Help! I have no ideas!

My husband and I are expecting our first child together, a baby girl, but the problem is we have two very different styles when it comes to names.

I like simple, short and straight forward names and also nicknames as firsts, some of my picks are [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Belle[/name_f]; all of which are also very distinctively female in my eyes.

Whereas my husband likes more unisex names or less feminine names, such as [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_u]Tegan[/name_u], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_u]Corey[/name_u] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u].

We both dislike the others choices so that immediately puts them in the no pile. So that means we have zero names on the list for our little girl! :frowning:
Can you think of a way to merge our two styles? Or any names you think would make a good merge?

Friends and family have recommended using one style for the first name and one for the second but then it leads to squabbling over who gets the front spot, it’s an even bigger nightmare!

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Are you planning on having more than one child? If so, you can take turns. He gets first spot this time, you get it next time.

To me, the name [name_u]Teagan[/name_u] (this spelling) is quite girly. You’ll just have to make longer lists to find something you both like. Investigate more names.

I will list some names that I feel are feminine and tomboyish at the same time. (in my opinion) Some are obviously feminine, but not at all frilly. Maybe it will at least give you some ideas.

[name_f]Adrienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Bree[/name_f]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_f]Eliette[/name_f]/[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_f]Gillian[/name_f]/[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethan[/name_f] or [name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f] / [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] / [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Glenna[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] . [name_f]Lark[/name_f] . [name_u]Larkin[/name_u] . [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_f]Lorelai[/name_f]
Adelai
[name_f]Maren[/name_f] (sounds like [name_f]Karen[/name_f] with an m)
[name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f] / [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u]
[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
[name_f]Emmalyn[/name_f] / [name_f]Emmelyn[/name_f] / [name_u]Emlyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] / [name_f]Evlyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f] (aka [name_u]Jude[/name_u])
[name_u]Seren[/name_u] . [name_f]Belen[/name_f] . [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]

Hm…there has to be at least one you can agree on. Have you gone through a baby book yet? Try to go through all the names you can and see if there’s one that stands out for both of you. If that doesn’t work, then I agree with what an above poster said - if you’re having two children, you name one and he names the other…OR you pick the first name, he picks the middle and then do the opposite for the next child.

Shorter names that are not too feminine:

[name_f]Marin[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f] (or [name_f]Eva[/name_f])
[name_f]Neve[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]

[name_u]Tegan[/name_u] is distinctly a girl’s name. I’ve always liked it and know a small handful of Tegans who are beautiful and talented.

I’ve never heard [name_u]Piper[/name_u] as a boy’s name, only a girl’s. You can alternately call her [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] as a nickname, which is clearly feminine.

You could use [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Corrina[/name_f] or [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] as a first name and your husband can call her [name_u]Corey[/name_u]. Incidentally, my best friend’s first name is [name_u]Corey[/name_u]. She is pretty, sweet-natured, and a professional opera singer. I would be happy to name any of my own girls [name_u]Corey[/name_u], after her. And that’s even after having broken off an engagement with a man named [name_u]Cory[/name_u]! “[name_u]Corey[/name_u]” on a girl is a strong name, underrated. [name_f]Do[/name_f] consider.

Here are some compromises:
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - you get your “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]” and he can call her “[name_u]Izzy[/name_u]” or “[name_f]Izzie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] - incorporates your “[name_f]Mae[/name_f]” but has more of the pluckiness he is looking for.
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] - a punchy name for him with the cute nn “[name_f]Lolo[/name_f]” for you
[name_u]Rory[/name_u] - lies somewhere between “[name_u]Riley[/name_u]” and “[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]” and can come from the pretty [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] or [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - you get “[name_f]Mae[/name_f]” and he might like “[name_f]Meg[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Jade[/name_f] - a feminine replacement for “[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]” with a fierceness
[name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Eva[/name_f], nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f] - his style, a beautiful name
[name_f]Claire[/name_f] - feminine but very stylish and trendy
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] - a replacement for [name_u]Piper[/name_u] that is obviously feminine
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] - personally I think this could go on both your lists
[name_f]Sara[/name_f] - an ultimate classic that still has style, and its nn is [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f] - somewhere between both your styles
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - a popular name for couples to choose when they can’t decide. Nn [name_f]Liv[/name_f] fits on your list
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] - unisex

[name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_u]Lindsey[/name_u]/[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u]
[name_f]Prue[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Macy[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Trina[/name_f]
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Miri[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Mindy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Priya[/name_f]
[name_u]Mischa[/name_u]
[name_f]Mariska[/name_f]
[name_f]Becca[/name_f]/Bekah
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Cammie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cambria[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Quinna[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f]

Sorry for any repeats.

I agree that a girly formal name and a short and spunky nn could satidfy both of you. Good luck! :slight_smile: