Help! Hub's Horrifying Suggestions!!!!!

Hello everyone!

I’ve been lurking for a while and could really use some of your stellar advice! So quick intro: I am expecting my first baby, a girl, in [name]November[/name]. So far hub hadn’t shown much interest in names (except to veto every idea I had…) but he came to me with his ideas the other day and to be honest I was horrified! I could really use some suggestions of names which you think may tempt him away from these:
Mariangela
Evangelinia
Apollinaria
Candelaria - this is his favourite…
Euphegenia
Isabelina
Valenciana

It’s like he’s come up with the longest most ott names in the world… Help!

To give you an idea of the sorts of names I like here are my favourites that he has said no to: [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Michelle[/name], [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Danielle[/name]. I’m not opposed to longer names but there has to be some sort of limit right?!

Any ideas/help would be great!

Thankyou [name]Jess[/name]

Wow! What about [name]Marisa[/name], [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Vanna[/name], [name]Cadence[/name], [name]Valeria[/name], [name]Elora[/name], or [name]Aria[/name] - my favorite choice for you - as a compromise name? He seems to have a thing for -ia names, so maybe [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Aria[/name], [name]Celia[/name], [name]Delia[/name], [name]Lilia[/name], [name]Maria[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], or [name]Rosalia[/name]? [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Isla[/name], and [name]Georgina[/name] are similar but less over-the-top, yes? Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thankyou lemon! I’ll pick a good time and give them a try then let you know! I love [name]Aria[/name] btw! To be honest ANYTHING that isn’t those sounds good right about now!!!

[name]Hope[/name] this helps some.

[name]Georgiana[/name]- Like [name]Georgia[/name] but a little longer for him.
[name]Valentina[/name]- A better take I think on Valenciana.
[name]Mariana[/name]- Simpler version of Mariangela.
[name]Evangeline[/name]- Very pretty just like this.
[name]Luciana[/name]/[name]Lucia[/name]- nn [name]Lucy[/name] would be great and it’s still long since he likes longer names.

Some combos:
Geogiana [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name] [name]Luciana[/name]/[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name]'s idea of [name]Aria[/name] was great. You could also longen it to [name]Ariana[/name].
Also, one of you can decide th FN and the other the MN. Did you all agree on some other names?

Since hanging out at nameberry, I’m surprised more people don’t divorce over this!

But before you go that far, actually, I think with a bit of tweaking and some good nn possibilities, your DH’s taste can be quite bearable.

One idea is to choose a long, “elegant” name that has a cute nn attached.

[name]Cordelia[/name] – [name]Delia[/name], [name]Cory[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] – [name]Rora[/name], [name]Rory[/name]
[name]Marianna[/name] – [name]Mamie[/name], [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Nathalia[/name] – [name]Natty[/name], [name]Talia[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name] – [name]Georgie[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Anya[/name]

Another idea is try to convince him to break the name into two – a first and middle. That might give him the sense of “elegance” and length without becoming unwieldly or ott.

[name]Marianna[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]
Isabeaux [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name] [name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Cambria[/name] [name]Belle[/name]

Perhaps with the right nm, he might go for [name]Sophia[/name]! (Although be forewarned, it is very popular!)

Valenciana doesn’t actually make me go into spasms of horror, if that helps. He seems to like the super-feminine, so what about…

[name]Violeta[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Marietta[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Audriana[/name]
[name]Audrina[/name]
[name]Augustina[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Ariella[/name]
[name]Rosalia[/name]
[name]Graciela[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name] (which could help you get to [name]Lucy[/name], if you wanted)
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]

Thankyou all! bonnie you really made me laugh…! I think I may give him a few days to think about my reaction then try again… I actually asked him if he was serious!!!

km903 I think I agree that Valenciana is the lesser of all the evils but still just a tad ott!

I like these from the suggestions:
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Valeria[/name]
[name]Rosalia[/name]
[name]Rosaria[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name] (if I can have [name]Lucy[/name]!)
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name] - I love this but I think it may have to be [name]Marianna[/name] to appease him…
[name]Marietta[/name]
[name]Ariella[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name] (but he won’t like it…)

I’ve tried [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Angela[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] etc - all got no’s. I really dislike [name]Evangeline[/name] and all it’s variations though. We haven’t agreed on any name - before this he was just saying no to everything I suggested without making any suggestions until I told him to contribute something… kinda wish I hadn’t pushed it now!

I’d like to get a reasonably long list to confront him with so any other ideas would be great!

Thanks [name]Jess[/name]

Your dilemma reminded me of this old blog post: https://nameberry.com/blog/2010/03/29/long-baby-names-when-more-is-more/

Is anything on there appealing? If you can find things that you like that tend toward hubby’s tastes, then he might take to your list a little better.

[name]Ah[/name], isn’t compromise painful sometimes? :wink:

[name]Arianna[/name]

[name]Don[/name]'t know if it is cold comfort, but perhaps you noticed on the front page of site, [name]Esai[/name] Morales just a daughter [name]Mariana[/name] Oliviera, so you are not alone.

[name]Don[/name]'t know if [name]Anastasia[/name] appeals to you. I love it.

Also, [name]Araminta[/name]

Thanks km903 - I’m afraid that list just makes me laugh a little! [name]Alexandria[/name] is passable but I really dislike [name]Alex[/name] on a girl. Maybe I should look for some 4 syllable names…

bonnie I do like [name]Arianna[/name], [name]Anastasia[/name] is just too much though… [name]Araminta[/name] is interesting though… I think I could grow to like that one! [name]Mintie[/name] is so cute… hmm I’ll give that a try! Thanks!

[name]Jess[/name]

I think that is exactly the theory behind [name]Araminta[/name] – [name]Mintie[/name] is pretty cute! But for elegant occasions, you have the whole enchilada of [name]Araminta[/name]. Pair it with a great middle name, and maybe you can convince your DH!

[name]Araminta[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] – Seems ott enough for anyone!

I also keep thinking of [name]Araminta[/name] [name]Marianne[/name] – or even [name]Araminta[/name] [name]Marianna[/name]!

Could you break up his favorites into fn and mn?

Mariangela = [name]Marie[/name]/[name]Mary[/name]/[name]Mari[/name] [name]Angela[/name]
Evangelinia (okay you don’t like the name so forgot [name]Evangeline[/name])
Apollinaria = Apolly Naria???
Candelaria = [name]Kendall[/name] [name]Aria[/name]
Euphegenia = [name]Eugenia[/name]?
Isabelina = [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Lina[/name]
Valenciana = [name]Valentine[/name] [name]Sienna[/name]

If no one has posted link yet, you should at least look through this list. Names your husband will love!

https://nameberry.com/list/43

[name]Alexandria[/name] could be [name]Annie[/name], [name]Lexie[/name], or [name]Allie[/name] instead of [name]Alex[/name]. I also really dislike [name]Alex[/name] on a girl.
Some other 4 syllable names that are a little more manageable:
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name] - [name]Hattie[/name] is a cute nickname.
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Patricia[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name] - [name]Willa[/name] or [name]Minnie[/name] make it manageable.

I tried looking for 5 syllable names, but all of them other than [name]Anastasia[/name] and [name]Alexandria[/name] make my head hurt. Also it’s kind of funny that a lot of women have to try really hard to get their husbands to get on board with any feminine name, while your husband likes names so vowel heavy they sounds like they should be in a medical dictionary. He sounds like an interesting man. :slight_smile: Good luck!

[name]Just[/name] thought I’d throw out some more suggestions…

[name]Adara[/name]/[name]Adora[/name]
[name]Amariah[/name]
[name]Ambrosia[/name]
[name]Amoret[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]/[name]Camellia[/name]
[name]Floralia[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Idalia[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Marietta[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Rosalia[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name]
[name]Violetta[/name]

I tried to find names that screamed feminine without being too much of a mouth full

Good luck!

Thankyou so much everyone - this is great!

bonnie - thanks but I’ve already tried the ones on that list that I can stand and he said no… starting to think he’s not even listening… :frowning:

kulah - thats an interesting idea [name]Angela[/name] [name]Marie[/name] would be ok but he’s said no to [name]Angela[/name] already…hmm maybe if i put it to him like that?! I think I may be stuck with Candelaria on the list… but if that means we can get other names on it too I can try to pull the “i’m the one giving birth card”?!

triceratops - haha! Bless him - he’s wonderful really but Apollinaria - seriously??!! [name]Felicity[/name]'s a good idea will add that one - thanks!

alexa - Thanks! I like the sound of [name]Ambrosia[/name] but it is a brand of custard here ;)… Otherwise, I like [name]Floralia[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Marietta[/name] and [name]Rosalia[/name].

[name]Hi[/name]! I don’t have the time to read through the suggestions, but your situation is quite funny. Where did your DH get these names from? Okay, here are some suggestions, hopefully some will work!

Mariangela- how about [name]Marian[/name], [name]Marina[/name], [name]Mariana[/name], [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Angelica[/name], [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Angela[/name] (seems less frilly even though it’s the exact same name, lol).
Evangelinia - [name]Eva[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Evelina[/name], [name]Evadne[/name].
Apollinaria - hmm… not sure if have any ideas from this one…
Candelaria - how about [name]Candace[/name], [name]Carolina[/name], [name]Coralie[/name].
Euphegenia - [name]Euphemia[/name]? [name]Eugenia[/name], [name]Eugenie[/name], [name]Eudora[/name], [name]Eulalie[/name], [name]Eulalia[/name]
Isabelina - [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Annabella[/name]
Valenciana - how about [name]Valencia[/name]? [name]Valentina[/name]? [name]Valerie[/name]?

Some other longish names that don’t sound as… long…

[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Mirabella[/name]
[name]Elisabetta[/name]
[name]Ariella[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Lilliana[/name]
[name]Emiliana[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]/[name]Josephina[/name]
Magdelena
[name]Calliope[/name]

Maybe a compromise would be to pick a longer name that he likes and agree on a more simple nickname that your like. [name]Evangeline[/name] could be [name]Evie[/name], Magdelena could be [name]Maggie[/name] or [name]Laney[/name], [name]Lilliana[/name] could be [name]Lily[/name], etc. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!