Help me name characters for a faerie story (part 2)?

A continuation from this. If you haven’t answered that question and are interested in the fae, I would dearly love you to!

Deceased Unseelie Queen:
The Unseelie King’s first wife, she was his sister and they were married as soon as they came of age (100) by order of their parents, as for millennia this family had wed brother to sister to keep the bloodline pure. She took no lovers and gave him many children but she was miserable and made no attempt to hide her misery. She resented the fact that he openly showed his bitterness about their marriage towards her and slowly began doing the same to him. Although she was originally a very kind woman, her heart blackened over the years and she became twisted with hate, taking her unhappiness out not only on the husband who openly showed his hatred towards her but also on their children. In the end, her husband poisoned her.

Lilium’s Deceased Father:
Lilium’s father was once the royal dungeon-master, responsible for the torture and maintenance of the prisoners and obtaining their confessions. He was very close to the Unseelie King. He was very possessive over his wife. He believed in loyalty, taking vows and promises very seriously. He was faithful to his wife, never taking any lovers, though many were interested in him. One such woman that he rejected sent her mortal slave (as the mortal could lie) to tell him that his wife had been unfaithful to him with the king. Believing the mortal, as he often forgot that people could lie and took them at their word (as despite being brutal and bloodthirsty, he was honest and never played any dirty tricks) he attacked the king and tried to eat him. As a result, he was exiled to the woods. His wife loyally chose to go into exile with him, but he still believed the lie, and such was his wrath that he tried to kill his wife and daughter, believing his daughter not to be his. He succeeded in killing his wife, but his seven year old daughter managed to kill him.
When he did believe that she was his, he was kind to Lili, though stern. He would tolerate no disobedience from her, but always praised her accomplishments. He was equally brutal towards every prisoner, paying no mind to their former status, though he knew how to behave as a gentlemen when not in the dungeons. That is, until he snapped.

Lilium’s Deceased Mother:
The innocent who was murdered by the husband she loved, she was as kind as the unseelie come. She did not particularly enjoy the bloodshed of the executions or have a taste for torture like her husband, but out of love for him she would let him talk for hours about his victims. Meanwhile, she contented herself with teaching her daughter the various languages of the folk, tending her garden and playing her instruments. She was secretly kind to the mortal slaves when nobody was around, though in public she was cold to them (though never did anything outwardly cruel to them). She had a fondness for flowers, her favourite being the lily, and she used to make her own perfumes.

Prince Astrophel’s (Deceased) Secret Fiancee:
Prince Astrophel once thought the war between the Seelie and Unseelie Courts was a needless waste of lives. However, he was in love with a girl whose father had been mistakenly killed while on Seelie territory. He was acting as messenger for his master, who had formed a romantic attachment to a seelie noblewoman. But her guards, upon spotting him, believed him to be an assassin and shot him down as he was climbing her balcony.
The girl, hungry for revenge, joined the unseelie army, despite Astrophel begging her not to. He told her that it wasn’t safe, that he could never stand to lose her, that he loved her. She told him that she loved him too, but she had to avenge her father by spilling as much seelie blood as possible. Her heart had once been filled with love, but her father’s murder changed her. Her heart grew darker and she became consumed with an obsession for revenge. Whereas once she had cared only to live a simple life with her father until the day when she and the Prince came of age and they could run away together, be married and live the way they wanted, now she was determined to stay behind and kill every last seelie fae. Their hundredth birthdays came and went and she told him that plans had changed and she could not run away with him until she had killed the man who had killed her father. Astrophel felt as though he was losing her. Still, she assured him of her undying love, and that she was making the kingdom safer for him and his family. But she became more reckless, and when she did encounter the man who killed her father, she made careless mistakes in her anger and was killed in battle. Astrophel has mourned her for five years, and this is why he does not want to marry Eilidh, as he feels it would be dishonouring her memory. She has a twin brother, Tamlin, who is still alive and also important to the story, so maybe something beginning with a T? Also, do you have any ideas for her father’s name?

Seelie Queen:
Everything a Queen should be, she is elegant and regal. The marriage between her and the Seelie King was arranged. She stands for duty and honour and is traditionally feminine, though she has no issues with women who can wield a sword and does not treat female knights any differently than male knights. She does believe, however, that it is a princess’s place to be guarded, and that she does not need to learn to protect herself with a weapon as she should never be alone. She has allowed Ellowyn to school the girls in magic, however. She imposes the importance of always looking your best and behaving in a pleasing fashion upon her daughters and being gallant gentlemen upon her sons. She is distant, but not cruel, with the mortal slaves, but not because they are mortal, because they are slaves. She is almost equally distant with the faerie servants. It was she who insisted upon the adoption of their mortal ward, Ninnia, rescuing her as a child from an abusive household. She herself taught her how to be a pleasing lady of the court, allowing Ninnia to trail her so that she could learn from experience. She is very kind to her loyal subjects, colder to those who cross her, but rarely ever cruel. She is almost eerily serene, always keeping her temper under control. If ever she were to explode, you would know that something was very, very wrong.

2 Likes

Deceased Unseelie [name_f]Queen[/name_f]: Dubheasa, Duvessa, Bacia, Morana, Ahlai, [name_f]Deirdre[/name_f], [name_f]Desdemona[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Dolores[/name_f], Tristesse, [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] (I chose these based on the meanings).

Lilum’s Deceased Father: [name_m]Ajax[/name_m], Ayson, [name_m]Aloysius[/name_m] (al-oh-ish-iss ; I always pronounce it al-uh-wish-iss though), [name_m]Vadim[/name_m], [name_m]Horatio[/name_m], [name_m]Horacio[/name_m] (I chose half of these based on their meanings and half of them just based on how they sound).

Lilum’s Deceased Mother: [name_f]Lidya[/name_f], [name_f]Lidiya[/name_f], [name_f]Agacia[/name_f], [name_f]Calandra[/name_f], [name_f]Beneste[/name_f], [name_f]Aanisah[/name_f], [name_f]Eudoxia[/name_f], [name_f]Halima[/name_f] (I chose all of these based on their meanings, because that’s exactly where my mind went when I was reading about her).

Prince [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m]’s (Deceased) [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Fiancee: [name_f]Tyra[/name_f], [name_f]Tetsu[/name_f], [name_f]Trudy[/name_f], [name_f]Trudi[/name_f], [name_u]Sascha[/name_u], [name_f]Marcheline[/name_f], [name_f]Evanna[/name_f], [name_u]Callan[/name_u] (I chose these based on the fact that they all mean warrior or some form of it).

Prince [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m]’s (Deceased) [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Fiancee’s Deceased Father: [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Antony[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Leopold[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] (I just chose these because they sound like the name of a king).

Seelie [name_f]Queen[/name_f]: Adola, [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f], Hasina, [name_f]Jovanna[/name_f], [name_f]Kenza[/name_f], Phailin, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], Tafariah, [name_f]Soraya[/name_f], [name_f]Vanna[/name_f], Ratana, [name_f]Zaira[/name_f] (I chose these mainly based on how they would sound on a [name_f]Queen[/name_f], and specifically a [name_f]Queen[/name_f] like her; there are a few that I chose for the meaning).

I hope something here helps!! Good luck with finding all of their names! :heart:

1 Like

I LOVE Morana for the deceased Unseelie [name_f]Queen[/name_f]! Definitely using that. Also loving [name_m]Aloysius[/name_m] for [name_f]Lilium[/name_f]’s father. It was on my list of faerie names but I hadn’t even considered it for him until you broght it up but now that you have I can absolutely see it on him.

Also, I should have specified about the fiancee and her father, I’m sorry! Her father wasn’t a king, which was why they kept their relationship a secret. Her father was the court healer. So he had an important position at court but does not come from noble birth and did not get to enjoy any priveliges of nobility, nor did his daughter. She had to work hard and was at first learning her father’s trade of healing before he was murdered, then she swore to avenge him on the battlefield.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Tanith[/name_f] and Tamlin work as twin names?

As for the Seelie [name_f]Queen[/name_f], I was thinking something with softer syllables might suit her better. Maybe something Celtic, since [name_m]Aodh[/name_m], her husband/uncle, has a Celtic name? What are your thoughts on that? I considered [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] but I don’t want to seem again like I’m borrowing too many names from other books even though [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] is an actual Welsh name. I considered [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] also. [name_f]Roslin[/name_f] came into my mind too but I see that as more of a ‘lady/noblewoman’ name than a [name_f]Queen[/name_f] name if that makes sense. I also considered [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any of these? Have any other suggestions?

1 Like

Okay. Yay!! I’m happy that you love Morana and [name_m]Aloysius[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry I misunderstood that! I could still see him as a [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]. Some other ideas for him: Lowen, [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m], Caspen, [name_m]Stellan[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m], [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] (I chose these based on their sound, but some of their meanings really fit, I think).

I LOVE [name_f]Tanith[/name_f] and Tamlin as twin names! I couldn’t find many T names when I was looking, but [name_f]Tanith[/name_f] is beautiful and I really like it!!

Okay, I totally see that! I like the idea of her name being Celtic since her husband’s is. I always like when significant others’ names go together. What book is [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] from? I’ve never heard of it being used before. I understand your concern about using too many names from popular/already existing books. :confused: I would still say if you feel strongly about it, use it, but if you have doubts, wait until you find the name. I like [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f] for her! I agree that [name_f]Roslin[/name_f] sounds more like a lady or noblewoman. Ooh, I really like [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]! More than [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] would fit her better. Some other ideas for her: [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f], [name_f]Branwen[/name_f], [name_f]Una[/name_f]. I’m not sure what else I could suggest. I think [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] is still on my mind and in the way; I really like that one.

1 Like

Yaaaay! You’re back!!! <3 <3 <3

Oooh! I LOVE [name_u]Lowen [/name_u]for [name_f]Tanith[/name_f] and Tamlin’s father!!! <3 <3 <3 Thank youuuu!

So we’re pretty much drooling over [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f], then? <3 I think that’s going to be the one.

1 Like

Yay!!! You’re so welcome!! I’m happy you found his name! And yes, I’m still drooling over [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: I love [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] for her; so happy that’s gonna be her name!

1 Like

Delora, [name_f]Dolores[/name_f], etc for the deceased unseelie queen?