Help me with a boy’s name!

Confirmed that we’re having a baby boy, due in [name_u]February[/name_u].

Right now, our top two names are [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] (“Quin”). The drawback for [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] for my spouse is that there is no “good” nickname, and the drawback for [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] for him is that it sounds a little feminine. I’m not against a “feminine” name for boys, and I don’t particularly care whether there is a nickname.

Other names that we like are:
[name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] (“Finn”) (however, concerned that this doesn’t flow with the last name, Burton)
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] (“Sully”) (same concern as Finnegan)

What are your thoughts? :relaxed:

I see what you mean about [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] not flowing the best with the surname, but I still think they could still work.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] so, I definitely like the short and snappy [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] or the unique and cool [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]. [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] “Quin” doesn’t really sound feminine to me, though I can see where your spouse is coming from. I wouldn’t worry about it, though, honestly. And, if he prefers a nickname, that definitely seems like the best option.

Would you consider using both? [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]? It puts the stronger sounds in front, and you could still pull the nickname “Quin” from the middle spot. Not sure if that appeals. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I still lean towards [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] overall because it’s so cool and unexpected! But you really can’t go wrong with any of these.

1 Like

I really love the short and snappy [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] with your last name. I think of all the amazing options (Quincy , [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] and [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] with all may have the N ending you are trying to avoid with your last name

[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] B- - - n
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] B- - - n
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] B- - - n
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] B- - -n

I do love [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] (Sully) in general and normally would get my vote hands down but if you want to avoid the N I would go with [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] !

I think Finnegan and Sullivan sound absolutely fine with your last name! They’re also my favourite choices, but that’s just personal preference haha.

I absolutely love [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] work just fine with [name_m]Burton[/name_m]. If it was the same “-ton” sound at the end of the first and last then it would be of concern, but [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] and [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] sound softer than [name_m]Burton[/name_m], and to me that makes it fine!

I am not a huge fan of [name_u]Quincy[/name_u], but [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] is nice as well! You could call him “Ez” if you really wanted to, and it’s a pretty unique nickname.

[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] are both stunning!! [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] is soft but sparky and [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] is literary, charming and cool!!

I think I’d go with [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

All nice choices!

Here are my thoughts-

Ezra-I know a young teen named [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]. He’s generally [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], but friends & family very often call him Ez. Problem solved! It’s a neat name. Kind of artsy & outdoorsy & feels strong yet kind. It’s a tad popular really, but not too bad.

[name_u]Quincy[/name_u] ‘Quin’-I like Quin(n) a lot for a boy, even though [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] isn’t quite my favorite. Prefer [name_u]Quinlan[/name_u] or just [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]. I don’t think that [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] or [name_u]Quin[/name_u] are too feminine at all, but the name [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] is really kind of popular for girls. That’d be my only concern. If it were a slightly feminine name that wasn’t used much it’d be fine. But you may not want him sharing the same name w/two girls in his class at school, you know?

[name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] ‘Finn’-I love [name_u]Finn[/name_u] & all [name_u]Finn[/name_u] related things! It’s so fun loving & adventurous but also smart & sleek. I think that [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] [name_m]Burton[/name_m] sounds fine. It’s better that the fn is three syllables as opposed to something like [name_m]Fintan[/name_m] [name_m]Burton[/name_m]. You could always just do [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as a full name too if you think that that sounds better.

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] ‘Sully’-Sully is cute & quirky & charming. I don’t love [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] that much, but I can’t pinpoint why. It’s different though.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] my rambling helps. :slight_smile:

Congrats!

nn for [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] - E, Ez, [name_u]Eli[/name_u], [name_f]Era[/name_f]

There is nothing feminine about [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] to me, perhaps Quinton/Quinten or something very unusual like [name_u]Quest[/name_u]

Personally not a fan of anything [name_u]Finn[/name_u]- related as it sounds like a pet name to me (like for a puppy), [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is handsome but I would have to see the middle name to decide if I like the surname paired with it

You seem drawn to surnames, maybe explore those that don’t end in an -n so as to give it better flow with [name_m]Burton[/name_m]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_m]Smith[/name_m]
[name_u]Beckett[/name_u]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_u]Hayes[/name_u]
[name_m]Wells[/name_m]
[name_u]Collins[/name_u]

[name_u]Quincy[/name_u] - not my cup of tea but i like it for you! it’s unisex so maybe he’ll be confused for a girl but i don’t see that as a problem! i also like “feminine” names for boys hahah, also it flows great with your surname

[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] - i love [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]! like others suggested, he can go by Ez which is an amazing nn! another nn could by Ezzy which is also so sweet. in overall, i love this name and it flows great with your surname

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] & [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] - i actually like how these flow with your surname! i don’t see anything wrong with how they go with [name_m]Burton[/name_m]. they are both lovely names and have sweet nicknames! both [name_u]Sully[/name_u] & [name_u]Finn[/name_u] are beautiful

my personal favs are [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] “Ez” and [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u] “Finn”! however, i don’t think you can go wrong with any of these! [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] & [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] are also lovely

i’ll suggest [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] “Finn” in case you’re worried the end in “n” doesn’t go well with your surname (which i don’t think it’s the case tbh)

I know an [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], a couple of his nn are Ez and Ezey

ezra - love love love. ezra could also be paired with a middle for a nickname, or have an independent nickname. some ideas: ez, raz, ara, ej, buddy, sonny, bubba

quincy - lovely and refreshing! i think it has the same soft vibe as ezra, and i don’t think quincy would be mistaken for a girl name, personally. if not quincy, maybe quinton / quentin, quinlan?

finnegan burton sounds amazing! but if not finnegan, phineas or felix?

sullivan burton sounds like some very serious last names, or a law firm, i would definitely tick this one off.

Sullivan / Sully Burton sounds like a fantastic name to me! I don’t mind that they both end in n personally. :relaxed:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_u]Finn[/name_u]!

Something like [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] B-n would be very cute! I think [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] is nice, but [name_u]Elias[/name_u] would also work and could be [name_u]Eli[/name_u] for short.