Help name for a mixed raced baby...

Please people help us out!

We just got married and want to try for a baby next year. I know it is very soon but we started talking baby names already. My husband has a daughter named [name_f]Julia[/name_f] from his first marriage. This is gonna be my first baby and we are struggling what kind of direction we should go with baby names.

He is dutch and i’m adopted but original from [name_f]Africa[/name_f]. Because we will get a mixed raced baby I don’t want too use dutch baby names or baby names what are more for white baby’s. Names Like [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_m]Jake[/name_m], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], hannah… But I also don’t want to give my baby a typical African American name like [name_f]Tanisha[/name_f], [name_f]Latoya[/name_f], [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]…

The meaning or history of the name would be important too. The baby will grow up in the high society and our environment really cares about the meaning and history of the baby names. (I do not really care, but I don’t want my baby to be the only one with a new fashion name with out a meaning)

I was looking for nice African names you could also use in Europe with out giving the vibe of my mom is African. I could only find the Names [name_f]Selah[/name_f] and [name_f]Ama[/name_f] I really liked it but im asking you for help.

What direction would you go for baby names in my case and where you can find more African names with pronunciation… Or if anyone has an idea??? [name_m]Pleas[/name_m] help us out… It would be nice if the names goes with [name_f]Julia[/name_f].

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], @lena86. Unfortunately, I’m far more well-versed in Dutch names than in African ones, but I’m happy to try and help.
It would make things easier if you specified where in the vast continent of [name_f]Africa[/name_f] you were looking for names from.

[name_f]Amara[/name_f] - “elegance, grace”
[name_f]Asha[/name_f] - “life”
[name_f]Charlize[/name_f]
[name_f]Nia[/name_f] - “purpose”
Thema - “queen”
[name_u]Zola[/name_u] - “quiet, tranquil”
[name_u]Zuri[/name_u] - “beautiful”

You could stick with a classic sort of name like [name_f]Julia[/name_f] or go biblical. Some possibilities:

[name_f]Anaya[/name_f]
[name_f]Dori[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (or variant)
[name_f]Kali[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] (or variant)
[name_f]Letice[/name_f]/[name_f]Leticia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucretia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (or variant)
[name_f]Marjani[/name_f]
[name_f]Naima[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]

[name_m]Cato[/name_m]/[name_u]Kato[/name_u]
[name_m]Eitan[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
Kadri
[name_m]Kwame[/name_m]
Mosi

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t be ignorant

My first thought was [name_f]Behati[/name_f]. I agree with @bibliophile it’ll be easier if you can specify where in [name_f]Africa[/name_f]…

Or you can just use something international enough (this was my plan when I was in an interracial relationship with my ex).
[name_f]Candice[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaya[/name_f]

I just used the Nameberry Search tool and looked up African names - here’s what I found: https://nameberry.com/search/?gender=&starts_with=&ends_with=&contains=&syllables=&language_id=67&derivation=&search=find+names

With [name_f]Julia[/name_f] in mind, I thought [name_f]Aisha[/name_f], [name_f]Amara[/name_f], [name_f]Aziza[/name_f], [name_m]Ebo[/name_m] (meaning “born on a [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f]” - I’ve always liked the “day” names), [name_m]Kofi[/name_m], [name_f]Marjani[/name_f], [name_f]Neema[/name_f], [name_u]Taye[/name_u], [name_f]Zeila[/name_f], [name_f]Zora[/name_f], or [name_u]Zuri[/name_u] would work well, but of course I didn’t narrow the search down to any one region of [name_f]Africa[/name_f], so these may not be what you’re looking for.

Also, [name_f]Sanaa[/name_f] might be a really good fit for your Dutch/African heritage - it’s listed as being Swahili for “brilliance” but it feels similar to the Dutch name [name_f]Sanne[/name_f].

Another name resource is Behind the Name. They have listings by origin: Browse Names - Behind the Name

Ama and Selah are very pretty, with just a little exoticness

Adissa- african, lucid one
[name_f]Angela[/name_f]- greek, messenger
Desta- african, pleasure
Karina- latin, love
Kendi- african, loved one (boy or girl)
Lindiana or Lindia- swahili, defender
Makena- african, delighted
[name_f]Rachelle[/name_f]- french, lamb
Sansa- sanskrit, charm
Shanee- swahili, wonderful (boy or girl)
[name_f]Sarita[/name_f]- hebrew, princess
[name_f]Valencia[/name_f]- latin, brave

[name_m]Antoni[/name_m]- latin, priceless
Jerreck or [name_m]Jerick[/name_m]- english, gifted ruler
Kellen or Kellan- celtic, powerful
[name_u]Kyle[/name_u]- gaelic, narrow strait
[name_m]Tevin[/name_m]- irish, hillside
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]- old english, wood clearing

I was soo hoping for a mixed race Madelief. Knowing where you live would help in advising a name.

I love [name_f]Amara[/name_f] and was going to suggest that too!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Izara[/name_f]? Its a beautiful African name and it means “section of tree” according to nameberry. The meaning could specifically mean a new branch on your family tree.

Or maybe…

[name_f]Nia[/name_f]- means luste, brilliance. Sounds close to popular [name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Zaria[/name_f]- rose, capital or Nigeria
[name_f]Marini[/name_f]- healthy, pretty
[name_f]Neema[/name_f]- born during good times
[name_f]Sena[/name_f]- a multicultural name with a few possible meanings- this world’s beauty or grace; army; to praise; bringing heaven to earth

[name_m]Just[/name_m] use what you love.

Thank you all! I read some very interesting names what I could putt on my name list. My background is [name_u]West[/name_u] [name_f]Africa[/name_f], but im not gonna pin point on one erea… I felt in love with some Arabic names what has beautiful meanings as well! And I’m thinking too mix it up with an biblical middle name.

[name_f]Zaria[/name_f] / Zahia, Very cute!

Bathi, Sounds really cool and unique! I hope it won’t become a top 1000 name soon because of the [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Model.

[name_f]Charlize[/name_f], [name_u]Love[/name_u] the name only needs a test it! [name_f]Charlize[/name_f] [name_m]Theron[/name_m] white actress… I know one black girl called [name_u]Adel[/name_u] and people are calling her the black [name_u]Adel[/name_u] who can’t sing… I do not want that for my baby!.

[name_u]Zuri[/name_u], [name_u]Love[/name_u] the name but in Dutch it rhymes with some nasty things…

[name_f]Zara[/name_f] [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_u]Love[/name_u] the Shakespearean name, But [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] was a tragic character in that story.

[name_m]Kwame[/name_m], [name_m]Just[/name_m] like that name!

@Elenath: I love the name Madelief, It reminds me of an old tv show. I don’t think it will fit my baby, but I will try too sell it too my sister in law. :slight_smile:

Hmm… darn. Oh well.

But do you live in the Netherlands? I so… I don’t think I’d go for a name that’s too out there. Make it easy to pronounce. [name_f]Zara[/name_f] for instance is great. It fits a child of any colour as proven by [name_f]Zara[/name_f] [name_f]Jolie[/name_f]-[name_m]Pitt[/name_m] and [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]'s daughter [name_f]Zara[/name_f]. It’s easy to pronounce in just about any language (good for older Dutch people), it’s not that common but still familiar enough.

The [name_f]Jolie[/name_f]-[name_m]Pitt[/name_m] child is called [name_f]Zahara[/name_f] (not [name_f]Zara[/name_f]), and I love that for a girl. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Zahara[/name_f]?

I also really like [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] (on the topic of [name_f]Jolie[/name_f]-[name_m]Pitt[/name_m] names…) and think a child of any race could wear it well.

I knew an [name_f]Ama[/name_f] in highschool! She lived in the U.S. but was born in [name_f]Africa[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful name, I like [name_f]Ama[/name_f] a lot! I also really like:

[name_f]Zella[/name_f]
[name_u]Zola[/name_u]
[name_u]Zuri[/name_u]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Nia[/name_f]

[name_f]Sanaa[/name_f]/[name_f]Sanne[/name_f]: I’m not sure how to pronounce this one, but nameberry says it’s an African name that’s very similar to a Dutch name, so a version of this might be perfect! Or maybe it’s too popular in the Netherlands? Sanaa - Baby Name Meaning, Origin, and Popularity | Nameberry

[name_f]Samara[/name_f]: This one is Hebrew, but I think it’s gorgeous and sounds multicultural

I like the suggestion of [name_f]Amara[/name_f] a lot!

Other options: (these are a mix of Dutch and African heritage that I think sound neutral)

Girls:
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Nya[/name_f]
[name_f]Alina[/name_f]
[name_f]Alida[/name_f]

Boys
[name_m]Fynn[/name_m] (spelled this way, it is after the river in Ghana)
[name_m]Aren[/name_m]
[name_m]Markus[/name_m]
[name_m]Izaac[/name_m]

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right.

[name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f] (ah-lee-yah) or [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] (A-lee-cia)