_m]/Beaudi - this is our top pick so far, I’m just torn on spelling and don’t want to use [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] for the spelling of the nn)
[name_u]Archer[/name_u] (nn [name_m]Arch[/name_m])
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]/Milo
[name_u]Nico[/name_u]
Stratton (I like the strength and feel of it, but I don’t think it goes super well with our last name)

Luca and [name_m]Cole[/name_m] are also names I’ve loved in the past, but they’ve gotten too popular for my liking.

For middle, we haven’t talked too much about it, but I’m leaning towards my late fathers name ([name_m]Edwin[/name_m]) or my husband’s name ([name_u]Michael[/name_u]).

Girls-

First names:

Ayla
[name_u]Shaye[/name_u]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] (my late grandmothers name - though my brother says he “claimed” it for use a few years ago)

I also love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f]) but feel they are too popular for me to use them now.

For middle, I’ve been considering [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (for my sister) or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (my great grandma) but my husband isn’t too keen on either. I also love [name_f]Adaline[/name_f], and I wouldn’t use it as a first because I don’t want an [name_f]Addi[/name_f].

Would love to hear your thoughts and name suggestions!! Thank you :heart:

1 Like

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] @MamaMignon!

From your current list I really like [name_u]Archer[/name_u], [name_u]Milo[/name_u] and [name_u]Nico[/name_u] for boys and [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f] for girls! Those are all really solid options! Here are some other suggestions:

[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Easton[/name_u]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Ryland[/name_m]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_u]Eli[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Wells[/name_m]
[name_m]Tucker[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Tate[/name_u]

[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_f]Reyna[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Alora[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_u]Seren[/name_u]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]

1 Like

Thank you for the great suggestions! Definitely some new names I hadn’t considered before.

Hudson is actually a name we also loved, but is extremely popular in the area where we live.

Willow is actually a name we’ve talked about in the past, and I have on a middle possibility. I’m just not sure how great it flows with our super italian last name.

Talia is a name I’ve loved since I was a girl, but my husband vetoed it :sob: maybe I can convince him to add it back… :laughing:

1 Like

I’m glad you liked some of them! Sorry if I overwhelmed you with suggestions, I just got so excited! :joy:

1 Like

Hey welcome to Nameberry hopefully you’ll find your dream name here! Combos you may want to consider that are similar to your choices and taste:

• Holdin
  • Holt/Colt
  • Heath
  • Phoenix
  • Corbin
  • Reuben
  • Jarvis
  • Scott

Combos I love out of that are [name_m]Holt[/name_m] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u], and [name_m]Heath[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_u]Scott[/name_u] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]!

For girls I have:

Similar to chosen ones:

• Layla
  • Estelle
  • Astria
  • Amala

Similar to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] but not as popular:

• Alivia
  • Olive
  • Lucia
  • Oliva
  • Sylvia

Combos from both list that I love with the middles are; [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] [name_f]Adaline[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] [name_f]Adaline[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], and [name_f]Astria[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]

Hopefully these names helped at the very least got you into expanding your baby knowledge :joy:

For a boy’s name, I like [name_u]Nico[/name_u], [name_u]Miles[/name_u], and [name_u]Milo[/name_u]. [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] probably sounds better with those names, but [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is nice as well.

My favorite for a girl is [name_f]Stella[/name_f], but maybe talk to your brother. [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] is pretty!

1 Like

Milo [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_u]Miles[/name_u] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] and [name_u]Nico[/name_u] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] are fantastic! And [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is gorgeous. Some others you may like:

Hugo
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_u]Axel[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_u]Rafe[/name_u]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]

Violet
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_u]Noa[/name_u]
[name_f]Chiara[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Luella[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Zella[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Edie[/name_f]

Beauden is so handsome! I love it. It carries strength and hardness to it but the nickname Beaudi softens it up prefectly. I do prefer the [name_m]Beauden[/name_m]/Beaudi spelling. Not sure why it just seems more complete.

Archer is a lovely name. It is becoming relatively popular, especially with the nickname [name_m]Archie[/name_m] bc of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_f]Meghan[/name_f]’s son. And if you don’t like [name_m]Archie[/name_m] I would say stay away from it bc I think with the nickname [name_m]Arch[/name_m], [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is kinda inevitable.

Miles and [name_u]Milo[/name_u] are just so sweet. I don’t like them as much as the other two just bc of the lack of nicknames.

Stratton is quite nice! If it doesn’t go with your name though, I would say don’t use it. Perhaps [name_m]Stellan[/name_m]?

If you go with [name_m]Beauden[/name_m]/Boden I would say use the middle name [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. [name_m]Beauden[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] flows a lot better than [name_m]Beauden[/name_m] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] bc they end in the same sound.

Ayla is so beautiful! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you pronounce it like [name_f]Isla[/name_f]? [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is very popular right now.

Shaye is so pretty and simple. I really like it. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t go wrong with it!

Stella is stunning! However, you might want to check with your brother since he called dibs on it years ago and see if he would be okay with you using it.

For middles, [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], and [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] sound beautiful! [name_u]Shaye[/name_u] [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] also sound very pretty!

Suggestions (please take any repeats as me seconding the name):
[name_u]Asher[/name_u]
[name_u]Beckett[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] “Bash”
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_u]Levi[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] “[name_m]Leo[/name_m]”
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Ryder[/name_u]
[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u]
[name_u]Declan[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]
[name_m]Corbett[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] “[name_u]Dash[/name_u]”
[name_u]Asa[/name_u] “[name_m]Ace[/name_m]”
[name_m]Beckham[/name_m]

Arya
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] “[name_u]Rory[/name_u]”
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaia[/name_f]
[name_u]Noa[/name_u]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f]

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi there.

Here are my thoughts on what you’ve got so far:

Boys:

Boden/Beauden (nn [name_m]Bode[/name_m]/Beaudi)-Honestly, this is not my favorite. It seems a little bit trendy & modern for my tastes. I think I’d go w/Boden nn [name_m]Bodie[/name_m] for spelling. I think? If you last name is like Rodeo, does this rhyme?

Archer (nn [name_m]Arch[/name_m])-I like [name_u]Archer[/name_u]. It’s a little quirky, but also outdoorsy & I can see it as being sophisticated as well. It’s simple & not terribly over done. I don’t love the idea of [name_m]Arch[/name_m]. It sounds a little abrupt. [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is cute. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_m]Archie[/name_m]? It could be somewhat unavoidable.

Miles/Milo-I find [name_u]Milo[/name_u] charming. [name_u]Miles[/name_u] is fine, but a lot more popular. [name_u]Milo[/name_u] is. way more fun in my opinion. [name_u]Miles[/name_u] is actually more popular than [name_u]Luca[/name_u] & [name_m]Cole[/name_m] according to the SSA list.

Nico-I love it. Especially w/an Italian ln. It’s so exotic, sleek, artsy & just lovable. Simple but not over done again.

Stratton-That’s kind of cool. I’ve never heard it before, but it’s interesting.

Here are a few more boy ideas that you may like:

Alden

Arlo

Caspar

Dashiell

Dexter

Gibson

Holden

Jonas

Kai

Oscar

Odin

River

Thatcher

Girls:

Ayla-Is it Eye-luh or Aye-luh? I think that spelling & pronunciation may get annoying here. Eye-luh is soooo popular.

Shaye-It’s not my personal favorite for a girl (I have a nephew who is [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] nn [name_u]Shay[/name_u]), but it’s not terrible. I think that this spelling is a bit unnecessary though. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_u]Shay[/name_u] seems easier.

Stella-I love it. It’s such a classic, beautiful spunky name. How close is your brother to having kids? is he definitely going to have kids? Is he definitely going to have a daughter? It seems a bit unfair if he’s not very close to definitely having a daughter in my opinion.

Olivia, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/Mia & [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] (this spelling) are three of my favorites too, but I agree that they’re way too common. I just got to use [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f] for my cat when I adopted her fifteen years ago, since she’s a cat & it doesn’t matter if her name is popular as much. :joy: :heart_eyes_cat:

Here are a few more girl ideas that you may like:

Ada

Aviva

Briar

Celeste

Colette

Delia

Eve

Esme

Freya

Gemma

Juniper

Lucia

Lola

Rosalie

Rosalia

Tessa

Talia

Vida

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually suggested [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] as I love it as an alternative, but hubby thinks it’s too similar :sob: [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is another I love but a good friend of ours has already chosen it for their little girl! [name_f]Astria[/name_f] is one I’ve actually never heard of before and is beautiful!

Yes, I’m leaning more towards [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] with names that have a softer ending or non-M beginning!

Stella is definitely one of our top 2, I brought it up with my brother again, and it’s hard to tell if he would actually really be mad if we used it or not! He is not even engaged at this point, so I feel I definitely have more of a say given my current situation :laughing: [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] or [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] would likely be my combo!

1 Like

@TDFM [name_u]Axel[/name_u] has actually been thrown around a few times as I like the A A alliteration with our last name! [name_m]Just[/name_m] not sure if I’m ballsy enough to choose such a bold name! :laughing: I also love [name_u]Noa[/name_u] for a girl, but hubby isn’t as into the “boy on a girl” names :frowning:

@AdroitArtemis I’m so torn between [name_m]Boden[/name_m] and [name_m]Beauden[/name_m], so I appreciate that feedback! We would most definitely go with [name_m]Bode[/name_m]/Beaudy/Beaudi as a nickname, but I’d want to give him the option for the more formal route as the baby grows up! [name_u]Michael[/name_u] would also be the mn we use if we choose this name.

I definitely like [name_m]Arch[/name_m] better than [name_m]Archie[/name_m], and I think we’ll ultimately avoid the name just because I’m not sure I want an [name_m]Archie[/name_m]!

For girls, I hadn’t even thought of it, but my sister has a niece named [name_f]Ila[/name_f] on her husband’s side (and its also a name she wanted to use if she had a girl) so [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] might end up being too close to that.

1 Like

@MichelleM it would only rhyme with our last name if you took off the O since our last name has one more extra syllable than Rodeo. We decided it wasn’t offensive enough to not consider it!

My brother has a girlfriend for the last 3 years, but according to him is nowhere close to being engaged, so in my mind, dibs doesn’t apply! [name_f]My[/name_f] little one would actually be born nearly 100 years to my grandmother’s birth date, so if it is a girl, it would have even more meaning.

I actually work for an Israeli company, and [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] has come up a few times! I think it is a really nice name. [name_f]Talia[/name_f] is also a name I have loved for years, but I’m not sure I can convince hubby on it!

Boys:

Rhys
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_u]Carden[/name_u]
[name_m]Patton[/name_m]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]

Girls:

Haven
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]