Help! I'm due in a week!

We are having our first baby-- a girl-- and I’m due in a week. I still haven’t decided on a name for sure! My husband likes everything on our list and is leaving it up to me and I’m being super indecisive. Our last name is [name]Nelson[/name] so I want something that won’t be too trendy or popular. I generally like classic, clean and unfussy names.

In our family it is also traditional to give a family name for the middle name. I’m thinking about [name]June[/name] (my great grandma’s name), [name]Ruth[/name] (my favorite aunt), [name]Karen[/name] (after my grandma and my mom), [name]Claire[/name] (after my sister).

The names we are thinking of are:
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name])
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] (nn [name]Bea[/name])
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Penny[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]

Or other ideas? Thanks!!

Small warning on the name [name]Alice[/name] - [name]Alice[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] was the full name of the maid on the [name]Brady[/name] Bunch. Not that most people will pick up on it, but I did right away. Probably the wrong demographic.

:slight_smile:

Good luck!

I like [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] best.

([name]Edit[/name]: I just saw the part about family names in the middle, so ignore my suggestions. I’d personally stay away from [name]June[/name], because the N blends with your last name, and [name]Karen[/name], which is dated.)

[name]Alice[/name]: I really love [name]Alice[/name], with with [name]Nelson[/name], it’s pretty ssss heavy when I say it out loud.

[name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name]): Ditto. What about [name]Louisa[/name], which I think flows even better with [name]Nelson[/name]?

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]June[/name] (I think it sounds great together, but [name]June[/name] doesn’t work with [name]Nelson[/name] for me, because the Ns blend together…)
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]

[name]Margot[/name]: I personally prefer [name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name] so far, but I do think [name]Margot[/name] is pretty. What about [name]Margaret[/name]?

[name]Margot[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Margot[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Margot[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Margot[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]

[name]Nora[/name]: I’m still sticking with [name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name], but I do think [name]Nora[/name] is pretty. :slight_smile:

[name]Nora[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] (but [name]Beatrice[/name] sounds hisssssy with [name]Nelson[/name] to me)
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]

[name]Beatrice[/name] (nn [name]Bea[/name]): I think [name]Beatrice[/name] is fantastic, but for me, [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is really ssss heavy.

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Penny[/name]): I think [name]Penelope[/name] is great (I’m a [name]Poppy[/name] fan, myself), but I’m not sure about it with [name]Nelson[/name]. I originally listed it above as a middle name for [name]Nora[/name], but then I realized that it contains [name]NEL[/name]. After that, all I heard was [name]PeNELope[/name] [name]NELson[/name].

[name]Eliza[/name]: OOOH! [name]LOVE[/name] IT! I’m a huge [name]Eliza[/name] fan, and I think it’s seriously amazing with your last name. :slight_smile:

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] (I think [name]Beatrix[/name] is a bit less sssssy than [name]Beatrice[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] (but the N blends with your last name)
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Iris[/name]: I love [name]Iris[/name], but this one is too ssss heavy with [name]Nelson[/name] for me. (It may not bother you, which is great!) :slight_smile:

[name]Cora[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cora[/name], but I think [name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name]) has a better flow with [name]Nelson[/name].

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] (I love this…)
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]

[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] (Although when I say it out loud, I hear [name]Cordelie[/name] Eclair,like the dessert)
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]June[/name] (n issue)
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

From your list, I’m voting for [name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Louise[/name], [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name]. :slight_smile: (I think [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] sound great!) :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

my favorites from your list:

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]: but prefer the spelling [name]Norah[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] (nn [name]Bea[/name]): prefer the spelling [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Penny[/name])
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]

my absolute favorites (in order) : [name]Cora[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Margot[/name]

In our family it is also traditional to give a family name for the middle name. I’m thinking about [name]June[/name] (my great grandma’s name), [name]Ruth[/name] (my favorite aunt), [name]Karen[/name] (after my grandma and my mom), [name]Claire[/name] (after my sister).

[name]Alice[/name] - don’t like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. Sounds like a tired waitress with sore feet.
[name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name]) [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] nn [name]Lulu[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. [name]Love[/name] it! Sounds like a fun, snappy and cool waitress. She’s waitressing while she’s going to college. Great syllable arrangement: 3-1-2.
[name]Margot[/name] - don’t really like it with [name]Nelson[/name].
[name]Nora[/name] - [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] sounds like a girl detective or a comic book character.
[name]Beatrice[/name] (nn [name]Bea[/name]) - don’t like with [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Penny[/name]) - I don’t think I like it with [name]Nelson[/name]. Have to think about it.
[name]Eliza[/name] - I love [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]June[/name] nn [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Nelson[/name].
[name]Iris[/name] - I love [name]Iris[/name] with [name]Nelson[/name]. Somehow it works even though they’re both two syllables. [name]Iris[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is extremely cool.
[name]Cora[/name] - I think [name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is really pretty. [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. [name]Magic[/name] 3-1-2 syllable arrangement.

My heart just gushed at the idea of [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]…It sounds amazingly wonderful! (I’m in love with [name]Cordelia[/name] and hubby doesn’t like it :frowning: ) My runner-up is [name]Eliza[/name], but I think [name]Cordelia[/name] flows a tad better.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

From your choices, I love [name]Penelope[/name].

I also agree that [name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name]) [name]Nelson[/name] sounds wonderful. [name]Cordelia[/name] is one of my favorite names.

I love [name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]

[name]Alice[/name]…sorry, I don’t like [name]Alice[/name] with your last name
[name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name])…I like [name]Louise[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Margot[/name] …I’m not a fan of
[name]Nora[/name]…[name]Nora[/name] [name]Karen[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is nice
[name]Beatrice[/name] (nn [name]Bea[/name])…[name]LOVE[/name]!! [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Nelon is my FAV!!
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Penny[/name])…Also [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]!!
[name]Eliza[/name]…not a fan of
[name]Iris[/name]…[name]Iris[/name] is pretty but I don’t like it with your last name
[name]Cora[/name]… [name]Cora[/name] doesn’t really flow with any of your family names

[name]Esme[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is very pretty
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] [name]Love[/name]!!

Good [name]Luck[/name] to you!!

Concerning the middle name, I think you should use either [name]June[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], or [name]Katherine[/name] (which originated from [name]Karen[/name]). [name]Karen[/name] is simply too much of a baby boomer name and doesn’t strike me as a good middle name. As for [name]Claire[/name], I love the name but think that it may mean more to honor an elder relative than your sister. You should also probably consider which family member’s name has not been honored by any of your relatives yet.

My favorite is [name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. I think this name is spunky and full of energy!

Best of luck to you and your family as you welcome the new baby!

I would DEFINITELY go for [name]Penelope[/name]. (Super cute) Also almost any of your middle name choices would work.

My Favs Are:
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]

I picked my favorite middle name for each first name you picked out. I am not a fan of [name]Karen[/name] as a middle name, so I didnt use that one at all.

[name]Alice[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Margot[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]

I think that with the one syllable middle name and two syllable last name a first name with more 3 or more syllables sounds best. my favs are [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Ruth[/name].

Thanks for all the help so far! Things are still going well and I’m slowly whittling down my list. I’m taking [name]Alice[/name] off my list (thanks for the heads up about the [name]Brady[/name] Bunch reference!) I’m also getting ride of [name]Iris[/name] (my least favorite) and [name]Beatrice[/name] (my husband’s least favorite.) Here is where I’m at:

[name]Margot[/name] [name]June[/name] (I love this, but I’m not sure of nicknames for [name]Margot[/name])
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (I think I like [name]Louise[/name] better than [name]Louisa[/name]-- I love [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Lulu[/name] but my husband is not sold on [name]Lulu[/name])
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] ([name]Nora[/name] is one of my favorites but I agree [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] sounds like a 20’s detective or a weather girl. Is this a good or a bad thing?)
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] ([name]Love[/name] this, but is [name]Eliza[/name] distinctive enough with [name]Nelson[/name]?)
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (I’m worried this will get too popular and I’m worried [name]Penelope[/name] sounds too fussy. I love [name]Penny[/name].)
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Claire[/name] (I like [name]Cordelia[/name] but my husband hates it, so we are sticking with [name]Cora[/name]. I love [name]Cora[/name], I think it’s beautiful and simple but I’m worried people will call her [name]Cory[/name] which I don’t love)

Thanks for other suggestions! I love [name]Lucy[/name], but my best friend just named her daughter [name]Lucy[/name].

I’m also kicking around;
[name]Verity[/name] [name]June[/name] (is [name]Verity[/name] too fussy?)
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]June[/name] ([name]Love[/name] [name]Lena[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] as nicknames, but I hate [name]Ellie[/name]-- problem?)

Thanks! I’m feeling a bit less stressed about coming up with something but I would love more input!

[name]Margot[/name] [name]June[/name] - [name]Meg[/name], [name]Maggie[/name] maybe for nicknames.
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t care for [name]Louise[/name], but love the nn [name]Lulu[/name].
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - Like [name]Nora[/name], don’t like it with [name]Nelson[/name].
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] ([name]FAVORITE[/name]) I love [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. Very cool name.
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - [name]Love[/name] Penelople too. [name]Penny[/name] is a cute nn too.
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Claire[/name] - Okay
[name]Verity[/name] [name]June[/name] (is [name]Verity[/name] too fussy?) [name]Don[/name]'t love [name]Verity[/name].
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]June[/name] - Cute. And [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] sounds better than [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name], but [name]Nora[/name] could be her nn.

My favorite from your list is [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Nora[/name], but think that [name]Eleanor[/name] has a better flow with [name]Nelson[/name].
[name]Eliza[/name] is probably my second choice.
[name]Penelope[/name] is good, and I don’t think it will become too popular, however I can see the fussy factor!
[name]Marjorie[/name]? A suggestion for the list…nn [name]Rory[/name], [name]Margie[/name] or [name]Jorie[/name]

[name]Margot[/name] [name]June[/name] - any nn for [name]Margaret[/name] could be a nn for [name]Margot[/name] imo. [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Mamie[/name]
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (I think I like [name]Louise[/name] better than [name]Louisa[/name]-- I love [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Lulu[/name] but my husband is not sold on [name]Lulu[/name]) - I love [name]Louisa[/name] nn [name]Lula[/name].
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] ([name]Nora[/name] is one of my favorites but I agree [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] sounds like a 20’s detective or a weather girl. Is this a good or a bad thing?) - I think it might get tiresome.
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] ([name]Love[/name] this, but is [name]Eliza[/name] distinctive enough with [name]Nelson[/name]?) - [name]Love[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] with [name]Nelson[/name]!
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (I’m worried this will get too popular and I’m worried [name]Penelope[/name] sounds too fussy. I love [name]Penny[/name].) - I don’t think [name]Penelope[/name] will get super popular. [name]Penny[/name] is so cute!
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Claire[/name] (I like [name]Cordelia[/name] but my husband hates it, so we are sticking with [name]Cora[/name]. I love [name]Cora[/name], I think it’s beautiful and simple but I’m worried people will call her [name]Cory[/name] which I don’t love) - My daughter is named [name]Laura[/name]. We never wanted anyone to call her [name]Laurie[/name]. My mother called her [name]Laurie[/name] a few times, but every time we asked her to stop. Finally she did.

I’m also kicking around;
[name]Verity[/name] [name]June[/name] (is [name]Verity[/name] too fussy?) [name]Verity[/name] is adorable! nn [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]June[/name] ([name]Love[/name] [name]Lena[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] as nicknames, but I hate [name]Ellie[/name]-- problem?) - don’t like [name]Lena[/name] or [name]Nora[/name] with [name]Nelson[/name]. [name]Ellie[/name] is too popular.

I’m starting to love the name [name]Leona[/name]. [name]Leona[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] would be pretty.

[name]Margot[/name] [name]June[/name]: I think this is really pretty, and you can call her [name]Maggie[/name]. [name]Maggie[/name] [name]Nelson[/name].

[name]Louise[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]: I think it’s pretty, but I personally prefer [name]Margot[/name] [name]June[/name] so far…

[name]Nora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]: I think [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] has a perky sound, but I think your other names work better than [name]Nora[/name] with [name]Nelson[/name]. I’d personally use [name]June[/name] with [name]Nora[/name], because [name]Nora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] is really R-heavy.

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] this! [name]LOVE[/name] it! I think [name]Eliza[/name] is sophisticated and elegant, and I really love it with your last name. I think [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] sounds fabulous!

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]: I think [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] is great, but with [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Nelson[/name], I hear too much [name]NEL[/name], in both [name]PeNELope[/name] and [name]Nelson[/name].

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Claire[/name]: I love [name]Cora[/name], and I totally hear you about the [name]Cory[/name] fears. One of my reasons for [name]Cordelia[/name], is that [name]Cora[/name] or [name]Cordie[/name] can be nicknames, making it hopefully less likely for [name]Cory[/name] to occur. (I understand that your husband doesn’t like it, though.)

While you can try to avoid the dreaded [name]Cory[/name], I don’t think you’ll be able to avoid it for certain, so if this bothers you, I’d go with another name.

[name]Verity[/name] [name]June[/name] (is [name]Verity[/name] too fussy?): I don’t think it’s too fussy at all! I prefer your other names, but I do think the potential [name]Vera[/name] nickname is cool.

[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]June[/name]: I think this would be a great way to you to arrive at [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m voting for [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. The N in [name]June[/name] blends with the N in [name]Nelson[/name], so if this bothers you, you can always use [name]Ruth[/name] in the middle. You have so many great names from which to choose, and I’m really excited for you! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

First of all: I really, really like your taste!

Since so many replied already, I’ll just say that my favorites are either
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]June[/name].

I think I like [name]Eliza[/name] a little better, because the N sound doesn’t repeat as it would in [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. [name]Eliza[/name] nelson seems to flow better and you wouldn’t have to worry about a nick name.
But anyway you decide: please let us know when your baby girl arrived!

[name]Margot[/name] [name]June[/name] - pretty, and I wouldn”t worry about nicknames. While [name]Marge[/name] is okay, [name]Margot[/name] is the sort of name which doesn”t particularly need shortening. Nicknames tend to just come naturally anyway, and sometimes aren”t even related to the name - I knew a little girl who got called Bean because she was so excitable (jumping bean), and another with a really strange name, because of a sound she always made.
[name]Louise[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - again, pretty and traditional
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - too many r sounds, and [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is too much alliteration.
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]June[/name] - quite nice, though not one of my favourites. It goes just fine with [name]Nelson[/name], though.
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - I don”t think this will become overly popular, and I love it - my absolute favourite! If you call her [name]Penny[/name] it”s not fussy at all, either.
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Claire[/name] - [name]Cora[/name] is nice, but there is too much alliteration with [name]Claire[/name] - [name]Cora[/name] [name]June[/name], however, is lovely.
[name]Verity[/name] [name]June[/name] - I love this, and I don”t think [name]Verity[/name] is too fussy.
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]June[/name] - avoid this if you hate [name]Ellie[/name] that much - while you may call her [name]Lena[/name]/[name]Nora[/name], other people will automatically nickname her [name]Ellie[/name].
I hope this helps!