Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 1: A-G)

SECOND UPDATE: Round 3 of the process of editing the Monster List has begun - and this is the fun part. If you are interested, here is the link: Round Three of the Monster List: It's Combo Time, Witches!

UPDATE: Round 2 of the process of editing the Monster List has begun over on this thread, if you are interested: Round Two of the Monster List: The Questioning

We are due in less than two months, and I am starting to feel the pressure! I’ve finally assembled all my favorite magical, witchy, nature-drenched names into one long list of femme and unisex names, and it totals to a whopping 140 plus. This is entirely too many names to take with us to the hospital, so I’m hoping that with your help I can narrow it down to the gulp thirty-ish range.

For a little context, I am in a long-term polyamorous relationship with two live-in partners, and we will all be co-parenting together. I’ve called them T and S to avoid confusion. We’re also super pagan, hence all the witchy names! We’re planning to use two middle names, which is part of how the list got so long in the first place. Our last name spelled phonetically is KAY-lahr.

Because this list is so long, I’m breaking it down into multiple threads so I hopefully don’t overwhelm everyone. When I get all the posts up, I’ll come back and include links to each one at the end of the others for convenience. Once we get the list narrowed down somewhat, I’ll probably make a combo brainstorming thread as well.

Okay, on to the monster list!

• Aetheria - F - “belonging to the aether,” in which aether means “the bright pure air; the sky above the air.” In Greek mythology, a daughter of [name_m]Helios[/name_m] who was turned into a poplar tree.
  • [name_f]Akasha[/name_f] - U - “sky, aether, heaven,” refers to the Akashic records, which is library of knowledge on another plane that certain psychic or sensitive individuals can access.
  • [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] - F - “kingfisher,” a figure from Greek mythology associated with [name_u]Halcyon[/name_u] Days and the sea. This name has personal significance to T and I, as a place with this name and its proprietor played an important role in our early relationship. Middle only.
  • [name_u]Alder[/name_u] - U - “alder tree,” Old [name_f]English[/name_f] surname referencing alder trees, which have magical properties. Usually given to boys. Reference to powerful witch matriarch [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Alder[/name_u] from Motherland: [name_m]Fort[/name_m] [name_u]Salem[/name_u]. This has a spiritual connection for the three of us, because we are in the process of buying land to build our dream home, and the property we have placed an offer on is covered in alder trees!
  • [name_f]Alice[/name_f] - F - “noble,” references to the famous Wonderland books and adaptations, the psychic heroine from the Resident Evil series, and one of T’s favorite songs about a girl named [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. One of T’s favorite names. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] - F - “to sparkle,” a floral name featured in several famous poems.
  • Aradia - F - “to watch over,” a variant of [name_f]Herodias[/name_f]. This name comes from Aradia: Gospel of the Witches, a religious text by a 19th century folklorist that became foundational for many branches of neopaganism, though its accuracy has long-since been disputed. In the book, Aradia is the child of [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] and the goddess [name_f]Diana[/name_f], and the mother of all witches.
  • [name_f]Araluen[/name_f] - F - “place of the water lilies,” Aboriginal name, Australian place name, and fictional world in a series of novels. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it for the sound and meaning!
  • [name_f]Arianell[/name_f] - F - “silver,” a gorgeous Welsh name with a meaning that holds spiritual significance to the three of us. The downsides with this name are the similarity to a close friend’s daughter, named [name_f]Ariya[/name_f], and concerns that the sound is too similar to the word [name_m]Aryan[/name_m].
  • Arundel - U - “dell of horehound (the herb); little swallow (the bird),” an Old [name_f]English[/name_f] place name associated with a castle. The herbalist in me loves the meaning.
  • [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] - F - “she who treads on the sea,” a Sumerian goddess associated with water signs. She was one of the original mother goddesses and consort to the OT God before the Israelites absorbed him from the Canaanite pantheon. Nickname [name_u]Ash[/name_u] would honor a close friend. The downside with this name is that conservative [name_u]Christian[/name_u] family members may strenuously object.
  • [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - F - “isle of apples,” enchanted island of Arthurian and Celtic legend where [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] sleeps and the old druidic religion is believed to still hold sway.
  • [name_f]Avonlea[/name_f] - F - “river by a field,” a fanciful place name with literary cred.
  • [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] - F - “beautiful lady,” Latin name for deadly nightshade, a poisonous plant used in both magic and medicine. This is one of my personal favorites.
  • [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] - F - “beautiful [name_f]Diana[/name_f]; bright, pure,” a powerful maiden from [name_u]Spenser[/name_u]'s epic poem The Faerie Queene.
  • [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - F - “white, pure,” character from one of my favorite Shakespearean plays, The Taming of the Shrew. Italian form of [name_f]Blanche[/name_f], which would honor my great-grandmother.
  • [name_u]Briar[/name_u] - U - “a thorny patch,” references to a beloved character from [name_f]Tamora[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m]'s Circle of [name_u]Magic[/name_u] series and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] from Sleeping Beauty. I have been crushing so hard on this name, but it is problematic because of a child we knew. We did not part ways with his parents on good terms. I know I should let go of this one, but I can’t seem to strike it from the list. Convince me!
  • Caelia - F - “sky,” a fairy queen from Arthurian romance, mother of the Faerie [name_m]Knight[/name_m] and ruler of the House of Holiness from [name_u]Spenser[/name_u]'s The Faerie Queene. [name_f]Celia[/name_f] is a more easily spelled variant.
  • [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] - F - “heavenly.” Also like variants [name_f]Celestine[/name_f], the name of a gorgeous blue crystal, and [name_f]Celestia[/name_f], though this one has strong ties to [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_m]Little[/name_m] Pony.
  • Chime - U - “cymbal; deathless, immortal,” the latter meaning comes from Tibet in which Chime means “death does not exist / transcending death.” Middle only.
  • Chione - F - “snow maiden,” several characters in Greek mythology and folklore. Daughter of the [name_u]North[/name_u] wind in one tale, a naiad in another, and in yet another, she was turned into a cloud of snow. Also spelled [name_f]Khione[/name_f], though I prefer Chione with our last name. This one keeps moving on and off the list.
  • [name_f]Circe[/name_f] - F - “bird; to encircle,” Greek sorceress and daughter of the sun with the power to turn others into animals. I love love LOVE this name, but both partners only think of [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister. What do you think? Is that too strong an association to overcome?
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] - F - “clear, famous,” references to the heroine of The Nutcracker ballet and a [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] Who companion. One of the most normal names on my list.
  • [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - F - “heart; daughter of the sea,” a first-rate Shakespearean reference, as well as a nod to the character from [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off series [name_u]Angel[/name_u]. She wouldn’t be my first choice of character to name someone after, but I cannot get over the look, sound, and meaning of this name. It’s just beautiful. Potential downside: we are friends with a couple whose daughter is named [name_u]Corrie[/name_u].
  • [name_f]Corisande[/name_f] - F - “to heal the heart; girl; chorus-singer,” a name from medieval romance, famous mistress of one of the Kings [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and a haunting literary character. Potential downside: we are friends with a couple whose daughter is named [name_u]Corrie[/name_u]. [name_m]Bigger[/name_m] downside: T thinks it sounds like “courtesan.”
  • [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] - F - “order, beauty,” references the Orphan [name_m]Black[/name_m] character and has scientific and musical cred. To me, this name feels like “cosmos” and inspires my synesthesia, not something I get with every name. With [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], I see clouds of navy blue with silver sparkles.
  • [name_f]Cynara[/name_f] - F - “thistly plant,” a Greek botanical Greek name that makes me think of swans.
  • [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] - U - “cypress tree,” a mysterious tree name associated with the Underworld found in magic, medicine, and mythology. Usually given to boys. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Deirdre[/name_f] - F - “daughter of sorrows; teardrop; thus said the Druids,” a tragic figure from Irish folklore. I love her sound and her connection to the Druids, but worry that her story is so sad that it would be a problematic name for a child.
  • Dracaena - F - “female dragon,” Latin name for dragon’s blood, which makes a powerful incense. I really ought to take this one off the list, as it’s a little out-there, even for me, and there are too many repetitive sounds with our last name. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] - F - “bright shining one,” Irish variant of [name_f]Helen[/name_f], main character in a controversial modern novel. I loved this name as a child.
  • Eilir - F - “butterfly; spring,” [name_m]Alban[/name_m] Eilir is the Druid festival of the [name_f]Spring[/name_f] Equinox.
  • Elentari - F - “star queen,” a Tolkien Quenya name, related to Elbereth, an elvish queen whose name has the same meaning in Sindarin.
  • [name_f]Elestren[/name_f] - F - “iris,” Cornish botanical name with starry vibes.
  • [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - F - “elm,” another Cornish botanical name that feels elven to me. This one has been on the list for a very long time. I love the sound and meaning and the way it rolls off the tongue.
  • [name_f]Eve[/name_f] - F - “life,” the first woman in Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] mythology, as well as a word name meaning evening. Two of my favorite character references: orphan-turned-revolutionary [name_f]Evey[/name_f] from V for [name_f]Vendetta[/name_f] and spirited librarian [name_f]Evie[/name_f] from The Mummy.
  • [name_u]Fable[/name_u] - U - “a short tale, often with a moral lesson,” one of my absolute favorite word names, laden with a sense of magic and mystery. Obliquely honors a friend of mine who I met playing the eponymous video game series. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Farasha[/name_f] - F - “butterfly,” an Arabic name with connotations of transformation.
  • [name_f]Fawn[/name_f] - F - “young deer,” a soft and woodsy nature name that I’ve always loved. Middle only.
  • [name_f]Fern[/name_f] - U - “bold voyager; one who lives among the ferns,” a beautiful botanical name laden with personal and spiritual significance. Variant Fearn is the Ogham month and rune associated with the alder tree. (Ogham is a druidic language in which each letter is associated with a calendar period, a magical tree, and a divinatory meaning.) Between this association and the fact that we live in the [name_m]Pacific[/name_m] Northwest, this name has double the ties to the land we’ll be homesteading on. It is also one of S’s favorite names.
  • [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] - F - “true sovereignty,” a rare Gaelic name with a magical, fairy-like look, feel, and sound. It activates my synesthesia, so that I see green leafy patterns and gauzy white, like mist or sheer fabric.
  • Feronia - F - “to bear,” a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] fertility goddess associated with the harvest and a witch in Tuscan legend. I go back and forth on this one.
  • [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f] - F - “[name_m]Forsyth[/name_m]'s flower,” a flowering shrub named after Scottish botanist [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m]. [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m] means “man of peace.” I love the look and sound of this name, but I wish it had a deeper meaning. It does give me a little synesthesia, shades of shadowy purple and green.
  • [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] - F - “white snow; blessed snow,” essentially the Welsh name for [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White.

I think that’s where I’ll end this chunk, which is about a third of the total list. The next one will pick up at the letter I, since I don’t have any H names on my list. Something about them always irritates my synesthesia.

Here is the link to Part 2: Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 2: I-N) and Part 3 is now up here: Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list of names! (Part 3: O-Z)

Thank you in advance for your help, dear Berries. I can always count on you to get my head on straight!

What an excellent list! I can see why you’re having trouble!

I’ll suggest keeping…

Gwyneira
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_u]Alder[/name_u]
Aradia
Arundel
[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f]

1 Like

Cool list! It’s obvious how much thought and meaning you’ve put into this so far. Anyway, my favs are:

Belladonna
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
Caelia
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] (my mind definitely goes to the Greek [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] and not [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister, but I do like Greek mythology and was never madly into GoT)
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]

1 Like

Wow, what a stunning list! I may not have helped a lot with all the names I included for you to keep - sorry, they’re just lovely! And congrats on your pregnancy, I wish you and your family all the best :heart:

My favourites from your list:
Aetheria - I love this name! I often think Greek names have such strength and character to them, but this name is reminiscent of the word etherial, making it so soft and mystical at the same time.
[name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] - I think this would be an amazing middle!
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - Such a classic name that suits so many different people. I think it’s melodious and makes a lovely middle.
[name_f]Araluen[/name_f] - [name_m]Just[/name_m] such a stunning name! The meaning and musical sound are just gorgeous.
[name_f]Arianell[/name_f] - I totally get your concern, but I know two girls with the name and people never make the connection. As for being similar to your friend’s daughter’s name, I don’t think it’s too obvious at all!
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - So strong and mystical with a great story behind it!
[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] - [name_f]Melodic[/name_f] and visually stunning
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] - I adore this name as well! I will say people may think of the character the next few years, but after some time it won’t be an issue.
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] - I think this is a beautiful name and with such a lovely reaction from your synaesthesia it would be a lovely way to tell your child how you picked their name.
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - [name_m]Just[/name_m] the most elegant name with the best imagery!
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] - As a [name_m]Scot[/name_m], I love seeing this name in use! It is so elegant and strong at the same time.

As for the name [name_u]Briar[/name_u], I love it as well, but it seems like it’s a no-go for you. I will say the only other think that would keep me from it is that it is gaining popularity. Maybe keep it as a middle?

1 Like

What a faboulous list! I would keep:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Arianell[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f]

1 Like

what a gorgeous list :pleading_face: i looked for the ones that seemed like you had the most connection to along with ones that i personally just find beautiful

Aetheria
[name_u]Alder[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Belladonna[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u] (maybe for a middle if there’s doubts?)
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] (the association will die on, and it is stunning still)
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]

1 Like

I would keep:

Avonlea

Bianca

Cosima

Elowen

Eve

Gwyneira

1 Like

My favourites for you:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Alcyone[/name_f]
Arundel
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Corisande[/name_f]
[name_u]Cypress[/name_u]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Fawn[/name_f]

Favourites of these:
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] [name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] [name_u]Cypress[/name_u]
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_u]Lark[/name_u]

1 Like

My top choices:

Alder
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Avonlea[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Eileen[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]

1 Like

Lots of beautiful names on this list! [name_f]My[/name_f] personal “loves” from your list are [name_u]Alder[/name_u], [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f], [name_f]Arianell[/name_f], [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_f]Deirdre[/name_f], [name_f]Eileen[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and [name_f]Fern[/name_f].

1 Like

You have an incredible list! Best wishes to you and your family, so exciting to get to co-parent together.

My favourites from your list are (my most favourite are starred):

Aetheria
[name_u]Alder[/name_u]
[name_f]Arianell[/name_f] *
Arundel
[name_f]Avonlea[/name_f] *
[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] *
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] (my favourite variant is [name_f]Celestine[/name_f]!)
Chione *
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f] *
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Fawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] *
[name_f]Forsythia[/name_f]

1 Like

My favorites are…

Alice
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]

Hope this helps!

1 Like

for you, I like:

Alcyone
[name_u]Alder[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Araluen[/name_f]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]

hope this helps you!

1 Like

This is such a cool list! I would keep:

Alice
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Avonlea[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
Caelia
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]

1 Like

Love all your names, but you should keep [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Avalon[/name_f], [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]/Celestia, [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], and [name_f]Fawn[/name_f]!

1 Like

oh wow, your list is magical! we have quite a similar style, so I imagine I’ll struggle picking through, but I’ll do my best.

a slow analysis of each name

Aetheria ~
I love this and the vibe seems perfect for you, but you didn’t rave about it like some of your others
Akasha ~
not my vibe so much, though I love the meaning. doesn’t seem as fantastical or exciting.
Alcyone ~
a personal favourite, and I love that it has a personal connection to you and T. I think it would be a perfect middle name, though I would avoid an A first name with it.
Alder ~
not my thing, but its significance to you makes it seem perfect! I think this would make a lovely middle name. it’s less exciting (and I’m not sure about the flow with your last name), but the significance is hard to ignore.
Alice ~
beautiful, but not so exciting. because it has so many associations, it doesn’t feel as delightful or magical - maybe a nice middle!
Amaryllis ~
lovely, and I love that it’s a nature name, but you didn’t rave about it. definitely for consideration though.
Aradia ~
beautiful and has a significant religious connection to you - I think it should be in consideration.
Araluen ~
beautiful and an old love of mine! it feels a little less enchanting, but you clearly adore it.
Arianell ~
stunning, and definitely worth considering, but don’t ignore a gut inclination against it. the children will likely find the similarity in their names amusing and exciting though. this one needs a lot of consideration, I think.
Arundel ~
lovely, but sounds very much like the setting of frozen. I cannot imagine modern children completely unaware of this, so it could lead to jokes.
Asherah ~
seems perfect for you. I would be surprised if your other names did not rouse objection among conservative christian faily members? this sounds like a personal problem, so I think you’d have to talk to your family.
Avalon ~
lovely, and seems good for you, though might blend in amongst the Avas
Avonlea ~
sweet, but doesn’t seem very you. It feels a lot lighter and more whimsical, and I would assume a huge love of anne of green gables. also might blend in with the Avas.
Belladonna ~
I’m a big fan, and I love that it’s a personal favourite of yours. my only qualm is the inevitability of [name_f]Bella[/name_f].
Belphoebe ~
one of my personal favourites! seems about right for you as well.
Bianca ~
lovely, and I appreciate the significance. it feels less magical, but seems good for you.
Briar ~
that one’s up to you. maybe ask your partners to convince you? because I’m not seeing the negatives, honestly.
Caelia ~
a favourite of mine! I think this is a great option, though there will be spelling/pronunciation confusions.
Celeste ~
lovely, but jumps out less than your others. I think [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] fits the vibe a little better.
Chime ~
seems like a perfect middle name, maybe a second middle.
Chione ~
I think you should stick with a name that’s solid for you, not something you’ll question endlessly. It’s beautiful, but I don’t think it’s the one.
Circe ~
this is one of my actual favourite names, but whilst I think it’s possible to overcome the association (my mum did), you shouldn’t pick something unless all three of you are totally in love with it.
Clara ~
beautiful, but feels a little lacking in comparison. unlike [name_f]Alice[/name_f], which was also on the normal side but had seemingly hundreds of relevances, it’s just pretty.
Cordelia ~
I really like this for you. I stand by my previous point that the children would be amused rather than irritated, but if you can’t get over it, I think it would be a perfect candidate for a middle name.
Corisande ~
another favourite of mine, and I love the meaning. however, if T isn’t sold on it, I don’t think it’s an option - I personally believe you need to all be utterly in love with your little one’s name.
Cosima ~
this is absolutely beautiful, and seems just right for you. I especially like that it sparks your synesthesia.
Cynara ~
lovely, but seems less special than some of your others.
Cypress ~
lovely, though less me than some of your others, I think it would be a stunning middle name for you.
Deirdre ~
I personally don’t think the sadness of her story would be a problem, but if it’s holding you back, you have to listen. I’ve known a few Deirdes, so I doubt the association would be strong for others.
Dracaena ~
I actually used to know a Dracana! it’s perfect and lovely, but I think you have to let her go, given your concerns.
Eileen ~
pretty, but I don’t think she’s worth holding onto. it feels a bit more midcentury to me, and lacks the magic and spiritual connection of so many of your others. plus everyone (including me) would end up singing come on eileen.
Eilir ~
I love the meaning and sound, though you don’t sound especially attached to it.
Elentari ~
lovely, although I feel the ones connected to your religion sparkle a little more than an - admittedly stunning - tolkien name
Elestren ~
stunning, and it’s been on my list for a while, but to me, it sounds a bit too much like a medicine.
Elowen ~
I love [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], although it is picking up steam a bit. it seems to fit you pretty much perfectly, though!
Eve ~
lovely, though I know a lot of Evies. maybe as a middle?
Fable ~
sounds like a lovely middle, and it really seems to connect with you.
Farasha ~
I love the meaning, but I’m afraid I just can’t get behind the sound.
Fawn ~
very sweet, and I think it would make a lovely middle.
Fern ~
this really seems inescapably perfect for you.
Ferelith ~
one of my absolute favourite names! I love that it activates your synesthesia, love the sound, and love the vibe. I think this is an excellent contender.
Feronia ~
beautiful - and it seems right for you - but I think you should be 100% committed to your final choice, and you really don’t seem to be with this.
Forsythia ~
I like this very much myself, but whilst I don’t think deeper meaning is critical everytime, you sound a little disappointed by it.
Gwyneira ~
beautiful and lovely. I think it’s a wonderful option for you, though you really don’t seems so excited.

very quick summary ~
definitely keep without a doubt:

Alcyone
[name_u]Alder[/name_u]
Aradia
[name_f]Araluen[/name_f]
[name_f]Belladonna[/name_f]
Bephoebe
Chime
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Fawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]

I think it’s perfect but you don’t sound excited so definitely keep if you are but drop otherwise:

Aetheria
Caelia
Eilir
[name_f]Forsythia[/name_f]

I would probably drop:

Arundel
[name_f]Avonlea[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
Chione
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] (very sadly)
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Corisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Cynara[/name_f]
Dracaena
[name_f]Eileen[/name_f]
Elentari
[name_f]Elestren[/name_f]
Feronia

1 Like

Amaryllis really stands out to me. I also am liking [name_f]Eileen[/name_f].

1 Like

I suggest keeping [name_u]Alder[/name_u] on your list! I love the connection to the trees on your property, it makes it a sort of family name for everyone. Beautiful, and also a nice name in general. I have a feeling I’ll be pushing for this one throughout and see it going well in a double middle name. The -er ending might not work for a first name when you have it in the surname.

I really love [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] and I’ll champion it if you want me too, it’s so great, but it also is a bit different in style than some of your names. For example, [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is not for me, but it does seem to be at the center of your taste.

Also I think [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] should stay on your list at least for now! A very exciting name that has the qualities you’re looking for, and for me I feel a “wow” factor just seeing it and thinking about it

1 Like

How exciting for you and your family, and what a show-stopping list!

I’m going to choose my top 10 for you from each of your three posts, since you want to arrive at around 30 names. When I’ve gone through your whole list, I’ll give my top 30 favourites :slight_smile: [name_f]My[/name_f] top 10 and ultimate top 30 will only be for first names, but I’ll suggest what I think you should keep in the bag for middles, and at the end I’ll throw some combos together.

As someone born with an uncommon (if beautiful) name that was incredibly difficult for people to spell/pronounce, my suggestions are coloured by that experience. I ended up legally changing my name to a nickname variant because it became so depersonalising to have people constantly get my name wrong. This is something I’d consider since many of your options are more ‘out there’ - which, don’t get me wrong, I love! But I feel it’s just an important disclaimer for why I’ve seconded the more intuitive options you have.

Favs for a first name: (not in any particular order)

1. [name_u]Alder[/name_u] - you’ve been making posts about [name_u]Alder[/name_u] since last year (at least) and it seems like you’ve loved it for a while. It’s also a great non-binary option.

2. [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - I know I’m being biased here but this is one of my favourite names, and I love that it has such ancient, mystical, celtic vibes while still being accessible and intuitive.

3. [name_f]Asherah[/name_f] - I love, love, love the meaning this holds and the fact that it also honours a
    close friend. This is an incredibly powerful name.

Flush it. As a fellow pagan with conservative [name_u]Christian[/name_u] family members, my opinion is that their personal religious views should hold no sway in the naming of your child. I’d completely scrap this downside and use this name if you want to. It’s gorgeous!

1. [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] - it’s one of your personal favourites as well as being a bonafide bad-a$$ in every way :wink: Again, intuitive to spell/pronounce, yet incredibly uncommon, beautiful and feminine but with an unexpected bada$$ meaning, strong yet gentle. Also a Tolkien connection here as [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] is the mother of [name_m]Bilbo[/name_m] Baggins. [name_u]Love[/name_u], love, love.

2. [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]/Celestia/Celestine - I’ve never liked that this name rhymes with m0leste, but that’s just a personal association. I like [name_f]Celestia[/name_f] for you, but you seem held back by the [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_m]Little[/name_m] Pony thing (which I never would have connected, for what it’s worth). Maybe they’ll really love [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_m]Little[/name_m] Pony as a kid and would like to see their name in it! I would go with the variants [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] or [name_f]Celestia[/name_f] (personal fav) which are both amazing. When I hear [name_f]Celestia[/name_f] I think of the whole universe. It’s a really powerful name.

3. [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] - Any name that activates your synaesthesia in such a beautiful way is worth considering! I also get the same image from this name and it’s why I love it too. Another one that’s fairly intuitive while still being magical, mythological and vast.

4. [name_f]Cynara[/name_f] - I also get swans here! It’s the Cygne association. This is another intuitive gem that is underused. I love the way this sounds with your surname.

5. [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] actually means “star-maiden” in Tolkien’s Sindarin, so you get the same (or very close) meaning as Elentari while still using a name that is reasonably doable for the average person. The fact that it has been on your list for a long time is a huge plus.

6. [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] - amazingly powerful yet gentle, fae-like vibes here. I love this name to bits. It also doesn’t feel super-feminine and I could also see this on a boy or non-binary person.

7. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - I’d keep this because you seem to love it so much. If you don’t plan to use the nickname [name_u]Corrie[/name_u], I wouldn’t worry about it. There are plenty of other nicknames for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] that are just as, if not more, natural and intuitive. I like that this also gives you the sound of Caelia on the end, so you get that vibe as well. “Daughter of the sea” is a simply stunning meaning, oh my goddess. Mermaid vibes.

Middle name keeps:

• [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] - love this as a middle and it has personal meaning for you! Keep keep!
  • [name_f]Fern[/name_f] - this seems a little too simple/common for you in the first name slot, but I appreciate the meaning it holds for you and that it’s one of S’s favourites. I’d use this as one of the middles.
  • [name_f]Fawn[/name_f] and [name_u]Fable[/name_u] - other great middle options!
  • [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and Eilir - I’d also keep these but only in the middle.
  • [name_f]Alice[/name_f] - meaningful to T.
  • [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f] - doesn’t seem to carry such a deep meaning for you, but would be great to keep in your back pocket for middle names
  • [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] - really cool middle, doesn’t feel weighty enough for the first spot
  • Aetheria - very pretty and I love the meaning. Cute nickname potential ([name_f]Thera[/name_f], [name_f]Ria[/name_f], Aetha etc) … I wanted so badly to put this as one of my favourites, but the pronunciation/spelling knocked it down - it seems like it might be difficult for people to get it right. Gorgeous in the middle though

Names that are just ‘meh’ to me:

• Arundel - feels much more like a place name than a human name. It doesn’t sparkle as much as many of your other choices (to me personally, at least)
  • [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] - feels less magical than many of your other options

I’d drop…

• Chime - too similar to chyme, the stomach’s gastric juices.
  • Dracaena - amazing name but it seems like you already know this one won’t work. [name_m]Even[/name_m] as a middle it will be close to your surname and create a repetitive sound. Consider this the final push to knock it off.
  • [name_f]Corisande[/name_f] - you seem to love your other C names more, and if there is a C name T likes more as well, might as well go with that. I also think it sounds like courtesan.
  • [name_f]Akasha[/name_f] - personally I think this might be mistaken for [name_f]Alaska[/name_f]. I know someone with a similar name to a more common name and people CONSTANTLY mistake her for the common version. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though the names are not the same. I also think Aetheria is a more interesting, beautiful name referring to the aether.
  • [name_f]Arianell[/name_f] - you’re right about the [name_m]Aryan[/name_m] thing. I’d steer as clear as you can from anything like that.
  • [name_f]Araluen[/name_f] - I personally wouldn’t use this if the baby wasn’t Aboriginal. There is a long and continued history of racist violence in Australia.
  • [name_f]Deirdre[/name_f] - I really love the “thus said the Druids” it’s super powerful… but sadly the rest of the association is very tragic and it seems like you already have that reservation. You have better, more positive names on the list imho.
  • [name_f]Circe[/name_f] - Though the association to Game of Thrones may not last forever, there is another GOT prequel coming out on HBO (admittedly without [name_f]Cersei[/name_f], but still) so the pop culture moment is far from over. I also think it might be mispronounced. I’ve heard keer-kuh, kur-kuh, sur-see, seer-say, etc etc
  • Chione - if it keeps moving on and off the list, I’d take that as a sign and go with something more constant
  • Caelia - I would have intuitively pronounced this KAY-lee-yuh which felt almost like a kree8tyve spelling of [name_f]Kaylia[/name_f] or some kind of modern/trendy name. Knowing it’s [name_f]Celia[/name_f] makes it much more beautiful, but I’d expect pronunciation/spelling issues with this
  • [name_u]Briar[/name_u] - storming up the popularity charts as we speak
  • Aradia - I want to love this so much, but I keep seeing it as a miss-spelling of [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f].
  • [name_f]Forsythia[/name_f] - with so many great names on here with deep, powerful and special meanings for you, I’d drop anything that doesn’t measure up in that regard
  • [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] - I’m not sure [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White is as powerful a namesake as some of your other options, and the name might be tricky to spell/pronounce
  • Feronia - if you go back and forth, boot it. With 140 names you probably need to be a little cut throat haha!
  • [name_f]Farasha[/name_f] - SO stunning but kind of feels a bit sing-song with your surname.
  • [name_f]Avonlea[/name_f] - I feel like [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] is a more powerful, witchy version of this
  • [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] - ditto, with [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] - doesn’t seem to have much personal meaning, and I think [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is a very similar name that carries a special meaning to T
  • [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] - feels dated compared to many of your more timeless choices
  • [name_f]Elestren[/name_f] - I love this to smithereens but I dropped it in favour of [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], which I think is a better name and hits more of your points
  • Elentari - with my username, you’d think this would be my top vote :wink: however I have to say ditto [name_f]Elestren[/name_f] vs [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] here; [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is a better name that achieves the same things

[name_f]Heaven[/name_f] and earth, this was painfully difficult. You have so many amazing options. I can’t imagine how tricky this must be for you! See you in the next post :wink:

2 Likes

Firstly, congratulations, and I LOVE witchy, earthy, [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], and mythology names. I loved hearing your associations to the names, I do that too, meaning and association can make the name for me.

Hope you don’t mind me answering a-z in one reply, I put combos too

My favorites from your list

Avalon/ [name_f]Avonlea[/name_f]

Briar

Cosima

Deirdre

Elowen

Eve

Fable

Illyria

Juliet

Lenore