Help me love the name Diana!

My husband LOVES the name [name]Diana[/name]. He is a hunter and [name]Diana[/name] is the [name]Roman[/name] goddess of hunting (as well as the moon and forest). I think that [name]Diana[/name] is a great name, it has all the elements tha I require in a name: it is not overused or trendy but is easy to recognize, spell and pronounce. I also like the meaning “divine” and the history of the name as well.

BUT… I can’t imagine saying [name]Diana[/name] a hundred times a day, it is just too long and somewhat hard to say. I think it is a great name for a teenager through old woman. But I don’t think it is very cute for a baby or toddler.
I need a nice nickname…
[name]Di[/name] - don’t want to use because I don’t want to say “die” to my kid
[name]Anna[/name] - love, but have a [name]SIL[/name] named [name]Annie[/name] that we see often.
[name]Diane[/name]- DH suggested this, I find dated and not very cute.

SO… Can you think of any other nn’s that would work? It’s ok even if it is a stretch.
I was thinking about using a short mn like [name]Kate[/name] and calling her [name]Kate[/name] “around the house” but using [name]Diana[/name] mostly in public. Would that be wierd? I have never used a nn myself or with anyone in my family. Or other mn that woud make a good nn for/with [name]Diana[/name]?

I think [name]Diana[/name] is so beautiful, I recently started to appreciate her! Personally I would call her [name]Dinah[/name], which is one of my favorite names. It’s not generally thought of as a nickname, but I think it’s quite close to saying [name]Diana[/name] really fast.

[name]Dina[/name] - prn. [name]Dee[/name]-na
[name]Didi[/name]
[name]Dia[/name] - dee-uh

I don’t know about calling her [name]Kate[/name] at home and [name]Diana[/name] in public. Maybe that would work for you, but for me it would be confusing, and I think I’d just end up calling her [name]Kate[/name] all the time.

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Diana[/name] is lovely! I like [name]Lyndsay[/name]'s [name]Dina[/name] suggestion, and [name]Didi[/name] is cute, too - especially if you get a D middle name…

Another I thought of, and this is a stretch, is [name]Daisy[/name]. I was thinking you could do something with DC or DZ initials - which sort of sound like [name]Daisy[/name] - and it could work (e.g., [name]Diana[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Diana[/name] [name]Cate[/name], [name]Diana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Diana[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Diana[/name] [name]Zoe[/name]). If she happens to be born in [name]April[/name], [name]Daisy[/name] is the [name]April[/name] birth flower, too!

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Dina[/name] is a good idea and seems like a real nn for [name]Diana[/name]. I am not really a fan of [name]Didi[/name], cute, but seems like a nn for someone my mom’s age.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the idea of [name]Daisy[/name]. [name]Daisy[/name] is so cute! I have been looking for a floral/nature name for this baby but nothing really seems to be working. I suggested [name]Daisy[/name] as a nn for [name]Margaret[/name] to DH a while back and he wasn’t thrilled, but I think it was mostly [name]Margaret[/name] he doesn’t like. He might go for the nn [name]Daisy[/name] if he gets his [name]Diana[/name]. [name]Porter[/name] (my son) and [name]Daisy[/name] are so cute together. I don’t know about needing the DC or DZ initials, I might just use [name]Daisy[/name] because I like it. Although I was thinking I wanted a Z mn anyways. She will be born in [name]May[/name], too bad, that would be a good excuse to use [name]Daisy[/name].

A few days ago I read someone’s post about using a nn and a formal name. She said she liked having a cute nn to use with family and close friends and a formal name that she used professionally. I thought that is something I want for my daughter too.

Hmmm… I will have to see what DH says.

I love [name]Diana[/name]
[name]Diana[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] is a great combo
also call her [name]Ana[/name]

[name]Diana[/name] is one of my favorite names as well! D (as in the letter) is a possibility. I also love it (this is from memory from a long time ago) because of [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables. [name]Anne[/name] desperately wants a fancy name like [name]Cordelia[/name], and when she meets [name]Diana[/name] she likes her name… I dunno, it made an impression on me when I was little.

[name]Dina[/name] is a good idea and seems like a real nn for [name]Diana[/name]. I am not really a fan of [name]Didi[/name], cute, but seems like a nn for someone my mom’s age.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the idea of [name]Daisy[/name]. [name]Daisy[/name] is so cute! I have been looking for a floral/nature name for this baby but nothing really seems to be working. I suggested [name]Daisy[/name] as a nn for [name]Margaret[/name] to DH a while back and he wasn’t thrilled, but I think it was mostly [name]Margaret[/name] he doesn’t like. He might go for the nn [name]Daisy[/name] if he gets his [name]Diana[/name]. [name]Porter[/name] (my son) and [name]Daisy[/name] are so cute together. I don’t know about needing the DC or DZ initials, I might just use [name]Daisy[/name] because I like it. Although I was thinking I wanted a Z mn anyways. She will be born in [name]May[/name], too bad, that would be a good excuse to use [name]Daisy[/name].

A few days ago I read someone’s post about using a nn and a formal name. She said she liked having a cute nn to use with family and close friends and a formal name that she used professionally. I thought that is something I want for my daughter too.

Hmmm… I will have to see what DH says.[/quote]

I’m glad you like it! [name]Daisy[/name] is very cute, especially with [name]Porter[/name]. Hopefully your husband will love it, too! Let us know…

With nicknames I find you should just pretend your child is in the other room or something and you’re calling to them. Whatever comes first into your head is the most natural nicknames. You can’t really force nicknames, they just happen.

With [name]Diana[/name] I’d probably end up using [name]Di[/name] or D/[name]Dee[/name]. that’s what would flow easiest for me

[name]Love[/name] the ideas of [name]Dinah[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name]. I would be willing to use either one.

[name]Diana[/name] is a gorgeous name!

i love the idea of giving the baby a name with special meaning and then calling her something completely different as a nickname. especially for cutsie names like [name]Daisy[/name] - it’s great for when she’s little and at home, but then [name]Diana[/name] goes on her resume when she’s older - i think it’s perfect! and if the hubby doesn’t like it, just wait until after you’ve given birth and he sees the amazingness you accomplished and then just tell him you’re calling her [name]Daisy[/name]. he won’t be able to say no!

Have you considered [name]Dianna[/name]?..it’s worked for me!!!

Last night I was thinking we could just name her [name]Diana[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] (I know, not perfect flow but that is ok with me). Then we could call her [name]Daisy[/name] when she is little and with family. Might as well use a middle name that we want as a nn instead of having a somewhat random nn and a mn with little meaning. Middle names get used so rarely that I think it would be ok to have a cute mn as long as she has nice strong [name]Diana[/name] for a first name. And [name]Diana[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] also makes [name]DeeDee[/name]/ [name]DiDi[/name] nn an option too.

DH is on a business trip this week so I didn’t get to ask him about [name]Daisy[/name] yet… I will email him my idea and see if he can come up with other nn/mn ideas on his long plane ride home.

I think [name]Diana[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] is precious!

[name]Hi[/name]!

I’m just thrilled that this [name]Daisy[/name] suggestion has gone over so well - I thought it was a bit of a stretch when I came up with it, but now I think it is ideal. Hopefully your husband will agree…

Anyway, the flow of [name]Diana[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] really isn’t terrible. In fact, the alliteration is quite sweet, and I am really loving it! I think you should go for it if you both love it!

Ditto! I love it! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I love [name]Diana[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] nn [name]Daisy[/name]! So cute!

[name]Didi[/name] is adorable as a baby or toddler, even child or youth. But then when she wants she can have [name]Diana[/name] as a formal name! Other nn’s for [name]Diana[/name]:

[name]Dina[/name] (dee-nuh)
[name]Dia[/name] (dee-uh)
[name]Nia[/name] (nee-uh)

In high school we had a foreign exchange student from either [name]Brazil[/name] or Chile (I can’t remember!) whose name was [name]Dayanna[/name] but it was pronounced [name]Diana[/name]. I think the spelling [name]Dayanna[/name], though not a common US spelling, completely modernizes the name and makes it more cutesy and versatile. You could call her [name]Daya[/name] for short! (Sounds like [name]Maya[/name]). Okay, maybe not [name]Daya[/name] because that kind of sounds like a bathroom problem. LOL. But I still like [name]Dayanna[/name]!

I like [name]Diana[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] too!

My sister’s name Is [name]Diana[/name] [name]Gabriela[/name] (we pronounce it [name]Dee[/name]-ana)
We used to call her [name]Diana[/name] all the time (that or [name]Nana[/name], I was little and couldn’t pronounce [name]Diana[/name]…), but now that she is older she has gotten us all to call her [name]Gaby[/name].