Help me love this name

Hi,

My husband and I are due with our third girl. I have decided the names of our eldest two daughters and so he would like to choose the name of this third girl. He has decided on storm. I am not a fan but trying to be supportive and learn to love it as it is really important to him. Struggling with middle names. Our last name is 3 syllables and starts with a mc sound.
Reasons I don’t like storm are it’s very short and sharp, aggressive meaning and has no nickname options so needing something to balence those aspects.
Ideas

Irie:soft sounding and we both love reggae music. Meaning is positivity and good vibes so it counters the storm feeling.

Something to honour my brother name which is jack or his middle name Francis.

Mary and rosie are also family name options

Other thought was using initials as a nickname so storm Jacqueline would be Sj or storm wren could be a little storm bird as a cute nick name.

Please help me love this name Haha

Congratulations!

I actually have a soft spot for [name_u]Storm[/name_u] I had a lovely manager named [name_u]Storm[/name_u] so I have positive associations with the name. I think [name_u]Storm[/name_u] is so cool and energetic. Also [name_f]Stormy[/name_f] makes a cute nickname! :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::dash:

Thoughts on the middle names

[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_u]Irie[/name_u] ~ personally not a massive fan of [name_u]Irie[/name_u] I think [name_u]Irie[/name_u] sounds a bit random with [name_u]Storm[/name_u]. Maybe use a name of a reggae singer? Rather stereotypical but maybe [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_u]Marley[/name_u]? To honour your love of reggae music!

To honour your brother [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] is a nice honour to him and I think [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] makes [name_u]Storm[/name_u] feel more classic. [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] has the same effect I also like the idea of [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] and [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Francine[/name_f]. I absolutely love [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]! :two_hearts:
SJ is a cool nickname of course we’ve discussed [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] which would be a nice honour choice some other ideas could be
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Jolie[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

I think [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] feels too descriptive I’m not sure why but to me [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] feels the name of a storm! Maybe [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Marianne[/name_f]? I think [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] just works better! [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] is a lovely family name and could work with [name_u]Storm[/name_u] but also offers up a range of fab ‘rose’ names some suggestions
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] ~ honouring both [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] & [name_f]Mary[/name_f] I think this could be a great option
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Rosella[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]

[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] to me feels a little stunted I don’t think the flow is that great. Also I don’t know [name_u]Storm[/name_u] bird seems to be a bit of unrealistic nickname. Sorry to rain on your parade though :woman_facepalming:t3:

Some other ideas that hopefully you may like…
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] ‘loosely translates happy storm’
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (same meaning as above)
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Calista[/name_f] ‘beautiful storm’
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Adelpha[/name_f]

[name_u]Storm[/name_u] Jacqueline/ [name_f]Jacklyn[/name_f] feels like the perfect option ! I love that it honours your brother

I love Storm!!
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

I think [name_u]Storm[/name_u] is a cool name and I don’t think you need to think of it as something aggressive. Sometimes storms are a necessary cleanse, and I picture a little girl named storm as someone who is fierce, strong, and independent.

1 Like

I would try to dissuade your husband from [name_u]Storm[/name_u]. I would want my child’s name to bring light, not darkness. Maybe you could convince him to use [name_u]Storm[/name_u] as a middle name. But there has to be some other first name he likes just as much.

I can see why you are hesitant about [name_u]Storm[/name_u] but I think it can totally be seen as a unique and cute choice. I can imagine a fierce, brave and smart little girl whose sweetness is adored by everyone around her. :relaxed:

Also, [name_f]Stormy[/name_f] can be an adorable nn.

I love @tori101’s suggestion about [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], I think it sounds perfect! :sparkles:

Some more ideas:

[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Annabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

I hope you’ll like them! Good luck! :sparkles:

2 Likes

First, I want to throw out [name_u]Rory[/name_u] or [name_f]Essie[/name_f] as potential nicknames! They’re not the most intuitive but I think [name_u]Rory[/name_u] works because of the -or- part of [name_u]Storm[/name_u] (just like how [name_u]Rory[/name_u] works for [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] in [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls) and [name_f]Essie[/name_f] can come from the S (my best friend [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] went by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] for many years because it’s L+ee).

As for middle names, I like the idea of [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], especially because it honors and it sounds like you’re happy about the nickname SJ. I wouldn’t describe [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] as a soft name though so I’m not sure it really softens [name_u]Storm[/name_u]. I’m seconding the recommendation of [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] though because it would be a double honor and has a soft, sweet, and feminine sound. It’s probably best to avoid one syllable names because they’re a bit abrupt with [name_u]Storm[/name_u] and automatically sound harsh to me because of that. I think [name_u]Storm[/name_u] [name_u]Bird[/name_u] could be a nickname regardless of the middle name.

1 Like