Help me name characters for a faerie story?

So at the start of the series, the courts are split into the Seelie and Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m]. But a treaty between the Crown [name_f]Princess[/name_f] of the Seelie [name_m]Court[/name_m] ([name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]) and the Crown [name_m]Prince[/name_m] of the Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m] (as yet unnamed) will cause the courts to merge into the High [name_m]Court[/name_m].

King of the Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m]
Name(s) Considering (Opinions and Other Suggestions Needed) [name_m]Emyr[/name_m], [name_m]Emeric[/name_m]
The Unseelie [name_m]King[/name_m] was once in a miserable but dutiful political marriage with his sister. He took many consorts to soothe the ache in his heart, hoping to find love with one of them and he did with [name_f]Orlaith[/name_f]. He poisoned his current wife so he could marry her. He knows the importance of following your heart but knows that it cannot always be done openly and that sometimes stealth is the way to go, so when his first choice for the throne is cursed and cannot marry [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] despite their love and his second son does not wish to marry her, he plays the role of stern father and seems to order the marriage, but secretly helps them on their quest to break the curse without them knowing. He treats his second wife, [name_f]Orlaith[/name_f], like an equal, and is the one who assures [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] that she and his son will rule as equals and she will not be expected to bend to his will but be a ruler in her own right. Although he can be gentle, he can also be stern with his children when he needs to be, and brutal with his enemies. He will tear anyone who harms someone he loves apart with his bare hands and is not afraid of getting his hands dirty. Though good to his people, he demands their respect and will not tolerate insolence. He treats people according to their station in life and is not particularly kind to mortal slaves. He tolerates, but does not particularly like, Ninnia, though he slowly develops a grudging respect for her intelligence.

Seelie [name_m]Court[/name_m] Advisor
Names Considering (Opinions/New Suggestions welcome) Ellowyn (I hesitate to use this because thereā€™s an [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] in The Cruel [name_m]Prince[/name_m]), Aethewen (I donā€™t know what this name means, if it means anything at all), [name_f]Melisande[/name_f] (too close to [name_f]Melisandre[/name_f] from Game of Thrones, perhaps? Plus, I just donā€™t think it fits her appearanceā€¦), [name_u]Endellion[/name_u] (it fits her physical appearance, but I imagine her with a softer sounding nameā€¦)
[name_m]Long[/name_m], slightly wavy blonde hair, lapiz lazuli eyes, pale skin, pointed ears, small hands with long golden talons to match her golden dragonfly-like wings, she is one of the most powerful faeries in the realm and advisor to the Seelie [name_m]King[/name_m] and [name_f]Queen[/name_f], though she will become advisor to the High [name_m]King[/name_m] and [name_f]Queen[/name_f] when the courts merge. It is also her job to ensure no harm befalls the crown, so she acts as sort of a head of security/intelligence officer. Intelligent and resourceful. Although all fae have a way with words, she is particularly good with riddles and double meanings, though she does not use this gift around her close friends. If she has taken you into her confidence you are guaranteed the whole truth. Has little patience for fools and immaturity during serious times, but knows how to have fun when the time is right. [name_m]Can[/name_m] fight well with both magic and weaponry, though magic is her stronger point and what she is known for. Is rather formal and ceremonial unless in the presence of her very close friends, as she knows that she is constantly under observation due to her fame and she is expected to set a good example for the princesses to follow. Gets involved with a mortal slave, despite having turned down countless noble suitors before him. Romantic, slightly more idealistic than she knows, but definitely knows a lot about the dark realities of life.

Liliumā€™s Aunt/Alluraā€™s Mother (Unseelie)
Name Suggestions Needed
When [name_f]Lilium[/name_f] is brought out of exile, she is one of the first to welcome her into her husbandā€™s home. She is married to the redcap Velibor, the Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m]ā€™s [name_m]Lord[/name_m] High Executioner. She was best friends with [name_f]Lilium[/name_f]ā€™s mother, who was eaten by her ([name_f]Lilium[/name_f]ā€™s) father, and so she is kind to [name_f]Lili[/name_f] as [name_f]Lili[/name_f] reminds her of her former friend. Her own daughter, [name_f]Allura[/name_f], reminds her far too much of the man who tore apart her life for her own comfort, and so she is cold and distant to [name_f]Allura[/name_f], even though [name_f]Allura[/name_f] cannot help physically resembling her uncle. She has little taste for the bloodshed of the Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m], just like [name_f]Lili[/name_f]ā€™s mother (who it is hinted that she may have had feelings for) but she knew better than to refuse Veliborā€™s offer of marriage, as she had heard the legend of his first wife, [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], and did not want to meet the same end. Keeping [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]ā€™s fate always in her mind, she is docile, faithful and makes sure not only that she raises no objection to the bloodshed, but that she joins in when she must.

Unseelie [name_m]Prince[/name_m] 1
Names Considering: [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] (somehow I donā€™t think this quite fits), [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] (I really love this one, but I think [name_u]Olly[/name_u] is too cutesy a nickname. Thoughts? Other nickname suggestions?) Opinions and suggestions needed
This is the [name_m]Prince[/name_m] originally chosen to be the High [name_m]King[/name_m] beside [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]. He and [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] come to like each other. However, he is cursed by a goblin (who is merely a messenger) so that he cannot marry [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]/become king. He and a group of his friends must discover who sent the curse so that all can be righted and he can marry [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], but along the way he starts to fall in love with [name_f]Lilium[/name_f] and his brother starts to fall in love with [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]. He seems to be the kinder of the two brothers. He treats Ninnia (the Seelie kingā€™s mortal ward) with respect right from the start. He is kind to fae servants and mortal slaves alike. He does not dismiss [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]ā€™s seelie customs as soft, nor is he angry with her about the war. But he is unintentionally condescending, believing that women are fragile creatures that need to be protected. He wants to abolish female knighthoods, make it necessary that all women bear at least one child if they are able, and he is concerned that a woman may not be the best person to advise them. Over the duration of the quest, he learns not to underestimate women.

Unseelie [name_m]Prince[/name_m] 2:
Names Considering: [name_u]Aeron[/name_u] (I like it but I just donā€™t think it fits his developed personality), [name_m]Adeon[/name_m] (this one might fit a bit better but I keep picturing someone with blonde hair with this nameā€¦thoughts?), [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] (I kind of like the idea of this one because I like the idea of people making lots of [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] the @sshole jokes in the beginning, thoughts?)
The only other unmarried prince who is of age (over 100), he is chosen to be [name_m]King[/name_m] after his brother is cursed. But he doesnā€™t want to be king. He wonā€™t tell [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] why, and her questioning only makes him behave even more difficultly. The more difficult he is, the more she prods. The more she prods, the more hostile he becomes. He loathes the Seelie [name_m]Court[/name_m] with a burning passion, but there are those who say he has not always been this way. Once, he hated the war just as much as his brother, until something precious was taken from him from the Seelie [name_m]Court[/name_m], something he thought he could never replace ā€“ the love of his life. He believes (rather unconventionally in his land) that you can only fall in love once, so he is surprised when he starts to develop feelings for [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] while on the quest. But unsure if he can handle the responsibility of being king, and wanting to be faithful to his loveā€™s memory, he pushes the feelings aside for as long as he can. At the start, he is cold and indifferent towards [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], then outright cruel when they are betrothed. He is openly hostile towards Ninnia and all mortal slaves. When his brother is the betrothed one, he is cold towards the seelie court, his rage just simmering beneath the surface, but it comes out in explosive bursts when he learns he must marry [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] and he takes out his anger on mortal slaves as he believes them insignificant. He is somewhat calmer on the quest as he knows they are working towards the goal of restoring his brother to having to be the one to bear the burden of this alliance, and hints are dropped that he may be more than he appears. He is shown to love poetry, be able to play the harp and he helps another fae fight off a group of drink faeries who are trying to take Ninniaā€™s honour.

2 Likes

King of the Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m]: [name_m]Emeric[/name_m], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], [name_m]Ambrosius[/name_m], [name_u]Daru[/name_u], [name_m]Laurus[/name_m], [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] (Iā€™ve read a book where the - former - kingā€™s name was [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] and I really like it for a king).

Seelie [name_m]Court[/name_m] Adviser: I always hesitate to use names already being used in popular books, too, but sometimes thatā€™s just their name. Iā€™ve decided to use both [name_f]Peony[/name_f] and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] in the last week for my current WIP. [name_f]Peony[/name_f] is from [name_f]Cinder[/name_f] (by [name_f]Marissa[/name_f] [name_m]Meyer[/name_m]; the first book in The Lunar Chronicles) and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is obviously from The Hunger Games, and Iā€™m falling her Prim. But, it just is her name, so Iā€™m going to use it, even though the connection still remains. I think as long as you create this character as your own, it wonā€™t matter. Everyone will have just read two characters named [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]/Ellowyn. Instead of [name_u]Endellion[/name_u], you could do Endelli or Endella or even Endellia, so it doesnā€™t have that hard N sound at the end. I like Aethewen, but if it does bother you that you canā€™t know what it means, I wouldnā€™t use it.

Other suggestions: [name_f]Elysande[/name_f], [name_f]Casandria[/name_f], [name_f]Sylviana[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f], [name_f]Elys[/name_f], [name_f]Florette[/name_f], [name_f]Dayaa[/name_f], [name_f]Delysia[/name_f], [name_u]Enfys[/name_u], [name_f]Valeraine[/name_f] (I really just chose these based on their meanings, or what type of girl they make me picture, inspired by the character you described for her).

Liliumā€™s Aunt / [name_f]Allura[/name_f]ā€™s Mother (Unseelie): [name_f]Ubelia[/name_f], [name_f]Gaenna[/name_f], [name_f]Catalene[/name_f], Cata, [name_f]Elisveta[/name_f], [name_f]Viridis[/name_f], [name_f]Viridiana[/name_f] (I just chose these based on the meanings or what I assume the meaning would be based on other names with similar syllables).

Unseelie [name_m]Prince[/name_m] 1: I agree that [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] doesnā€™t seem to fit, based on what youā€™ve told me about him. I like [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] for him. Some nicknames for that: [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_m]Lean[/name_m], Leean, [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_u]Andy[/name_u], [name_m]Ander[/name_m], [name_m]Anders[/name_m], Dern. Other ideas for him: [name_u]Cypress[/name_u], [name_u]Arden[/name_u], [name_m]Acacius[/name_m], [name_u]Adair[/name_u], [name_m]Anders[/name_m], [name_u]Keegan[/name_u], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] (I just chose these based off of the sound and the vibe - I hate that word - they give me).

Unseelie [name_m]Prince[/name_m] 2: I agree that [name_u]Aeron[/name_u] feels wrong, maybe almost incomplete. You could [name_f]Aeronwen[/name_f], if you like that. I also picture a blond with [name_m]Adeon[/name_m], even though Iā€™m not sure why. I love [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] for this character, and I love the idea of there being ā€œ[name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] the assholeā€ jokes, that works really well. I would absolutely use that, if it were me. But, in case you still want some other options: [name_u]Astraeus[/name_u], [name_m]Altair[/name_m], [name_u]Izar[/name_u], [name_m]Janus[/name_m], [name_u]Auberon[/name_u], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], [name_u]Zaire[/name_u] (these are just some names that sound like they would fit, not considering the meanings at all).

Hopefully something here is helpful!! Good luck on finding their names!

I LOVE YOU.

Definitely going with [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m], [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] (nickname [name_m]Ander[/name_m]) and Ellowyn. All the names you gave me for them will be considered as middle names, since in this world, a faerieā€™s full name is never known, only their first and surname (because of the whole ā€˜true nameā€™ rule with the fae).

Love [name_f]Gaenna[/name_f]! Definitely getting that in somewhere even if itā€™s not used for [name_f]Lili[/name_f]ā€™s aunt but I think it will be, even if itā€™s just a middle name for her. But I seriously love it.

Also love [name_u]Izar[/name_u]! And I love the sound of [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m] [name_u]Izar[/name_u] so that may just become his middle name (since all fae have a middle name in this). Thank you!

1 Like

OH MY GOSH, YAY!

Iā€™m so happy I could help that much!! :blush::blush: You sound like youā€™re extremely happy with these names, and Iā€™m so excited that I helped get you there!

THereā€™s a part 2 if youā€™re interested in helping even more! I would love your continued opinions! :smiley: Youā€™re amazing!!!

1 Like

Yes, I found it last night right before I was gonna log off. I decided not to do it until this morning, but Iā€™m gonna go right now! :hugs:

Just suggesting some names which I think have a fairie feel.

Fabian - love this for a fairy king. Itā€™s so handsome.

Leander
Evander
Cyrus
Silas
Icarus
Leith
Olivander
Finnian
Cassian
Cassius
Ivan
Gregorian
Seamus
Azreil

Seren
Serena
Meredith
Miriam
Maeven
Mavis
Noelle
Freydis
Shiloh
Effie
Eliana
Melinoe
Priyah
Prue

1 Like

I love the name [name_m]Leander[/name_m]! Iā€™m actually using a similar name, [name_u]Oleander[/name_u], for one of the two Princes. :slight_smile: [name_m]Evander[/name_m] is already the name of one of the Seelie [name_f]Princess[/name_f]ā€™s brothers! Youā€™re right, it does have a beautiful faerie ring to it. [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] is on my list of possibilities for minor characters, but [name_m]Silas[/name_m] has too much of a ā€˜modernā€™ ring for this story, it wouldnā€™t vibe well with the rest of the names, though I do like it. [name_m]Icarus[/name_m] might work for a very foolish nobleman so I thank you for that one! I absolutely LOVE [name_u]Leith[/name_u]! [name_f]May[/name_f] work it in as the middle name of one of [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]ā€™s brothers, or the love interest of one of her sisters. Olivander I hesitate to use because of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and because itā€™s too close to [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] but itā€™s one heck of a cool name. I love [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] and will probably make use of the name as some sort of minor faerie courtier. I canā€™t use [name_m]Cassian[/name_m], though I love it, because [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] has a brother named [name_m]Cassander[/name_m], so [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] is out too. I also canā€™t use [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] or Gregorian because of minor characters named [name_m]Ivar[/name_m] and [name_m]Gregor[/name_m]. [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], again, I hesitate to use because of the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection, and I worry that it is too popular a name. Azreil is very beautiful. I donā€™t want people getting it mized up with [name_m]Azrael[/name_m] though, since Iā€™m trying to avoid all [name_u]Christian[/name_u] connotations in this novel. Christianity doesnā€™t exist in this book at all.

Love [name_u]Seren[/name_u]! [name_f]May[/name_f] try and work it in as a handmaidenā€™s name if [name_f]Serena[/name_f] doesnā€™t end up being a minor noblewoman. I canā€™t use [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] as itā€™s too much a name rooted in our world now, if that makes sense. [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] is also out as I have a minor noblewoman named [name_f]Mirian[/name_f]. LOVE Maeven and will definitely try to get that in there somewhere. [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] is cute too but I think Maeven has mire of the ā€˜faerieā€™ atmosphere Iā€™m searching for. I canā€™t use [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] as it refers to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], which isnā€™t celebrated in Elfame, though it is a lovely name. I am LOVINGGGGG [name_f]Freydis[/name_f]. Iā€™m going to put that in there somewhere, probably as one of the Unseelie Princesses. [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], again, has the religious connection and so is unusable for me. [name_f]Effie[/name_f] would be a nickname for someone and not a name, people tend to stand on formalities here unless they are with friends and their names arenā€™t nick-namey, especially among the gentry. Okay, Iā€™m OBSESSEEEEEEEED with [name_f]Melinoe[/name_f]. Thatā€™s going to be something important to do with the Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m]. The Unseelie Advisor, perhaps. I canā€™t use [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] because of the religious meaning in the name, though I do love the vibe it has. Priyah will probably end up being a minor Seelie noble of some sort. I canā€™t use [name_f]Prue[/name_f] because itā€™s too nicknamey, and Iā€™m trying to avoid virtue names that wouldnā€™t make sense in their world like [name_f]Prudence[/name_f].

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions! <3

Iā€™m glad you can make use of some of them. Great :slight_smile: good luck with the rest of your writing

Euphemia, [name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Melantha[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Nephele[/name_f].

1 Like