Help me love my boys names again!

I’ve realised that, whilst there are plenty of names on my sprawling longlist that I like, only a few make my heart sing (and the ones that do are mostly very popular!). Given how lovely the [name_u]Berry[/name_u] community is and how infectious I find your enthusiasm for names, I was hoping you could help with that - my list is below, and a few questions to answer. You can do as many or as few as you like, and thank you in advance for your help!

1. What imagery springs to mind for my names in general, or a particular section?
  2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think any of the names in my ‘love but uncertain about using’ category are particularly usable/unusable?
  3. What is your personal Top 10 out of all categories?
  4. Combos combos combos!
  5. What words would you use to summarise my style?
  6. Any other names you think I might love? (Not a long list, please, just one or two suggestions!)
    Loves of my life :herb:
    [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], Henri/Henry, [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Milo[/name_u], [name_m]Nathan[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
    [name_u]Love[/name_u], but uncertain about using… :leaves:
    [name_m]Becket[/name_m], [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_u]Blaise[/name_u], [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Harold[/name_m] ‘Hal’, [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]
    Like :potted_plant:
    [name_u]Bennet[/name_u], [name_u]Charles[/name_u], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_u]Edward[/name_u], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] ‘Freddy’, [name_m]Hugh[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Saul[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_u]Seth[/name_u], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_u]Walter[/name_u]
    Need to love again :ear_of_rice:
    [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_u]Daniel[/name_u], [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], [name_u]William[/name_u]
    For the middle spot! :four_leaf_clover:
    [name_u]Arbor[/name_u], [name_u]Bear[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Hawk[/name_m], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], [name_u]Wolf[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal top ten from your lists are in no particular order…

[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Charles[/name_u]
[name_u]William[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]

[name_u]William[/name_u], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_u]Charles[/name_u] are all super classic, never go out of style names that you just can’t go wrong with.

[name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] are old man chic which I love.

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_u]Milo[/name_u] all have an earthy, naturey feel which I also love.

And [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is just a super happy biblical classic that’s common, but it feels unusual.

[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_u]William[/name_u] [name_u]Fox[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Arbor[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_u]Bear[/name_u]

1 Like
  1. I am going to use emojis for this one:

:champagne::sun_behind_large_cloud::earth_asia::herb::film_strip::old_key:

1. I’d love to see you use [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] & [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]. They are all usable. [name_m]Harold[/name_m] may be a little dated but not unusable.

2. [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_u]Walter[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_u]Charles[/name_u] & [name_u]Edward[/name_u].

3. I am not good with them so I’m afraid I will have to skip this one, sorry!

4. Traditional. Natural. [name_f]Regal[/name_f].

5. [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] or [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] came to mind.

1 Like
  1. I see these as a group of cheeky chappies, full of spirit, mischief, laughter & fun: [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m].
    [name_m]Saul[/name_m] and [name_u]Walter[/name_u] are sweet, gentle kids.
    [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_u]George[/name_u] and [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] bring to mind golden tones and homely vibes. Homely vibes for [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] too but he’s coloured in pinks and browns.
    [name_m]Becket[/name_m], [name_u]Beau[/name_u] & [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] are the boho free spirits. I watched a TikTok of a very little one composing his own music on the piano & he called it Lunar [name_u]Eclipse[/name_u]. He was all goofy smiles and wiggles one second and intense focus the next…I don’t remember if his name was shared, but that’s a [name_m]Becket[/name_m], [name_u]Beau[/name_u] or [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] to me!

2. I have a [name_u]Beck[/name_u] myself who is in his late teens and he likes his name, so I have to endorse [name_m]Becket[/name_m] as usable and awesome! I find [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] lends itself to familiar nicknames such as [name_u]Will[/name_u], [name_m]Fred[/name_m], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] - it seems extremely usable to me. I don’t find any unusable, however the only association I have with [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] is the HP one so that’s quite prominent - a bit like if the only [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] I knew was the HP character (which happily it isn’t).

3. [name_f]My[/name_f] top 10 (today!) ~

[name_m]Becket[/name_m]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_u]George[/name_u]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]

1. [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
    [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_u]Arbor[/name_u]
    [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] [name_u]Bear[/name_u]
    [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] (nn Bear) [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]

2. Classic/vintage boho!

3. Suggestions - [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] & [name_u]Lyle[/name_u] & as a middle: [name_u]River[/name_u].

1 Like
  1. [name_f]Imagery[/name_f]:
    Finely tailored suits, flat caps and braces, climbing trees to read a book in peace, old books and towering library shelves, cheeky smiles, and DIY, home science experiments

2. Usability of 'love but uncertain
    All perfectly usable to me, [name_m]Harold[/name_m] gives me a bit of pause, purely because I find it a very hefty, heavy name and then you’ve got the possibility of him becoming [name_u]Harry[/name_u] too…

3. [name_f]My[/name_f] Personal Top Ten of your Lists:
    [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]

4. Combos:

[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m] - [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] - [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] [name_u]George[/name_u] - [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] [name_u]Bear[/name_u] - [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] - [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] - [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] - [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] - [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Milo[/name_u]

1. Your style:
    [name_m]Classic[/name_m], solid, sturdy, charming, earthy

6: A few suggestions:

[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_u]Kestrel[/name_u]

(one inspired by each section - hope that’s not too many!)

1 Like

@benton_s_mama Thank you so much for the combos!! I’m obsessed with [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Arbor[/name_u] and [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
@AStudyIn_Scarlet I agree, I would love to see myself using Cosmo… I just with someone else would test the water by doing it first!
@EdgeOfTheMeadow Thank you so much for the lovely imagery! Great to hear someone with a positive experience of [name_m]Becket[/name_m] - [name_u]Beck[/name_u] is adorable.
@Greyblue I love [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] Gideon!!

4 Likes
  1. for these names in general, i picture a cute little house in the mountains. playing outside in the grass with the family dog, reading books by the fire, and making chocolate chip cookies.
    emojis: :teddy_bear::sunny::herb::basket: :bug:

2. especially usable: becket (though i think two t’s would be the default spelling for most people), beau, malachi, noah, rafferty, raphael
    especially unusable: cosmo & blaise (just compared to your other names!), harold, wilfred

3. top 10 in no particular order: arthur, henry, theodore, oliver, edmund, isaac, caspian, valentine, rafferty, raphael

4. alexander fox
    milo kit
    oliver becket
    arthur wolf / arthur isaac
    frederick raphael
    sebastian walter
    daniel felix
    edmund isaac
    benjamin cosmo
    charles gideon
    samuel valentine

5. classic, with a bit of a twist! usable and recognizable, but not boring.

6. victor and percy!

1 Like

@venezio [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Becket[/name_m] is so cute!! And I adore [name_m]Victor[/name_m]. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Oh and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_u]Walter[/name_u] is AMAZING

1. I feel like most of them would suit a little boy with messy hair, a mischievous grin, mud on his sweater and his rain boots that are a little too big.
  2. I think they‘re all very usable! I would especially love to meet a baby [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] and a baby [name_m]Hal[/name_m].
  3. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite ten would be: [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_u]Henry[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u].
  4. [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Hawk[/name_m], [name_u]George[/name_u] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_u]Walter[/name_u], [name_u]Milo[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Walter[/name_u], [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] [name_u]Bear[/name_u], [name_m]Harold[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] “Hal“, [name_m]Becket[/name_m] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
  5. Outdoorsy, laid-back, cozy, British/European, quirky classic
  6. [name_u]Pascal[/name_u] “Pax“, [name_m]Ansel[/name_m], [name_u]Leander[/name_u]
2 Likes
  1. I am going to use emojis for this as well.
    :sunflower::evergreen_tree::paw_prints::herb::leaves:

2. None of these read particularly ‘unusable’ to me. I will say some of them sound older, so you may want to consider a newer-sounding middle name to balance it out.

3. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_u]Henry[/name_u], [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_u]Blaise[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_u]Seth[/name_u], [name_m]Nathan[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

4. [name_u]Beau[/name_u] [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Louis[/name_m]

5. I’ll say somewhat rustic

6. I’ve recently been in love with the combo [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Virgil[/name_u], which I feel sort of aligns with your style.

1 Like

Sorry it has been so long! Hopefully this is still helpful!

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal top 10:

1. [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] – one of my top boy names at the moment! I love how handsome and polished [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] is, but with the option for the down to earth and friendly [name_u]Freddy[/name_u]!
  2. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] – this is such a simple yet charming name, and I adore the nickname [name_u]Tommy[/name_u]!
  3. [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] – such a dashing name! I do prefer [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], largely because of its nickname potential.
  4. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] – a grand and stately name, with a variety of nickname options! [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite is [name_u]Sasha[/name_u].
  5. [name_u]Milo[/name_u] – such a sweet, homey little name! I picture a little boy who likes climbing trees and playing with caterpillars!
  6. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] – I really like the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] association, as well as the nickname [name_u]Eddie[/name_u]!
  7. [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] – this is such a spunky, vintage choice that totally deserves a revival!
  8. [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] – just a sweet and outdoorsy sounding name. It feels like the boy next door while not being super common.
  9. [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] – this is just such a friendly sounding name, and [name_u]Sam[/name_u] is so great (especially because of [name_m]Samwise[/name_m] from LotR!)
  10. [name_u]William[/name_u] – a very handsome name, with the gentle [name_u]Will[/name_u] as a nickname option. I like that [name_u]William[/name_u] sounds formal but not overly fusty.
    (11. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] – a very grand name!)

Combos:
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
[name_m]Harold[/name_m] [name_u]Fox[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] [name_u]Bear[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Hawk[/name_m]

1 Like

@Gbeauch2023 Oh my goodness, [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Virgil[/name_u] is stunning! (I actually met a little [name_u]Virgil[/name_u] yesterday and that was amazing…) glad to have a vote of confidence on [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] (basically just on my uncertain list because my dad despises it)
@may.rose No need to apologise - I’m the self-indulgent person providing a five-part questionnaire on my own names!! I’m really glad to find someone else on this site who shares my love of [name_u]Milo[/name_u], and [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] is going straight on my combo list

1 Like