Help me combine two styles?

I’m going over my long list and thinking about adding some names to my user card and I feel like I have very polarized taste in names. A lot of my favorites are either timeless, traditional, quite popular classic names or what I lovingly refer to as “Catholic old people names”; that is, old fashioned choices, often with family namesakes. These names are full of meaning and history to me, and I love their sense of grounded stability, strength, and quiet power. On the other hand, I also love a lot of somewhat more offbeat choices, often either Celtic or nature names. These have a kind of romantic, magical feel to them (several are drawn from fairytale or legend) and feel a little bit more dreamy, although some of them also have very strong, powerful elements.

[name_f]My[/name_f] issue is that I have a hard time coming up with ways to combine both styles. I have a hard time picturing many of these names as siblings, or even combined as combos (although I probably will use family names for middles, so it’s a bit of a moot point). Some of them do fit in both categories: [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], for instance, is a solid classic but also feels medieval enough to pair with a more fantastical choice. I’ve sort of reconciled myself to having to pick one style, and I think it will probably be the traditional classics, because they feel more usable to me and I’m a lot more conservative/less willing to take risks than many on Nameberry. But I don’t entirely feel comfortable letting my other, slightly bolder, favorites go.

[name_m]Can[/name_m] you guys help me combine these two styles, whether in a sibset or in a series of combos, so I can maybe picture an alternative to having to pick between two styles? [name_u]Or[/name_u] just give me advice if you feel similarly stranded between two types of name.

The traditional favorites:

[name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f]

[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u], [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_m]Nathan[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]

The creative favorites:

[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_f]Siena[/name_f], [name_u]Winter[/name_u], [name_f]Meadow[/name_f], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Aoife[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_f]Anora[/name_f], [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], Laurel, [name_u]Skye[/name_u]

[name_u]Rhys[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], [name_m]Eamon[/name_m], [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_u]Quentin[/name_u], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], [name_u]Winslow[/name_u], [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]

1 Like

I totally relate to having multiple different styles, but I can actually see these two categories fitting together really nicely. Some of the names seem almost interchangeable between the two styles; for example, I can see [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], and [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] as traditional favorites. [name_f]My[/name_f] suggestion for integrating the different styles would be either:

1. Choose one category to use for firsts and one for middles, so that each category is represented in each combo. This would allow you to keep the traditional favorites in the first name slot if those are the ones that feel most usable to you. --OR–
  2. Look for common threads across the combos to create sib-sets. For example, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] in your “traditional favorites” category is also a nature name, and easily seems like a sister for [name_f]Siena[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], and [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], for example.

I would say your boys’ names seem maybe a little more different from each other than your girls’ names; I would have sorted them about exactly the same way you did, whereas with your girls’ names I might have categorized some of them differently. So maybe the first strategy would work better for boys’ names?

Combo examples:

Mary [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]

Sibset examples:

Eleanor, [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], & [name_f]Anora[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], & [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], & [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]
[name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], & [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], [name_u]Quentin[/name_u], & [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], & [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]

3 Likes

These are all so lovely! [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] are a few of my top names, and I also love others on your lists!

First, I think some of your names are more flexible in terms of which category they could belong to. From your “traditional” list, I think [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] could go either way, and depending on what other siblings/combo names they are paired with, [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. From your “creative” list, I think [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] could go either way, and possibly also [name_u]Rowan[/name_u].

Here are some sibsets I like that combine names from both categories:
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]Winslow[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_u]Winter[/name_u], [name_u]Lark[/name_u]/Sparrow
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]/Iris, [name_u]Winter[/name_u], [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_u]Quentin[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

And some more suggestions that I think woukd go with at least some names from either category:
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Westley[/name_m]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Annalise[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]

1 Like

Rosemary [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Anora[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] and [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (ooo this one is my favorite)

I actually think these styles go really well together!

Rhys [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and [name_u]Francis[/name_u] [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]

1 Like

I love these two styles together actually! I think they can work really well either as combos or for sibsets because like other people have said some of the names can fit in with both categories.
Some ideas for combos:
[name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Siena[/name_f]
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Quentin[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]

Ideas for sibsets:
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] & [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] & [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] & [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Luke[/name_m] & [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Francis[/name_u], & [name_f]Siena[/name_f]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m], [name_m]Eamon[/name_m], & [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], & [name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_f]Theresa[/name_f], [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], & [name_u]Winslow[/name_u]

1 Like

i think combining two contrasting styles makes a combination beautiful, so i dont see this much as a problem but more as an opportunity for you to have the quiet, powerful and traditional aspect you love about your timeless favourites and the magical, ethereal element you love about your creative favourites

combination ideas :

Mary [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] (:heart:)
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Anora[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]

Emrys [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (:heart:)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]

with the versatility of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] you can bridge the styles by using it in a sibset:

Rosemary, [name_m]Nathan[/name_m], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]

Victoria & [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

Eleanor & [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

Eleanor & [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]!

1 Like

@dandy_orchid I love [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] + [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], and all the sibsets you made! Thanks for your advice.

@copper_porcupine thank you very much, especially for your suggestions. I love [name_u]Wren[/name_u], but I don’t know if I can see it as my child, and I really like [name_f]Annalise[/name_f], although I think I prefer the [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] spelling, but both are nice.

@cactusgram [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] and [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is STUNNING! Also love [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]! Thanks so much.

@andieamo [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Quentin[/name_u], [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], and [name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] are so pretty!

3 Likes