Help Me Love Westley

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all!!

I need some help. Essentially, one of my favorite boy names is [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] (pn WESS-lee) and I’ve devastated by his popularity.
I also asked my partner his opinions, and he says it WEZ-lee and stated he really did not like it.
However, he did say he likes [name_m]Westley[/name_m] (and say it with the -ESS sound rather than the -EZ sound, so that is better).
I don’t love [name_m]Westley[/name_m], he just feels much less soft and sweet than my beloved [name_u]Wesley[/name_u], but I want to try!

So I challenge you all: please help me love Westley!!

I also love the [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bride[/name_f], and that is one of my mom’s favorite movies so a good start, but still not quite loving him yet!!

Thanks all!! :green_heart:

1 Like

OK, Wesley does invite pronunciation confusion and I believe both well-established - with Wesslee sounding more poncy, preppy and Wezlee more arty / cool. So I think I’d join the jump to the more straightforward Westley - which shares the same meaning as Wesley and almost sounds the same when said fast/unthinkingly.

In addition to the Princess Bride nod (great pick, Mum!), it reminds me of other names like Westin/Weston, Easton, Harley, Ashby etc. I like it and I think it’ll force the softer S you like (and I also prefer).

1 Like

[name_m]Westley[/name_m] is cool and rugged - familiar but with a hint of distinctiveness, a little more surname-y, somewhere between regal and cowboy!

I feel like it gives you the gentler wess sound over the ez that I think a lot of people would use with [name_u]Wesley[/name_u], and [name_u]West[/name_u] is a cool nickname.

1 Like

I am a big [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] fan (said either way) but as well as the [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bride[/name_f] reference, the one thing I love about [name_m]Westley[/name_m] is that it contains [name_u]West[/name_u], which I think gives him a sort of venturesome, explorer sort of vibe. Like @Greyblue said he’s in a sweet spot between fairytale prince and cool cowboy!

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Weston[/name_m] over [name_u]Wesley[/name_u].