Help me with the spelling PLEASE!!

Which spelling do you like or not like for a baby girl?

1. Fynnleigh [name]Willow[/name]
  2. [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
  3. [name]Finnley[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
  4. Phinley [name]Willow[/name]
  5. Phinnley [name]Willow[/name]
  6. Fynlee [name]Willow[/name]
  7. Fynleigh [name]Willow[/name]

So many choices, I just can’t decide. Please HELP!

I would definitely go with either [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Finnley[/name]… the others just seem too tryndee for my taste…
[name]Finnley[/name] is my favorite…
[name]Finnley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] is an absolutely beautiful name!!

[name]Finley[/name].

(I’m not a fan of yooneek spellings.)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Finleigh[/name] [name]Willow[/name]

I like the “yooneek” spellings on some names. And I think the “leigh” part makes it seem more feminine.

You have all hit on many of my current spelling concerns. The first is that my husband does not want to spell it with [name]Fin[/name]. He says it reminds him of a fish. He likes [name]Finn[/name], Fyn or Phin. Here is were the problem comes in. I am concerned that if we spell it [name]Fynley[/name] there are too many y’s, and the Phin spelling looks masculine to me. Therefore we are left with changing the ending. You see my problem?? I am leaning toward Fynleigh, but I am afraid it is too busy. I also like [name]Finnley[/name], but am afraid it is too masculine. What do you think?

My honest opinion is that if you don’t like the [name]Fin[/name] beginning, then [name]Finley[/name] probably isn’t the best name for you.

I understand your reasons for changing the spelling, but it honestly looks horribly misspelled to me, and your daughter will spend her life correcting people’s spelling. I can’t imagine any of the yooneek spellings on an adult applying for a job, and I just don’t understand the appeal of this trend. :frowning:

I like the [name]Finley[/name] spelling, but the others are too yooneek for me. (That’s just me, though.)

Good luck!

I have spent my life spelling my name for people, and I survived just fine. I think she will survive as well.

What about Finnleigh [name]Willow[/name]?!?

I also prefer to keep the traditional spelling of a name to cut down on confusion. I’m not as worried about your daughter having to correct people (because she’ll learn to handle it) but more about silly things like the pencils or keychains with names on them will never have her name spelled right. I do understand wanting the name to look feminine, but that’s why I shy away from unisex names–because you can’t tell the gender when written down. That said, I love your [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] combination and think it sounds lovely and spunky and feminine all at once.

1. Fynnleigh [name]Willow[/name] - this looks too complicated to me
  2. [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] - Prefer this - my #1 choice
  3. [name]Finnley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] - I don’t think this necessarily makes it more feminine, but it’s my #2 choice if you don’t like [name]Finley[/name]
  4. Phinley [name]Willow[/name] - I do not like the Ph spellings. Definitely doesn’t look feminine to me
  5. Phinnley [name]Willow[/name] - ditto
  6. Fynlee [name]Willow[/name] - this one is too trendy - adding y’s to names is very common right now. I also think the lee ending makes this particular name a little less classy
  7. Fynleigh [name]Willow[/name] - again adding the y makes it too trendy in my opinion. But I prefer the leigh ending to lee.

My votes: [name]Finley[/name] by a mile then, [name]Finnley[/name] or [name]Finleigh[/name]

I think [name]Jill[/name] brings up an interesting point - if you dislike “fin” then perhaps [name]Finley[/name] isn’t the best choice? I do like the name though.

1. Fynnleigh [name]Willow[/name] - this is too much.
  2. [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] - the classic spelling, arguably the best.
  3. [name]Finnley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] - this is okay.
  4. Phinley [name]Willow[/name] - don’t like.
  5. Phinnley [name]Willow[/name] - don’t like.
  6. Fynlee [name]Willow[/name] - looks somehow imbalanced.
  7. Fynleigh [name]Willow[/name] - don’t like.

The ‘leigh’ spelling is very pretty, but ‘[name]Fin[/name]’ is too short to balance it and when the fin is made longer it just feels like too much. I like the classic spelling the best.

For the first name at least, always go with an easy, non-stupid spelling. That way your daughter won’t have to go through life constantly correcting misspellings or mispronounciations of her name (take it from someone who knows, it’s super irritating). Also, can you really see a Fynleigh on professional stationery?

For the middle name, you can go wacky. Chances are your child’s never gonna use it anyway (God knows I don’t use mine), so you can make it as weird and unusual as you want to.

Personally, I’d go for [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name].

Definitely [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Finnley[/name].

[name]Love[/name] it with [name]Willow[/name] though!!!

[name]Finnley[/name] for sure! good luck!

I think the ‘leigh’ at the end instead of ‘ley’ makes it more feminine, not sure if I have a reason to back that up though. I would go with [name]Finleigh[/name] personally but I have a feeling if the first part reminds you too much of a fish than this isn’t the name for you.

Or maybe you could swap the combo around and it could become [name]Willow[/name] [name]Finleigh[/name]/[name]Finley[/name]? [name]Just[/name] an idea.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Oh, goodness, please don’t use that first one! I’d use [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] - the less unnecessary letters the better in my opinion. And, I’m sorry, but I honestly don’t think -leigh makes a name more feminine, but that is just my opinion. [name]Finley[/name] is a unisex name as it is; [name]Findlay[/name] is the masculine spelling. You are good with [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] if you choose to go with this name.

If the first part of the name - [name]Fin[/name] - reminds you of a fish, then maybe you should reconsider. Another Scottish unisex name that has a more feminine feel is [name]Paisley[/name]. Maybe [name]Paisley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] would appeal to you?

Others I can think of are:

[name]Ainsley[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Haley[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Rory[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name] [name]Willow[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name]!

I was wondering why you left out [name]Finleigh[/name]! I like it best. Second would be [name]Finley[/name] but I think it is a littel masculine.

In regards to the fish conotation. It isn’t that we don’t like the sound of the nn fin, it’s just that if she decides to ever shorten her name and use just the nn we wanted to give her another option other than [name]Fin[/name]. When “[name]Fin[/name]” is alone without the ending then it is too simple. We wanted to lengthen the first part of the name to give her options if she decides to shorten it. Here are my thoughts on the spelling choices. Let me know what you think.

Fynnley= does this have too many y’s?
[name]Finley[/name]=Concerned about shortening to [name]Fin[/name], I like the sound of [name]Fin[/name], but not the spelling.
Phinley=is the Ph too masculine?
[name]Finnley[/name]=My current front runner.
Fynleigh=[name]May[/name] be too confusing?
Fynlee=is this too cutesy?
[name]Fynlie[/name]=too cutesy?

[name]Finley[/name].

Please, just [name]Finley[/name]. It’s a lovely enough name that does not need a crazy spelling!

[name]Finley[/name] - 100%

The other spellings make my brain hurt…