Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list of names! (Part 3: O-Z)

UPDATE: Round 2 of the process of editing the Monster List has begun over on this thread, if you are interested: Round Two of the Monster List: The Questioning

We are due in less than two months, and I am starting to feel the pressure! I’ve finally assembled all my favorite magical, witchy, nature-drenched names into one long list of femme and unisex names, and it totals to a whopping 140 plus. This is entirely too many names to take with us to the hospital, so I’m hoping that with your help I can narrow it down to the gulp thirty-ish range.

For a little context, I am in a long-term polyamorous relationship with two live-in partners, and we will all be co-parenting together. I’ve called them T and S to avoid confusion. We’re also super pagan, hence all the witchy names! We’re planning to use two middle names, which is part of how the list got so long in the first place. Our last name spelled phonetically is KAY-lahr.

Because this list is so long, I’m breaking it down into multiple threads so I hopefully don’t overwhelm everyone. When I get all the posts up, I’ll come back and include links to each one at the end of the others for convenience. Once we get the list narrowed down somewhat, I’ll probably make a combo brainstorming thread as well.

Okay, on to the monster list: Part 3!

• [name_f]Oceane[/name_f] - F - “ocean,” [name_u]French[/name_u] name that was often used for girls born at sea. You may have noticed that I’m obsessed with any name that has to do with the ocean, and I particularly like the pronunciation of this variant. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - F - “eighth,” not the most inspiring meaning, but she makes up for it with lots of great references: [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s [name_m]Antony[/name_m] and [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f], amazing sci-fi author of color [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_m]Butler[/name_m], [name_u]Tavi[/name_u] from the Codex Alera series, and best-for-last, the incredible illegal second child turned warrior turned gladiator queen turned badass co-parent, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] from The 100. T just saw the page I’d pulled up on this name and said, “That one might need to go near the top of the list,” so that’s a good sign!
  • [name_f]Oleanna[/name_f] - F - “oleander,” Polynesian flower and title of a play by the same name. When I first saw this name, I thought it was related to olive trees, because their Latin name is [name_f]Olea[/name_f] europaea.
  • [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] - F - “circle; white footprint,” an enchanting Welsh fairy tale name from Arthurian romance in which [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] was the daughter of a giant chieftain who assigned a series of increasingly difficult tasks to her suitor because of a prophecy that if she married, he would die. Her name comes from the fact that she was such a pure, gentle soul, white clovers sprung up wherever she walked. I’m a sucker for O names, Welsh names, and fairy tale names, so this one hits a sweet spot for me.
  • [name_f]Oona[/name_f] - F - “lamb,” Irish version of the Finnish name [name_f]Una[/name_f]. She was an Irish fairy queen and wife of [name_m]Finbar[/name_m]. Variant [name_f]Oonagh[/name_f] is a sorceress from one of my favorite series, Sevenwaters by [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] Marillier. Very obliquely honors S, who is of Finnish heritage.
  • [name_f]Opal[/name_f] - F - “gem,” actually the Sanskrit word for gemstone, believed in Greek mythology to bestow prophetic powers. References to one of my all-time favorite television shows, [name_m]Steven[/name_m] Universe, and one of my all-time favorite book series, The [name_u]Raven[/name_u] Cycle by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] Stiefvater. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] - F - “help, succor,” as an herbalist and [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] enthusiast, I geek out HARD over this name. The most famous [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is of course from the play [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m], and a conventional surface interpretation indicates that she goes mad and drowns herself. However, the scene where she hands out flowers to the king’s court takes on a whole new meaning once you’re familiar with Victorian flower language. Each plant she references is a clear condemnation: handing [name_m]Claudius[/name_m] columbine and fennel accuses him of flattery, deceit, and adultery; rosemary demands they remember the dead and foreshadows her own demise; setting down the daisy says there is no innocence left in the court; and so on. To me, this knowledge reframes [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] as wickedly clever and incredibly brave, to accuse these powerful people to their faces under the guise of seeming madness. It also makes her death seem far less likely to be an accident or a suicide. [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is by far my favorite character in all of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]. The name also shows up in Uncle [name_m]Tom[/name_m]'s Cabin and The Addams Family, while variant [name_f]Ofelia[/name_f] is the main character of the lush dark fairy tale film [name_m]Pan[/name_m]'s Labyrinth. Also one of the moons of Uranus.
  • Oriande - F - “to rise,” a fairy who bestowed a legendary sword on the hero Maugris in the [name_u]French[/name_u] parallel to the legend of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m].
  • [name_f]Orinthia[/name_f] - F - “to rise,” variant of Oriande with literary and ballet references.
  • [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - F - “gift of all the gods,” in Greek mythology, she is the first woman, who is gifted a mysterious box. When she opens the box in curiosity, it unleashes all the evils of the world, though in the bottom of the box, hope remains. I go back and forth on this name. The myth is not the problem, but rather the associations with the music streaming service and the jewelry brand.
  • [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] - F - “pearl,” the beautiful oceanic birth “stone.” To me, the way pearls are formed from a grain of sand in an oyster’s shell symbolizes turning adversity into advantage. I also love the [name_m]Steven[/name_m] Universe reference and the literary cred. Big downside: There is a very difficult individual in our lives who uses this name as her online handle. I loved this name for years before I met her, and don’t want to give it up, but the association is pretty inescapable.
  • [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] - F - “bright,” Greek mythology name with a veritable wealth of references in literature, theatre, opera, ballet, art, etc. I am utterly captivated by the name itself, its look, sound, and meaning. It activates my synesthesia to see a cloud of floral pastels, like [name_f]Monet[/name_f]'s Water [name_f]Lilies[/name_f]. I also adore the character Phedre from [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] [name_u]Carey[/name_u]'s trilogy Kushiel’s [name_u]Legacy[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] concern with this name is the myth itself, a torrid, passionate, and tragic tale of a woman in love with her stepson. When he rejects her, she accuses him of attempted sexual assault, which results in his death and her own suicide. There are many different variations of the tale, each with their own explanations of how and why these events happened as they did. In some, she is an irredeemable predator, while in others she is an unwitting victim of a goddess’s curse. Regardless, the content of the myth makes me worry that this name would be problematic.
  • [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] - U - “daydream,” a captivating word name for an ethereal dreamlike state, which can also reference being lost in memories. This is the name of one of my favorite pieces of music by impressionist composer [name_u]Claude[/name_u] Debussy. I love the idea of [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] as an unexpected path to the nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f].
  • [name_u]River[/name_u] - U - “stream of water that flows toward the sea,” a watery nature name usually given to boys. We like it for the references to a pair of badass sci-fi ladies: [name_u]River[/name_u] Song from [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] Who and [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_m]Tam[/name_m] from [name_u]Firefly[/name_u]. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - F - “soft, gentle horse; beautiful rose,” A gorgeous botanical name that I love for the reference to [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s As You Like It. First featured in pastoral poetry by [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_u]Spenser[/name_u]. I was surprised by the connection to horses.
  • [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] - F - “white spear; famous joy,” an incredibly witchy [name_u]Saxon[/name_u] name for a mytho-historical femme fatale who saves her people by seducing the [name_m]King[/name_m] of the Britons. Chock full of references such as [name_m]Ivanhoe[/name_m], [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], and even my favorite TV show, Supernatural. I cannot figure out my feelings about this name. It has every single element of a name that I should love, but for some reason I just…don’t.
  • [name_u]Rune[/name_u] - U - “secret,” the Germanic/Nordic magical alphabet. The runes are symbols of power and wisdom used in spell craft and divination, sacred to our gods and an important aspect of our various magical practices. In addition to referencing our spirituality, this name would specifically honor S, who is a runecaster. Middle only.
  • Sabriel - U - “stop, rest; prickly pear,” an obscure angel of the seventh heaven. This name is entirely in reference to one of my favorite fictional characters, a powerful necromancer from [name_m]Garth[/name_m] [name_f]Nix[/name_f]'s Abhorsen series.
  • [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] - U - “saffron crocus,” a rare spice made from the the stigma and styles of this particular flower. Also a color name based on the vivid orange-yellow threads of the spice. I have always loved the look and sound of this name, and as a bonus, it references a minor character from one of our favorite shows, [name_u]Firefly[/name_u]. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Samara[/name_f] - F - “seed of the elm,” also used to refer to seeds of ashes and sycamores. Possible downside: the name is often associated with the antagonist from the horror movie series The [name_m]Ring[/name_m].
  • Satia - F - “sufficiency, abundance,” a goddess of witches in medieval [name_u]French[/name_u] literature, also associated with the festival of [name_f]Samhain[/name_f]. Modern [name_f]Samhain[/name_f] is considered the witches’ [name_u]New[/name_u] Year, one of the most important pagan holidays. It takes place on Halloween night and is the time when the veil between the living and the dead is thinnest, allowing us to communicate with the spirits of the departed.
  • [name_f]Senara[/name_f] - F - “light,” associated with a Cornish folk tale of the Mermaid of [name_u]Zennor[/name_u], in which a mysterious woman who didn’t age would periodically appear at a church and captivate everyone with her singing. When sailors encountered a mermaid, the parishioners recognized her song. The name also connects to a [name_m]Breton[/name_m] legend of a pregnant princess cast into the sea by her wicked stepmother. She gave birth to her son in a trunk and the two of them floated to safety. I love the look and sound of this name and all the oceanic connections.
  • [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] - F - “ardent, fiery,” derived from the seraphim, a particular class of angels. I love this name for a specific character reference, the fierce and powerful witch [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] Pekkala from [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. Obliquely honors S.
  • [name_f]Sereia[/name_f] - F - “mermaid,” I can find very little about this name beyond the fact that it’s the Portuguese word for mermaid. I like the look, sound, and meaning.
  • Sinfai - F - “woman from the place of the moon,” obscure Romani variant of [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f]. I love the spelling and the nickname Sin.
  • [name_f]Sireli[/name_f] - F - “lilac flower,” I can find very little about this name beyond the fact that it is Estonian for lilac. I like the look and sound.
  • [name_u]Snow[/name_u] - U - “frozen precipitation,” a fantastically wintry word name littered with meaningful references. There is the obvious link to [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White, and my favored incarnation of her, [name_u]Snow[/name_u] from Once Upon A Time (as opposed to her [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] persona, who tends to irritate me, [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is brilliant, fierce, passionate, and rebellious, all things I love in a heroine.) [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is also one of my favorite characters in a very strange book called Solitaire by [name_u]Kelley[/name_u] Eskridge, a haunting story that I’ve read over and over again. This name also obliquely honors our gods, partly through the connection with their wintry homeland, but also because every time one of them has moved significantly in our lives, their arrival is heralded by an intense winter storm, unusual for the part of the country where we live. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] - F - “jewel, princess; star cluster,” this is the Arabic name for The Pleiades. I love the look and sound, as well as the celestial connection. Obliquely honors S.
  • [name_u]Starling[/name_u] - U - “songbird,” a tough, adaptable, intelligent species of bird with a very celestial sounding name. They were brought from Europe to the US by a [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] enthusiast, because they are briefly mentioned in one of his plays. They flourished here to the point that they are frequently considered pests, but I admire the juxtaposition of their tenacious presence and delicate, ethereal name. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f] - F - “woodland,” female form of [name_m]Silvanus[/name_m], the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] god of woods and wild places, a domain that resonates strongly with us. Nickname [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] also has special meaning to us due to the way it sounds like “silver;” a long story, but anything silvery is getting strong consideration for this baby. Variants we are considering include [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvaine[/name_f], Silvi, [name_f]Sylvianne[/name_f], [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], and even traditionally masculine variant [name_m]Sylvan[/name_m].
  • [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] - F - “from the forest,” feminine variant of [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]. I’m listing this separately from [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f] because not only is it chock full of wild and woodsy vibes and not only is it my favorite way to get to [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] for that special silver reference, but it also has another layer of significance to me. I have been a tarot reader for over a decade, and it is one of my life’s great passions. The first deck I ever worked with is called Fenestra, and the similarity in sound makes me think of this deck every time I hear the name [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]. This one is very near the top of my list.
  • [name_f]Taika[/name_f] - F - “magic, spell, rune,” obliquely honors S by virtue of being a Finnish name. I love the meaning of this one, but am not sold on the look and sound.
  • [name_f]Tanith[/name_f] - F - “serpent lady,” a Phoenician moon goddess associated with Tiamat, one of my favorite ancient primordial deities (whose name I cannot use directly.) Potential downside: There is an absolutely horrible NPC in the Borderlands game series with this name.
  • [name_f]Thalassa[/name_f] - F - “of the sea,” a goddess of the sea and name of one of [name_u]Neptune[/name_u]'s moons.
  • [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] - F - “abundant, plentiful, rich,” the muse of comedy and laughter.
  • Thelema - F - “will, to wish, to want,” a magical, mystical, and religious philosophy developed by Aleister Crowley, one of the most influential figures in modern witchcraft. The central tenet of Thelema is, “do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the [name_m]Law[/name_m].” Rather than a license to do what you please, this is a call to discover your [name_u]True[/name_u] [name_m]Will[/name_m], your deepest self whose destiny is a higher purpose in perfect accordance with the Universe.
  • [name_f]Titania[/name_f] - F - “giantess, great one,” queen of the fairies from my favorite Shakespearean play, A Midsummer [name_u]Night[/name_u]'s [name_u]Dream[/name_u].
  • [name_f]Vashti[/name_f] - F - “lovely,” a Persian queen who defied her husband’s order to appear naked for his guests and became a feminist icon. I’ve loved the look and feel of this name since I was a child, but go back and forth on actually using. It somehow doesn’t feel natural when said aloud.
  • [name_f]Viola[/name_f] - F - “violet,” a botanical name and Shakespearean reference as well as a musical instrument.
  • [name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] - “honeysuckle,” lively Norwegian botanical name that always sounds elvish to me, likely because of the similar sound to Tolkien’s Rivendell.
  • [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] - F - “life,” a lilting [name_u]French[/name_u] name with Arthurian cred, as it is one of the names given to the [name_f]Lady[/name_f] of the [name_u]Lake[/name_u]. Also connected to stories of the [name_f]Fey[/name_f]. Very obliquely honors S.
  • [name_u]Willow[/name_u] - U - “willow tree,” an unearthly beautiful tree with a laundry list of literary and mythology associations, too many to name them all! Willows are another Ogham tree (Ogham is a druidic language in which each letter is associated with a calendar period, a magical tree, and a divinatory meaning.) and they have long been believed to possess magical properties. Their bark is a staple for any herbalist, as it is the substance from which aspirin is derived. Among the many references with personal meaning are the Grandmother [name_u]Willow[/name_u] from Disney’s [name_f]Pocahontas[/name_f], the eponymous male character from the fantasy movie [name_u]Willow[/name_u], and the [name_u]Willow[/name_u] Song from [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s [name_m]Othello[/name_m]. But the ultimate reference, and the reason I have fiercely adored this name since childhood is the incredible [name_u]Willow[/name_u] Rosenberg from *[name_f]Buffy[/name_f] the Vampire Slayer." Not only is she an amazing character possessed of great passion and strength beneath her shy exterior, but in many ways, she is the reason I became the witch I am today.
  • [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] - F - “Wister’s flower,” named after the horticulturist who discovered it. In Victorian flower language, wisteria is a symbol of devotion. I have adored this name since childhood, as wisterias are my favorite flower. Their dangling purple blossoms smell so heady and magical, and I love the juxtaposition between the delicate blossoms and the implacable strength of the woody vines. This flower never fails to remind me fondly of my childhood home in the Deep [name_u]South[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite nickname option is the fanciful and unexpected Wish.
  • [name_f]Yesenia[/name_f] - F - “floral,” name of a flowering tree in [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u], but used in Arabic and Spanish naming trends as well.
  • [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] - F - “evening star,” the fallen star from Stardust, one of our favorite movies. Also the feminine variant of Yvain, an Arthurian [name_m]Knight[/name_m] of the Round Table. Yet another way to get to nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f].
  • Zafiri - U - “emerald,” a children’s game that mimics the worship of [name_m]Adonis[/name_m].
  • [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] - F - “grey fighting maid; dark battle; blessed, happy,” some sources cite [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] as a dimunitive of [name_f]Griselda[/name_f], which is where the first two meanings come from; others say it is a variant of the Yiddish name [name_m]Selig[/name_m], which is the origin of the latter meaning. The reference to the popular game series obliquely honors one of T’s loved ones. I fell in love with this name after watching [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_m]Otto[/name_m]'s awesome portrayal of the badass Spellman sister and eventual matriarch of the witches from Chilling Adventures of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]. T and S have deemed this one middle only.
  • [name_f]Zorya[/name_f] - F - “star,” the Slavic triple goddess of the morning, evening, and midnight stars, who take turns watching the sky to make sure the monster chained to the star [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] does not break free and swallow the world. These three were characters in American Gods, and [name_f]Cloris[/name_f] Leachman’s captivating performance in the TV series as [name_f]Zorya[/name_f] Vechernyaya stole my heart.

And that’s everything - the Monster List is complete! Whew!

Here are the links to Part 1 Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 1: A-G) and Part 2 Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 2: I-N)

Thank you so much, dear sweet Berries, for going on this journey with me. I don’t know how I would sort this all out without your invaluable assistance!

4 Likes

My favs out of your list:
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] (I LOVE)
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]

1 Like

I like [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] and that’s a good point about [name_f]Evie[/name_f]! Since you like literature references, have you read the book [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] by [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] LaSala?

Yes, [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] is nice, but I’m going to be hardcore on team “cross it off if you don’t like it.” If it bothers you later that it’s not on the shortlist, obviously you like it more than you think, and you can add it back!

I like [name_f]Samara[/name_f] a lot! I haven’t seen The [name_m]Ring[/name_m]. [name_f]Sereia[/name_f] is nice too, I’m partial to the mermaid names as well :mermaid:t3:‍♀ Speaking of, are there any mermaid references in regards to [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]? [name_f]Talia[/name_f] means by the water and so they both give me mermaid vibes.

[name_f]Yesenia[/name_f] is a great name, I think of it as tied to a specific culture, if that’s one of y’all’s cultures than go for it.

Overall I think my favorites from this list are [name_f]Samara[/name_f] and [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], but I think the majority of my favorites for you are in part 2.

Editing to include Zorya, that’s a really awesome name, I just didn’t have myself organized enough the first time to remember to include in my list. Come to think of it, Zorya may be my favorite in this chunk of the alphabet!

1 Like

So many amazing names!!

My favourites for you:
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_u]Rune[/name_u]
[name_f]Serafina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]

If I had to pick just 3 I’d choose [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] “Wish” and [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] “[name_f]Evie[/name_f]”.

There are a few names that you mentioned not quite loving or having small grievances with and honestly you have so many great names here that I think you can afford to be picky, and if there’s a name like that then I’d personally take it off the list for now and put it to one side and then if you miss it then you know that maybe you do really love it after all. Best of luck!

1 Like

The ones that stand out to me:

Octavia
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Senara[/name_f]
[name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]

1 Like

I love: [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Serafina[/name_f], [name_f]Soraya[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_f]Yesenia[/name_f], and [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f].

Also, while I don’t particularly love the name [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] either (I prefer the sound of [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]), let me just take a moment to geek out because you mentioned [name_m]Ivanhoe[/name_m] and I’m a big fan, I feel like I never see that book mentioned and I have to comment when I do.

1 Like

My faves are [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]Snow[/name_u], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] and [name_f]Oceane[/name_f]! You have a great list of names!

1 Like

Here’s my favorites from this section of names:
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_u]Rune[/name_u]
[name_f]Senara[/name_f]
[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] (I love love love this name, also on my list)
[name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
I think my absolute favorites from this group of names were [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Rowena[/name_f], and [name_f]Serafina[/name_f].

1 Like

Another wonderful list! I would keep:

Oona
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_u]Rune[/name_u]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_u]Starling[/name_u]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]

1 Like

here are some names that I think are beautiful, unique, and usable that should be kept :blush:

Octavia
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
Satia
[name_f]Senara[/name_f]
[name_f]Sereia[/name_f]
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Yesenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Zorya[/name_f]

1 Like

Part 3 here we go:

Octavia - the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connection get s me every time

Ophelia - I’d you geek out over this name add it to your short live. Because if you geek out then you must really love it

Pandora - love the connection to [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]’s Box

Rune - I love it. It’s simple yet sophisticated

Saffron - yummy spice

Serafina - also know to be spelt [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]. [name_m]Can[/name_m] be a sneaky serpent but still a magical being like a dragon

1 Like

I’d keep:

Octavia

Oona

Rosalind

([name_f]Saffron[/name_f])

Soraya

Vashti

Willow

Wisteria

([name_f]Zelda[/name_f])

Zorya

(Gotta go back and see how far under/over 30 I wound up)

1 Like

Crikey, this was the hardest round! Please keep in mind this is all just my opinion too :wink:

I’d Keep

1. [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] may not have the most inspiring meaning, but my goodness does it carry this inexplicable, epic weight - it’s like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Titania[/name_f], [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] etc. in it’s Queenly epicness. I love that T is super into it as well. You could spice up the meanings with a couple of well-placed middles.
  2. [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] - it seems like this name has a very special place in your heart, and I adore your interpretation of her role in [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m]!! Especially since you are interested in flower language, this seems like such a beautiful and clever way to honour your favourite Shakespearean heroine and hit a lot of the stylistic notes you’re going for. Top contender for sure!
  3. [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] - I love love love the imagery I get here thinking about white clovers springing up behind where your daughter walks… it’s such a lovely and beautiful way to honour the connection to nature we all have that is so instrumental to our happiness and mental wellbeing. I also like that this is intuitive and simple while still being romantic, uncommon and magical. This activates my synaesthesia and I got white before I read your rundown of the name!
  4. [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - I was going to put [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] here, and try to convince you that the associations aren’t an issue, but to be honest [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is so earthen, feminine and strong I couldn’t let it slip. I love the association with horses and I think this name feels just as Arthurian as it does vintage. Really love this for you.
  5. [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] - this is the obvious standout for me from this list, like [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] was for the last one. It seems like you are super excited about this name and it gives you the magical sparklies. I think of a forest princess who is intimately connected to the entire ecosystem around her. The word silver and anything similar have such a glistening, smooth sound to the ear, and it feels Lothlorien-esque when that’s combined with the forest/woodland meaning. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nickname [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]!
  6. [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f] & variants - second to [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f], which seems for you to be in a league of its own. It seems like the silver-family has a special meaning to all 3 of you (if I got that gist right) and hearing you describe it as meaningful to “us” rather than “me” gives it heaps of extra points in my book. It seems like a family of names the three of you can all find special meaning in/agree on. I like [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] best, due to the glistening sound, but there are so many stunning [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f] variants too.
  7. [name_f]Titania[/name_f] - my favourite of your T names. Not only the most intuitive and easy to spell/pronounce, but also the most powerful, beautiful and timeless. I think of the Shakespearean Faerie [name_f]Queen[/name_f] when I hear this. It carries so much power and grandeur. Such an epicly beautiful name. (is epicly a word? nope. words cannot describe [name_f]Titania[/name_f]! lol)
  8. [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] - this is really striking and unique while being reasonably intuitive, owing perhaps to the popularity of [name_f]Yvonne[/name_f] and [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], meaning people will be able to figure out how to pronounce this without needing much prompting. I really adore the meaning of “evening star” and the fantastical Stardusty reference, as well as the link back to Celtic mythology. It seems like you really love [name_f]Evie[/name_f] as a nickname, and I prefer this as a route to it over [name_f]Reverie[/name_f].
  9. [name_u]Willow[/name_u] - beautiful name, definitely trendy though, and becoming popular fast. But you seem to have such a beautiful connection to this name and I couldn’t bring myself to boot it off on the basis of trendiness/popularity; there are some names one simply loves too much. If I were you, I’d go with a more interesting first name but definitely slot this in as a middle if it works. I still chucked it onto the Top 10 because it felt too special to you.
  10. [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] - I debated on whether or not I could keep both [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] on the Top 10, but they both seem to have equally special meaning for you, and your suggestion of the nickname Wish pushed me over the edge; keep keep keep! It’s truly one of the most beautiful plants I’ve ever seen. The only thing I’d be mindful of is it’s related to one of [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m]'s recent songs, meaning it might be headed for a bit of a moment in the spotlight.

I’d Drop
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f] - you have so many ocean names already that you seem more in love with, and also have more subtle, artful nods to the sea. I also know someone [name_u]French[/name_u] with this name who lives in an [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking country, and everyone mispronounces it “oh-shun” instead of “oh-cee-ahn / oh-cee-anne”.
[name_f]Oleanna[/name_f] - there are other O names on here that seem to be more meaningful for you, or are more liked by the three of you.
Oriande - ditto
[name_f]Orinthia[/name_f] - ditto
[name_f]Oona[/name_f] - ditto
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f] - you don’t seem certain on this one. I personally don’t think of the streaming service at all, but I do sometimes think of the jewellery - BUT the main association will always be the mythology and I’d expect most people will feel the same. [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]'s Box is a well-known story. If you can get over your association worries, I’d bump this onto the top 10. It’s a stunning name.
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] - while this is lovely, if the association is inescapable, there’s nothing you can do except take heart in the fact that you have great alternatives like [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and [name_u]Rune[/name_u].
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] - I think a lot of people are starting to use Greek Mythology names (or any mythology really) without worrying too much about the actual story. Like, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]'s rising in popularity in spite of the tragic associations, [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] in spite of the darkness, etc. many people see them now just as names in their own right, not necessarily intrinsically tied to the myth. For what it’s worth, I don’t even know the myth of [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] and wouldn’t consider someone with this name problematic. With that being said, you seem uncomfortable with using it, so I’d drop it for something you’re more sure about.
[name_f]Sereia[/name_f] - I too love this name, but have been informed by Portuguese speakers that it literally is just the word for mermaid, which is why you can’t find much info on it, and that using it would be like someone Portuguese living in the US naming their daughter Mermaid. It’s more like a word than a name.
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] - not better than [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f] - I would never have made the connection to the horror films but that’s because I never watch them lol. Others might find this a strong association. The fact that it’s the antagonist in the films gives me pause, so I’d say drop it. I also think [name_f]Senara[/name_f] is better, and you seem to like it more.
Sabriel - pronunciation unclear, wasn’t sure if it was say-bree-uhl or sah-bree-uhl?
Satia - again, pronunciation unclear. Is it say-shya like the word satiation? [name_u]Or[/name_u] say-tee-uh?
Sinfai - I just don’t love this as much as some of your other S options; can it stand up to [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] or [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]?
[name_f]Sireli[/name_f] - ditto above
[name_f]Taika[/name_f] - this could just be my NZ perspective but I see this as a male Māori name thanks to [name_f]Taika[/name_f] Waititi, and with his increasing star power, more and more people will make this association. Not a bad association at all, but it may not come across as the Finnish name you intend it as. You’re also not sold on the look and sound.
[name_f]Tanith[/name_f] - if the Borderlands NPC is more well-known than any other iteration of this name, I’d steer clear.
[name_f]Thalassa[/name_f] - thalassaphobia is what I think of when I hear this, which is the fear of oceans and deep water.
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f] - I think [name_f]Titania[/name_f] is a more powerful and beautiful version of this. [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] feels a bit trendy while [name_f]Titania[/name_f] feels completely timeless and epic
Thelema - seems like a misspelling of [name_f]Thelma[/name_f].
[name_f]Vashti[/name_f] - wouldn’t use if you’re not Persian/Iranian. And you’re unsure about it anyway.
[name_f]Yesenia[/name_f] - [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] seems to be a better Y name for you, and I’d have to agree.
Zafiri - the other two Z names seem to have more meaning for you.

Meh
[name_f]Senara[/name_f], [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] and [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] - all lovely, but they don’t stand up to [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]/Sylvana & variants for me, and it seems like you like the latter more as well. I wouldn’t say drop these necessarily, but it seems like the silver name family is really special to you and makes your heart sing. When considering what S names to keep in my top 10 for you, I just couldn’t go past the Sylv-family.
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] - I feel like [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] is a more interesting, witchy version of this name and I like the meaning more… as well as the fact that I’ve seen lots of [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]/Vivian love on this site of late, meaning it might be destined for even more popularity.

Keep Only for Middles:
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_u]Rune[/name_u]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivendel[/name_u]
[name_u]Zorya[/name_u]

I was fully expecting to see Ostara on here! I feel like it’s right up your alley. [name_m]Can[/name_m] I be cheeky and curious and ask if/why that didn’t make your list?

My Top 30 For You

[name_u]Alder[/name_u], [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_f]Asherah[/name_f], Belladona, [name_f]Celestia[/name_f], [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], [name_f]Cynara[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], [name_f]Inanna[/name_f]/Ishtar, [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Laverna[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f], Luthien, [name_f]Melusine[/name_f], [name_f]Nimue[/name_f], [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvana[/name_f] & variants, [name_f]Titania[/name_f], [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u] & [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]

If I had to narrow it down to 5 favourites for you, I’d choose…

1. [name_f]Illyria[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]

Gonna go away and work on some combos with my 30 favourites and will share when you make your combo brainstorming thread :white_heart:

1 Like

I love this list as well! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is probably part 1, but there are some gorgeous names here that I love for you!

My favourites:
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] the sound and elf-vibes!
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] - One of my personal favourites! I love your knowledge of and relationship with the shakesperian character and think it would be a very lovely choice for you to use.
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - A personal favourite which reminds me of spring, herbs, wild nature, and flowery scents in the air. I love this!
Satia - I love it with the pronunciation “Sa-tea-ah”
[name_f]Senara[/name_f] - Very graceful and elegant and seems to tie very well into features of a name which you love!
[name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] - Never heard of this name before but it brings on the most pleasant imagery and has an enchanting sound.
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] - A personal favourite name. It is extremely elegant and musical, with a strong female character behind it.
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] - [name_u]Willow[/name_u] seems more upbeat and quirky than many of the names on your list, which are a little more earthbound and strong. Nonetheless, the sound and significance of the name makes it a winner. I can only imagine a child with this name being kind, happy, and freethinking.

In terms of the name [name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] I adore it, but you strike me as someone who cares about all the little details of a name, and I think the problematic nature of the story would mean you wouldn’t use it. I also agree that you should strike [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] - if you don’t love it simply don’t bring it to the shortlist.

1 Like

What a wonderful list you have

I’d keep

Olwen
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]
[name_f]Senara[/name_f]
[name_f]Tanith[/name_f]

1 Like

Another list of beauties.

Stand outs:
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_u]Rune[/name_u]
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]/Sylvana and all variants.
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]

My favorites for you guys from all of the lists as a first name is [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]/Sylvie variation, Lumiere/Lumi variation, [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], and [name_f]Fern[/name_f]/ Lunaria. [name_m]Reading[/name_m] the descriptions of these particular names, these 5+ names, feel really meaningful for 2 if not all 3 partners.

1 Like

My favorites are…

Opal
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Sireli[/name_f]
[name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_f]Sylvana[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]

You have a great list!

1 Like

Octavia
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Sireli[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]

1 Like

Your names are just so good it easy to understand why you’re having a hard time narrowing them down! Top picks:

Octavia
[name_f]Olwen[/name_f]
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_u]Rune[/name_u] (good middle name)
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f] (love this one a lot; very earthy)
[name_f]Sireli[/name_f]
[name_u]Snow[/name_u] (makes a great middle)
[name_u]Starling[/name_u] (love)
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivendel[/name_u] (totally new lovely)

1 Like

I would rather keep
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]

I hope this helps!