deleted

Thank you so much for your help!

3 Likes

[name_f]Ayla[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_f]Athene[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_u]Jeanne[/name_u]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]

I’m seconding the suggestion of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - it’s a name with two feminist associations: in literature, [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is the protagonist of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]’s As You Like It; in real life it’s the name of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], the scientist who discovered DNA. It’s also got plenty of nicknaming potential: [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Roz[/name_f], [name_f]Lindie[/name_f], and [name_f]Ro[/name_f] all come to mind.

Names with “lo”/“la”:

• [name_f]Loretta[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Louise[/name_u]/[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Melody[/name_f]
  • [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]

[name_u]Antonia[/name_u] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] is beautiful! [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Evangelyn[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], and although [name_f]Evangelyn[/name_f] doesn’t have any historical namesakes, I find is whimsical sounding. Also, [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Evangelina[/name_f] are options, and in the epic poem [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], she searches tirelessly for her lover and never sways in loyalty, and she also dedicates the end of her life to helping the sick and dying. Some other ideas are:
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], who took on many different roles throughout Arthurian legends, and is portrayed mainly with courage and leadership.
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], who in Greek mythology had the gift of prophecy, and did her best to warn others of the fate of [name_m]Troy[/name_m].
[name_f]Andromeda[/name_f],the wife of [name_m]Perseus[/name_m] in Greek mythology, is unfortunately not given a very detailed personality, however it is known that she is the name of a constellation.
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f], who in [name_m]Virgil[/name_m]’s Aeneid was the powerful queen of the Amazons and was known for her integrity.
[name_f]Caterina[/name_f] was a real Italian woman who led her town in an uprising during The Siege of Nice.
[name_f]Cordella[/name_f] fought for her kingdom in [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]’s [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Lear[/name_m].
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f], who was a sorceress in Arthurian legend.
[name_f]Circe[/name_f], an enchantress who helped [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m] in [name_m]Homer[/name_m]’s Odyssey, and turns bad men into pigs.
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f], the loyal wife of [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m] who remained faithful in the return of her husband.
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] or [name_f]Helena[/name_f] of [name_m]Troy[/name_m].
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps, good luck!

1 Like

So many lovely names!
I have throughly enjoyed thefaireophelia’s posts and discussing names with her in general so this is really bringing me back. :sparkling_heart:

[name_f]Ántonia[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] is still my favorite combo for you but you have a lot of great stuff going on here.

I really adore [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] and I definitely don’t think of anything covid related when I hear it, I think of the Baroque painter [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] Gentileschi first and foremost. Her depictions of [name_f]Judith[/name_f] Beheading Holofernes radiate serious feminist energy. (Really all of her paintings that feature women do.)
And while that’s where my head goes, I don’t think there’s any particularly strong association to the name for most people, so it fits your criteria nicely.

I will return after I get my son to bed to conjure up some combos!

[name_f]Desdemona[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] ([name_f]Mona[/name_f])
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] [name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonella[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_f]Valkyrie[/name_f]
[name_u]Halle[/name_u] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Novalie[/name_f] [name_f]Esmae[/name_f]
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] [name_f]Melody[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ambrosia[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Fenella[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Winola[/name_f] [name_m]Frey[/name_m]

Hmmm

To honor [name_f]Lola[/name_f]:
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivalo[/name_f]

Hebrew:
[name_f]Ophira[/name_f] (gold)
[name_f]Adina[/name_f] (gentle, delicate)
[name_f]Leora[/name_f] (my light)
[name_f]Noemi[/name_f] (from [name_f]Naomi[/name_f])
[name_f]Ilana[/name_f] (means tree)
[name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] (God is my oath)
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f] ([name_m]Moses[/name_m]’s sister)
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] (means star, [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f] saved the Jewish People)
Emuna (faith)
[name_f]Penina[/name_f] (pearl)
[name_f]Raziela[/name_f] (God’s secret)
[name_f]Rimona[/name_f] (pomegrante)
[name_f]Nechama[/name_f] (comfort)
[name_f]Tzipporah[/name_f] (bird, [name_m]Moses[/name_m]’s wife)
[name_f]Tikvah[/name_f] (hope)
[name_u]Simcha[/name_u] (joy)
[name_f]Ahava[/name_f] (love)
Atira (prayer)
[name_f]Ayelet[/name_f] (gazelle)

Women in history:

[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] ([name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] Lacks)
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] ([name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u])
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] ([name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_m]Duncan[/name_m])
[name_f]Frida[/name_f] ([name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_f]Kahlo[/name_f])
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] ([name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath)
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] ([name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m])
[name_f]Adela[/name_f] (She was painted by Klimt, inspired movie “Woman in [name_m]Gold[/name_m]” )
[name_f]Golda[/name_f] ([name_f]Golda[/name_f] [name_m]Meir[/name_m])
[name_f]Millay[/name_f] ([name_f]Edna[/name_f] St. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_f]Millay[/name_f], poet)

Others you might like-

[name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Calanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Philou[/name_f]
[name_f]Odele[/name_f]

1 Like

I didn’t think of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]! I’ve had [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] on my list since I was ten and dabbled in Shakespearian theater. I haven’t considered it with this baby, but it’s definitely back on the list now!! Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Oh, I love that! I was so happy to find her threads, they were just what I was searching for on here!

[name_f]Ántonia[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] is definitely the name to beat for me, sadly it doesn’t seem to have the same appeal for DH (he’s said any name will do, but I’m sure there’s a name out there that’d grab his attention).

I get the same idea about [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f], as well. The name could refer to quite a few women, and I especially love how it covers all bases: a queen, a goddess, an artist. Three different connections strung together by being well before their time, in terms of gender roles. I do love the flexibility, and I’ve been imagining shouting “[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]!” from the kitchen to call her in for dinner lately. It makes my heart sing!

I’m eager to hear the rest of your thoughts! Thank you so much for your input!

1 Like

I’m gonna come back to this thread to try to think of some combos when it’s not nearly 2 am and I’m falling asleep scrolling lol, but I wanted to real quickly bring the name [name_f]Makeda[/name_f] to your attention. This is the name of the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of [name_f]Sheba[/name_f] in the Hebrew bible and I believe this name may be up your alley! It’s pronounced sorta like Muh-[name_u]Kay[/name_u]-Da and is said to mean “greatness” in the Ethiopic language. I love that it’s got a regal flair to it whilst sounding grounded and modern next to names like [name_u]Makenzie[/name_u] and [name_f]Makayla[/name_f].

I’ve fallen for it myself and I love the many different nicknames I’ve been able to spin out it; Mak or [name_u]Kody[/name_u] for something spunky and tomboyish, and [name_f]Kady[/name_f] or Keda for something sweeter and girlier but still playful and rough and tumble-ish.

I love the middle name combos of [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f]. If it were me, I’d be going for one of the following:

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] / [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] ([name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl’s [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], plus the meaning of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is ‘mighty in battle’, which gives me [name_u]Joan[/name_u] of [name_m]Arc[/name_m] vibes)
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] ([name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]’s [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] from [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m])
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] / [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Alice[/name_f] B Toklas)
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] / [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] Pankhurst)
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] (child witch from Bewitched; also a cat from the [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books)
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] / [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Astrid[/name_f] means ‘divine strength’, ‘divine beauty’)
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] (Brontë sisters)
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] (daughter of [name_f]Helen[/name_f] of [name_m]Troy[/name_m]; the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character)
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] / [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Iris[/name_f] was the rainbow goddess, a messenger for [name_m]Zeus[/name_m] and [name_f]Hera[/name_f]; also, writer [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_m]Murdoch[/name_m])
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] / [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] ([name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lovelace[/name_u])
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] / [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] ([name_f]Juno[/name_f] was goddess of love and marriage, protector of women)
[name_f]Eveline[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] (from [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Joyce[/name_u]’s short story, [name_f]Eveline[/name_f])
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] (for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath)
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] / [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]; [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility; [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] of [name_f]Aquitaine[/name_f])
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] / [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] ([name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Cather[/name_f])
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] / [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m])
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] / [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] ([name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m])
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] ([name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_m]Parks[/name_m])

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps.

1 Like

These are fantastic, thank you! I totally forgot [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] was a [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character, that does sweeten the name for me. I just adore the nickname [name_f]Tibby[/name_f], too.

Seeing [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] isolated also made my heart jump; I really love them together. Your input has definitely given me something to think about.

I’ve never heard this name before! Thank you! I’ll see how DH feels about it. I can’t wait to hear your other thoughts, as well.

Thank you for such a comprehensive list! I completely overlooked [name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f], in particular due to the mispronunciation listed here on Nameberry. I hunted down the proper pronunciation, though, and I’m beginning to think it may be the perfect “la” name.

Your list of Hebrew names were great, as well! I appreciate you adding the meanings for each one.

[name_f]Ántonia[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] is gorgeous!

[name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Morgana[/name_f] [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]?
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Alouette[/name_f] [name_f]Kahlo[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

Alright, please bear with me, as I have a LOT to say.

First of all, the names you’ve already selected:

[name_u]Antonia[/name_u] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] is absolutely, positively stunning. I adore [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] and [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], so of course that’s pure magic in my eyes. And I love how [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] brings something different (and dare I say gothic?) to the table.

[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]Lowenna[/name_f] [name_f]Circe[/name_f] made my heart flutter. It’s just so amazing. I think I might like it a bit more than [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f], which is a huge surprise!

[name_f]Theodosia[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Antigone[/name_f]: This is possibly the most beautiful name EVER. So cool. But I think it might be out of the running if your DH isn’t fully on board?

I’m first going to focus on some suggestions that are the first that come to mind, and then I’ll see about some “[name_f]Lo[/name_f]” and “La” names. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
Caspienne
[name_f]Iridessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Zephyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Zenobia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsinore[/name_f]
[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Columbia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
Lenontine
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]
[name_f]Sybella[/name_f]
[name_u]Constantine[/name_u]
[name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Nerissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Galilea[/name_f]
[name_f]Zemfira[/name_f]
Helizabel
[name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] (I LOVE this name)
[name_f]Euphemia[/name_f]
Queniva
[name_f]Agrippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympe[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]

Loelia
[name_f]Locklyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Loire[/name_f]
[name_f]Loucinda[/name_f]
Loumina
[name_f]Abella[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Stellaluna[/name_f]

Some outside suggestions:

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Columbia[/name_f]
[name_f]Columbine[/name_f]
[name_f]Floriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Oriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralina[/name_f]

Also, I would humbly like to suggest Faerydae for a middle. I have [name_u]Willow[/name_u] Faerydae on my list, and I think it’s just the most amazing name. It means “gift of the fairies.”

1 Like

[name_f]Eilonwy[/name_f] [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lieselotte[/name_f] [name_f]Morgana[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_u]Lovelace[/name_u] Faerydae

I would choose…

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f] [name_f]Hypatia[/name_f]

I also quite like [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] from your list!

What about [name_u]Marian[/name_u]? I covers all of the criteria except #2. As for #6, it is from the name [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] (another option to consider!). For the namesake, Maid [name_u]Marian[/name_u] of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood is a strong female character from [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood, which may appeal if you like the Arthurian Legends.

I like the name [name_f]Morgana[/name_f] from your list, [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] also work. Also, you husband’s [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] has the strong (and Jewish) namesake [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_m]Bader[/name_m]-Ginsburg

Are you sure you aren’t ottilie and thefairophelia? These accounts feel like the same person coming back over and over again. It’s the same list of names every time with few variations, similar fantastical and romantic storylines, absurdly long posts, etc.

1 Like