Help me pick between these 7 boys' names!

We have great girls’ names to choose from, but are at a loss for boys’ names. Here is our top 7. Which do you like and why? Our last name starts with a V and is hard to pronounce. Thanks!

[name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]

You have some wonderful names on your list. [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] would be the classic trio I would choose. These names are timeless and they buck every trend and cannot be pigeonholed into any period. If you want something more modern, [name_m]Grant[/name_m] would be my choice. I prefer the [name_m]Philip[/name_m] spelling with one l ([name_m]Phillip[/name_m] looks more like a surname rather than a first name to me).

[name_m]Phillip[/name_m] - I prefer one L. this name is ok but I don’t really like [name_u]Phil[/name_u], and [name_m]Pip[/name_m] is way too cutesy for me.
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m] - not my favorite, but ok. has nn options of [name_u]Luca[/name_u]/[name_m]Luke[/name_m].
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] - nice.
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] - nice.
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] - I love [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], don’t love [name_m]Tom[/name_m] though :confused:
[name_m]Grant[/name_m] - handsome.
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] - like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] a lot.

Whether you plan to use a nickname or not, and whether you like the nicknames for each, would be a deciding factor for me. With no nicknames, I like [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Grant[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], and [name_m]Nolan[/name_m]. However, with a nickname I would choose [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] over [name_m]Tom[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] because it sounds smart and is not too common, while still being easily recognizable. Also like [name_m]Grant[/name_m].

[name_m]Grant[/name_m] stands out on this list for me. [name_m]Grant[/name_m] doesn’t lend itself to too many nicknames, however. Also like [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m].

[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is my favorite on your list! It is a family name for me, so maybe that’s why.

my favorite is [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. I like that it is less popular than the rest, but not unheard of. Plus I picture [name_m]Simon[/name_m], smart, outgoing, and caring.

I think they’re all great names, so I can see why you’re having trouble! I like [name_m]Grant[/name_m] the most.

I love your style and actually have several of your picks in my top 20. They are all great so you can’t go wrong, however this is what I would pick. . .

1. [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] - I think I’m biased, as “[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]” is pretty much a perfect combo in my mind and this is what I’m imagining for your last name. [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] has a spark of uniqueness, while being recognized. [name_u]Noel[/name_u] makes a great nn, if you choose to have one.
  2. [name_m]Simon[/name_m] - I love love love this name. I think it’s underused and actually smile at it’s rising popularity (rising recognition maybe?)
  3. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] - This is a name I usually appreciate more in the middle, but can appreciate it as a first. I really hate [name_m]Tom[/name_m], so that would be a reason not to use it for me.
  4. [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] - Good, simple and strong name, though obviously quite popular. Prefer this over [name_m]Luke[/name_m] by a mile.
  5. [name_m]Charles[/name_m] - Simple and classic and offers a great nn for childhood. Nothing wrong with it at all, just not my cup of tea.
  6. [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] - I really dislike this name, but in theory there is nothing wrong with it. It’s classic, but I find it boring and plain compared to other classics. I also think [name_u]Phil[/name_u] is quite harsh and not cute or masculine on anyone.
  7. [name_m]Grant[/name_m] - The only one I really don’t like. It makes me picture a chubby little boy who can’t keep up in gym class because he keeps dropping his glasses. Think “Piggy” in The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Flies.

Here’s my favourites in order:

1.[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
2.[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
3.[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
4.[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
5.[name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
6.[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
7.[name_m]Grant[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] the most. It’s handsome, smart sophisticated, works well on a child (I’ve known one :slight_smile: ) and an adult. [name_m]Sim[/name_m], [name_u]Si[/name_u], Simi, [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] are all good nicknames. [name_f]LOVE[/name_f]

My second favorites is [name_m]Charles[/name_m]. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is adorable and [name_m]Charles[/name_m] is lovely for a grown man.

I really like [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] just because it isn’t heard as often as say, [name_m]Charles[/name_m] or [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]. However I like the nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], I think it’s so adorable.

Otherwise I like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_m]Grant[/name_m]!

Great choices! Theres not one name I don’t like.
Heres how I would rate them.

1. [name_m]Grant[/name_m] - This is my #1 because it is short and simple, which I’m sure is good with your hard to pronounce last name. I personally don’t know any little [name_m]Grant[/name_m]'s and would love to meet one! It’s old fashioned feeling classic that seems fresh and “in” without trying too hard.
  2. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] - What an amazing name! No wonder it has always been steadily popular, maintaining itself as a timeless classic. Can’t go wrong with this one.
  3. [name_m]Simon[/name_m] - It has the friendliness of [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], while being a little more unexpected!
  4. [name_m]Charles[/name_m] - My brothers name. I hear it’s getting more popular? I still love it though and it’s a great classic.
  5. [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] - This stands out for me as it seems less traditional, and therefore somewhat more interesting. I don’t love it as much just because I can’t see it paired with the other names you like. It’s the odd one out for me.
  6. [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] - Lots of Berries love this name. I agree that it’s got a great sound to it and would love to see it on a young boy- but I love nicknames, even just once in a while and [name_u]Phil[/name_u] does nothing for me.
  7. [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] - This is my least favourite because it is extremely popular, and the many [name_m]Luke[/name_m]'s and [name_u]Luca[/name_u]'s seem to blend in to make it seem like every 5th little boy is a [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]. It may be less popular where you are…? Popularity wouldn’t matter as much if it were ‘[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]’ or ‘[name_m]Charles[/name_m]’, but for me [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] falls a bit flat next to them.
    I would love to see [name_m]Grant[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] as brothers. Or [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m]!

Good luck!

I love [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] the most.

My favourite is [name_m]Charles[/name_m]. It’s a good boys name. Very handsome.

[name_m]Charles[/name_m] is definitely my favourite.

[name_m]Phillip[/name_m] - too dated for me, and [name_u]Phil[/name_u] is just old. [name_m]Pip[/name_m] could work, but not when he gets older
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m] - love this! Great and refreshingly simple.
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] - cool but a little geek-y
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] - [name_f]LOVE[/name_f]! I’d go for this one. Not very commonly used and has a great feel
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] - My #2 Choice here, very handsome and nice simplistic feel
[name_m]Grant[/name_m] - I love this, it is solid and manly
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] - Not a fan of [name_m]Charles[/name_m], but I love [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]!!

So the only one I’d not use is [name_m]Philip[/name_m].
In order, these are my favorites:
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]

OP here. Thanks all!

If we chose [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], we would nickname him PJ.

I’ve always loved [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] the most, but don’t want him to be one of many in his classes.

[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is a little plain for me, now that I’m thinking about it.

[name_m]Charles[/name_m] would be nicknamed [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] for sure!

I see [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] and [name_m]Grant[/name_m] as a little more interesting, and am leaning towards [name_m]Simon[/name_m] too! [name_m]Grant[/name_m] is second.

I love [name_m]Charles[/name_m] & [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]!

I like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_m]Grant[/name_m] the best!