Help me choose the perfect Zosime combo! {long post + polls}

After letting this combo sit on the back burner for a couple of weeks, I’ve come up with a new list. I have a feeling about things this time around - I think The One is on here, I just have to sift through and find it!

I’m looking for the perfect word name to round out my Zosime / Illyria combo. Think cosmic, fiery, primordial, vibrant, luminous, and futuristic. You’re welcome to reference the moodboard from this thread to get a sense of the vibe I’m going for.

For flow purposes, Zosime would be pronounced ZOH-sih-may and Illyria would be ih-LEER-ee-ah.

These are the names I am choosing from:

Zosime Aeon Illyria
Aeon is pronounced EE-ohn, and means “life; vital force; being” and “forever; timeless; for eternity.” Plato used the term to mean the eternal world of ideas which exists behind the physical world, while modern astronomers use it to mean a period of one billion years. It is also an archaic term for deity, and in Gnosticism, the various emanations of God are known as Aeons. It also has sci-fi cred via Aeon Flux, a psychedelic adult animation series turned Charlize Theron film. This name feels ancient, yet futuristic; scientific, yet mystical. It gives me a sense of awe and wonder at the vastness of time and space.

Zosime Aster Illyria
Aster is a wildflower with star-shaped blossoms. The name comes from a Greek word meaning “star; starlike.” An aster / asteria / asterism is also a term for a star-shaped refraction of light inside a gemstone, such as a star sapphire. I like that this is a botanical name, a gem name, and a celestial name.

Zosime Cinder Illyria
Cinder means “an ember or smoldering ash left by a fire.” The name comes from a proto-Indo-European word meaning “liquid slag from a forge,” but it was later conflated with an unrelated, yet similarly spelled, French word meaning “ashes.” When used as a name, Cinder is often a reference to Cinderella. I love the molten imagery as well as the “ember” meaning, since I cannot use Ember as a name. I also love the sci-fi connection via The Lunar Chronicles series, a cyberpunk retelling of several fairytales in which Cinder is the main character.

Zosime Cobalt Illyria
Cobalt is a color name as well as the name of a metal on the periodic table. Cobalt blue pigment (created from cobalt ore) was one of the primary colors used in Vincent Van Gogh’s Starry, Starry Night. The meaning of the name is actually “goblin; trouble-maker,” because when the ore was first discovered, the miners mistook it for silver and many of them fell ill due to the toxic gases emitted during processing. Naturally, they blamed it on the kobolds, the goblins of the mines.

Zosime Falcon Illyria
Falcon is a bird of prey. The name comes from a Latin word meaning “curved blade; hook; sickle; war-scythe,” which is thought to be a reference to the shape of the bird’s beak, wings, and/or talons. I like the fierce imagery this name evokes, as well as the sci-fi reference via the Millenium Falcon.

Zosime Illyria Firefly
Firefly is a bioluminescent insect that lights up with a warm golden color to communicate with others of its kind. The name comes from a Greek word meaning “to shine.” Other names for fireflies include “lightning bug, glow worm, little ember, fire devil, and little spark.” It is also a sci-fi reference due to the cult classic show by the same name, Firefly, which refers to the class of starship that is the primary setting for the series. I also love the song “Fireflies” by Owl City. I get a warm, glowing, whimsical feeling from this name, and it reminds me of my childhood. (Swapped the name order for better flow.)

Zosime Flame Illyria
Flame refers to the light and heat given off by combustion. It can also be used to refer to someone you love. It comes from a Latin word meaning “to shimmer, gleam, or shine.” I love the symbolism of passion, energy, and life, as well as the connection with love.

Zosime Halo Illyria
Halo comes from a Greek word meaning “divine aura; glory.” It refers to an optical phenomenon in which light from a celestial body reflects off ice crystals in the air, creating a ring of light in the sky. Halos are used in religious iconography to denote the holiness of a figure by placing a ring or disk of light around or behind the head. The name has a sci-fi look and feel, boosted by the Halo video game series. (I also think of the Beyonce song.)

Zosime Onyx Illyria
Onyx is a crystal, most commonly black, with powerful protective properties. The name comes from a Greek word meaning “claw; talon; fingernail.” I like that it is a gem name that feels powerful and strong instead of cutesy, and the meaning gives me fierce imagery of falcons and harpies and valkyries.

Zosime Phlox Illyria
Phlox is a family of fragrant, brightly-colored wildflowers. The name comes from a Greek word meaning, “flame,” due to the intensity of the colors. In flower language, phlox represents unity, harmony, and partnership. It has a futuristic look and sound, and the starship doctor from Star Trek: Enterprise is named Phlox, giving it additional sci-fi cred.

Zosime Solar Illyria
Solar is an adjective meaning “of the sun; related to the sun,” as well as a surname meaning “ancestral home.” I get clean, bright, futuristic vibes from this name, likely due in part to solar technology, a form of renewable energy, and in part to the concept of solarpunk, a movement that envisions a future in which we have solved the challenges of climate change and sustainability and live in harmony with nature.

Zosime Topaz Illyria / Zosime Illyria Topaz
Topaz is a gemstone, most commonly found in shades of yellow, orange, and golden-brown, with energizing and mood-enhancing properties. The name comes from a Sanskrit word meaning “heat; fire.” I love the warm golden feeling of this name and the associations with fire. (Not sure which order flows best.)

Zosime Illyria Tourmaline
Tourmaline is pronounced TOOR-mah-leen. The name comes from a Sinhalese word meaning “stone of mixed colors; gem of the rainbow,” which is apt, because of all the gemstones, tourmaline has the most color variety. The crystal is known for its creative properties, and Shakespeare reportedly kept a piece on him to prevent writer’s block. I love the colorful meaning, as well as the character Tourmaline from Carnival Row. (Swapped the name order for better flow.)

Now for the polls! Please choose your favorites:

• Zosime Aeon Illyria
  • Zosime Aster Illyria
  • Zosime Cinder Illyria
  • Zosime Cobalt Illyria
  • Zosime Falcon Illyria
  • Zosime Illyria Firefly
  • Zosime Flame Illyria
  • Zosime Halo Illyria
  • Zosime Onyx Illyria
  • Zosime Phlox Illyria
  • Zosime Solar Illyria
  • Zosime Topaz Illyria / Zosime Illyria Topaz
  • Zosime Illyria Tourmaline

0 voters

Now please choose your least favorites:

• Zosime Aeon Illyria
  • Zosime Aster Illyria
  • Zosime Cinder Illyria
  • Zosime Cobalt Illyria
  • Zosime Falcon Illyria
  • Zosime Illyria Firefly
  • Zosime Flame Illyria
  • Zosime Halo Illyria
  • Zosime Onyx Illyria
  • Zosime Phlox Illyria
  • Zosime Solar Illyria
  • Zosime Topaz Illyria / Zosime Illyria Topaz

0 voters

If you had to choose only one combo, which one would you pick?

• Zosime Aeon Illyria
  • Zosime Aster Illyria
  • Zosime Cinder Illyria
  • Zosime Cobalt Illyria
  • Zosime Falcon Illyria
  • Zosime Illyria Firefly
  • Zosime Flame Illyria
  • Zosime Halo Illyria
  • Zosime Onyx Illyria
  • Zosime Phlox Illyria
  • Zosime Solar Illyria
  • Zosime Topaz Illyria
  • Zosime Illyria Topaz

0 voters

Lastly, if you had to eliminate only one combo, which one would you veto?

• Zosime Aeon Illyria
  • Zosime Aster Illyria
  • Zosime Cinder Illyria
  • Zosime Cobalt Illyria
  • Zosime Falcon Illyria
  • Zosime Illyria Firefly
  • Zosime Flame Illyria
  • Zosime Halo Illyria
  • Zosime Onyx Illyria
  • Zosime Phlox Illyria
  • Zosime Solar Illyria
  • Zosime Topaz Illyria
  • Zosime Illyria Topaz

0 voters

As always, you’re welcome to expound on your choices in the comments. I never say no to feedback!

Thank you so much for all of your help! I think I’ve almost got this one figured out!

I like [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] as the second name overall, first middle name! So my votes reflect that

1 Like

Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] and Zosime [name_u]Solar[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] are my two favourites.

Zosime [name_u]Solar[/name_u] [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - The connection to fighting for climate justice is really important to me, especially because its connected to a movement pushing for change. I’m a climate activist and it’s my biggest passion. I also like how it means “ancestral home”, I find deep connections into the past really interesting. I also really like names connected to space and the universe, and [name_u]Solar[/name_u] is one that is much more unique and has a lot of meaning in it.

Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] - I really love the name [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] and the insect as well, the meaning of light and “to shine” feels so special and it seems as though the child with this name is lighting up the world. And with the actual insect, how it lights up the sky when it is pitch black, seems like a reminder of hope and is a really nice meaning to have in a name. [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] has such an amazing imagery for me, with so much purpose.

I also really like Zosime Phlox [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - Phlox is such a cool name that I really like both the sound and meaning of. It is a really strong and brave sounding name.

1 Like

i get an “i voted” badge now right??? lol

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], I love Zosime! [name_f]My[/name_f] grandma has a cousine named Zosime, tho she spells it like Zosima!

1 Like

I am bedazzled by Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] Firefly!!

1 Like

@eattacosforbreakfast - Oh, good to know! I wasn’t sure about the back-to-back vowel sounds, but some combos just didn’t work with [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] at the end.

@LeafTree - Thank you for the in-depth analysis! I think it’s amazing that you’re so passionate about environmental activism - this is something our world desperately needs! You might really appreciate the solarpunk movement and aesthetic. I also love your insights on the Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] combo! I deeply connect with the symbolism you describe. I have a lot of whimsical, symbolic nature names in my masc combos, and I was starting to feel like those were lacking from my femme combos, which is part of how [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] came to be on this list. It brings me feelings of warmth and nostalgia for my childhood - fireflies were everywhere in the southern US where I grew up, but now that I’m on the opposite corner of the country, we rarely see them here. I also feel like those little lights evoke a sense of hope, magic, imagination, and wonder. I think Phlox is an awesome name, and I’d love to see it used more often. I just don’t think I have the same connection to it that I do with some of the others.

@mea.ola - I don’t know! I think the Discourse Badges are custom created by the admins. I know some instances award a badge for giving or receiving 20 votes, but I haven’t seen that one yet on Nameberry.

@kristendaniella - Oh my gosh, I am so excited that you know a real live Zosima! How does she pronounce it?

@Greyblue - I’m so glad you love it!

As a result of all the votes, your lovely feedback, and my own ruminations, I’ve narrowed everything down to TWO final options:

Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] - warm, whimsical, nostalgic, the community favorite.

and

Zosime Aeon [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - mystical, expansive, futuristic, the one I can’t let go.

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are Aeon and [name_u]Cobalt[/name_u]! I think I slightly prefer Aeon but [name_u]Cobalt[/name_u] hadn’t gotten any votes on the single-choice poll so I gave it mine!

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: In seeing the update, my vote definitely goes to Aeon! I’ll be adding it to my own list :grin:

1 Like

Well I don’t actually know her, I just know that my grandma talks to her sometimes! But I always found her name intriguing.
[name_f]My[/name_f] mom and grandma pronounce it like Zo-seem-ah

1 Like

Well, between these two, I choose Zosime Aeon Illyria. Like the aesthetic moodboard, it gives me Steven Universe vibes! Also, personally, I just think Aeon is a lot more cooler and feels more unique. Firefly is pretty, Aeon is outstanding and powerful! The more I think about it, the more I love it!

1 Like

I would go with Zosime Illyria Firefly, then! My favorite was normally Zosime Onyx Illyria, but the former has the same whimsical and strong vibes as the latter! :blush:

1 Like

i was kidding-

there is no badge like that on nb to my knowledge

i just meant that i voted in the poll, i’ve been here since november 2020 & have been a nb stalker for long before that, i def would have gotten the badge by now if there was one

also there is nothing on the badges page soooo…

I love Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] Firefly!!! It’s beautiful and ethereal, and [name_u]Owl[/name_u] City is my happy place and brings so much peace; it’s a wonderful connection.

Also coincidentally I’ve been trying to decide between Lunaria and [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] as firsts recently haha :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

@SparkleNinja18 - I’m so excited to see some love for Aeon, and thrilled to hear it’s going on your list as well! I think it will fit in beautifully with the sort of spunky, cosmic,

@kristendaniella - It is a gorgeous name! I used to have [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] on my list (pronounced very similarly! coh-SEE-mah like the Orphan [name_m]Black[/name_m] character), but I didn’t really love the meaning (“order; beauty”). Then I stumbled across Zosime as a variant of [name_m]Zosimus[/name_m] and the meaning (“vital; survivor; likely to survive”) just sang to me! I had a dickens of a time figuring out the pronunciation - some sources said zoh-SEE-mah, others said ZOH-sih-mee, zoh-SIH-mee, zoh-SEE-mee, ZOH-sih-may, zoh-SEEM, zoh-ZHEM, etc. I did a poll for the most intuitive pronunciation and got some feedback on what it would be in Greek, in [name_u]French[/name_u], etc., and finally just chose my favorite, haha.

@ShaniaLiz - Ahh, I’m so glad you love Aeon!! I do think it has that powerful, cosmic, crystalline vibe. :star2: :gem: :comet:

@missniwalyra - Thank you so much! I tended to think of [name_u]Firefly[/name_u] as whimsical and [name_u]Onyx[/name_u] as powerful, so it’s nice to hear that they both give you the feeling of whimsy and strength at the same time!

@mea.ola - Oh okay! I know that I’ve seen voting badges on other sites that use Discourse, but I also know that badges can be customized or handed out manually by admins, so the badges available vary from site to site. This is my second account with NB, but I’ve been a member since way back in 2012, so there have been a lot of updates and a few different platforms over the years, and I’m not super great at keeping up with the changes in functionality :sweat_smile:

@Myosotis - This comment absolutely made my day! I love that Lunaria and [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] are both on your list! I could gush about my love for these two names for pages. Lunaria is so mystical and celestial, but also has this lovely earthy connection because it’s a plant name. Synesthesia brain says it’s all shadowy purples and greens with flashes of silver. [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] feels ancient and ethereal, but also has this fiery, cosmic vibe due to the meaning (“living star; the one that sparks”) which I just adore. I get a deep midnight blue with silver stars and flickers of flames.

I was thinking about these names last night as I was trying to fall asleep, kind of taking a step back to ask myself why I couldn’t commit to a combo. I suddenly wondered if it was because I was so set on having Zosime and [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] together, and wondered if they’d be better off split into two separate combos, like I did with the previous aesthetic (I was set on [name_f]Melusine[/name_f], but I couldn’t decide between [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and [name_u]Echo[/name_u] or Fontaine and [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f]. I finally split them into two combos - [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u] [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] and [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f] Fontaine - and now I’m even more in love than I was to begin with!).

After playing around with some of my favorites from the moodboard thread and the name list, I wound up with Zosime Aeon [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] and [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] Furiae [name_f]Moon[/name_f]. I adore both of these and have that little excited “zing” inside when I read them, the feeling that I was missing from all the Zosime [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] combos! So I’m going to sit with these for a while and see if they still feel right.

All my thanks to you lovelies for your patience with my floundering and your bottomless well of creative ideas! Femme names are sooooo hard for me, but with your help, I’m slowly building a list of combos I love!

7 Likes

I just have to say, I love Zosime Aeon Soraya!! :heart_eyes: Definitely unique, cosmic, crystalline and beautifully powerful! It both looks and sounds lovely, almost royal even! :heart:

Illyria Furiae Moon gives me Sailor Moon vibes (and not only because of the name Moon)! Could easily be one of the guardians imo! An otherworldly and pretty name. Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Furiae?

2 Likes

@ShaniaLiz - Eeeee! This comment made my day! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I love, love, love everything you said about Zosime Aeon [name_f]Soraya[/name_f]! I feel like it’s exactly the vibe I was looking for - bold, mystical, powerful, cosmic, futuristic, and elemental. I feel like [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] gives the combo an open, expansive feeling that I was missing with [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - almost like [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] was too narrow, if that makes sense?
I also adore that [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] Furiae [name_f]Moon[/name_f] is giving you [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f] vibes, because that was definitely part of my inspiration! I love how [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] ___ [name_f]Moon[/name_f] has this dreamy, celestial, silvery feeling, but then putting Furiae in the middle brings in some of that fierce energy!
I knew an artist who used Furiae as their online handle, and they always pronounced it FYOOR-ee-ay, which I love. I’m still a beginner when it comes to Latin pronunciation, though, so take this with a grain of salt!

1 Like