Help - name for Isla's sister

[name]Hi[/name] Berries -

I am about a month out from delivering my second little girl and we are stumped when it comes to her name…

Our daughter’s name is [name]Isla[/name] [name]Geraldine[/name] ([name]Isla[/name] we loved and [name]Geraldine[/name] is my husband’s mothers name). Our top choice is [name]Wylie[/name] [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Wylie[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. [name]Wylie[/name] after my paternal grandfather and [name]Marie[/name] as a nod to my mother (it is her middle name). My concern is that it might be too unusual for a girl…we have gotten TONS of negative feedback including comments like “[name]Wylie[/name] - as in [name]Wylie[/name] Coyote?” or “isn’t that a boy’s name”.

Any comments or suggestions would be great! To give you an idea for suggestions - other names we love but can’t use are [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Harper[/name].

Thanks!

I think [name]Wylie[/name] could be cute on a little girl (although, some might mistake it as [name]Riley[/name] with a speech impediment…) and with names like [name]Miley[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], as the big trend, she certainly would not feel that out of place. My personal concern would be that [name]Wylie[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are very close in sound- they both basically begin with the long “I” sound in “Eye” and “Why” and that would be too close for me. Also the other concern is that with a sister named [name]Isla[/name], [name]Wylie[/name] feels decidedly male. [name]Isla[/name] is very feminine and delicate, while [name]Wylie[/name] is tomboyish and brings to mind cowboys and old western films. Might you use [name]Wylie[/name] as a nick name? The only thing I can think of is [name]Twyla[/name], but others might have ideas. Or you could use it as a middle name to honor your grandfather. Names you might like, that are spunky like [name]Harper[/name]/[name]Finley[/name] but not overly feminine, like [name]Wylie[/name]:

[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Harlow[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Cassidy[/name]
[name]Blaire[/name]
[name]Fallon[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Keelin[/name]
[name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Mallory[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I agree with pp. I totally get the attraction to [name]Wylie[/name], but I also see several points of concern–I’m not sure how well it ages, it doesn’t feel as substantial as [name]Isla[/name], and it might cause some gender confusion (although I don’t think that is a huge deal.) I like the idea of using it as a nn for something:

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Marie[/name]= [name]Wylie[/name]
[name]Wilma[/name]= [name]Wylie[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name]
[name]Willow[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
Winna [name]Marie[/name]

Or, you could put it in the middle spot and call her [name]Wylie[/name].

Would you consider putting [name]Wylie[/name] in the middle?

[name]Mairead[/name] [name]Wylie[/name]
[name]Mariel[/name] [name]Wylie[/name]
[name]Maribel[/name] [name]Wylie[/name]

With a feminine name like [name]Isla[/name], I personally wouldn’t use [name]Wylie[/name]. But, if you love it, then you should go for it. You might like [name]Willa[/name] or [name]Wynne[/name] as alternatives! As for [name]Marie[/name], [name]Mara[/name], [name]Maris[/name], [name]Marin[/name], [name]Maria[/name], and [name]Amara[/name] are all good options for alternatives. [name]Maris[/name] might be the closest to a unisex - but still definitely female - sound, but I really like [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Mara[/name] together, too! So, what about these?

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Geraldine[/name] and …

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Maris[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Marin[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] - Combines all three!

[name]Wynne[/name] [name]Maria[/name]
[name]Wynne[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Wynne[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name]
[name]Wynne[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Wynne[/name] [name]Rosamund[/name]

[name]Mara[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Mara[/name] [name]Wylie[/name]

[name]Marin[/name] [name]Wylie[/name]
[name]Marin[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Marin[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Marin[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I like [name]Willa[/name], [name]Willow[/name], [name]Willoughby[/name], [name]Maris[/name] and [name]Marin[/name]. :slight_smile:

I would stay far, far away from [name]Wylie[/name]. Besides being slightly ridiculous as a first name for a girl, it basically rhymes with [name]Isla[/name]. That could get confusing. And, like someone else said, it sounds like [name]Riley[/name] with a speech impediment. “Hello, what’s your name?” “[name]Wylie[/name]”. “Oh, hi, [name]Riley[/name]!”

I really like the combo [name]Isla[/name] [name]Geraldine[/name]-- it’s unexpected and lovely. [name]Wylie[/name] sounds opposite in style to [name]Isla[/name], though. Here are some names I think sound good as a sister to [name]Isla[/name] (they might not be your style, though):

[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] (may sound too similar to [name]Isla[/name])
[name]Alice[/name] (ditto)
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name]

Lemons suggestiong for [name]Willa[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is perfect. Then you can still give her the nn [name]Wylie[/name]. [name]Willow[/name] [name]Marie[/name] could work too.

As for [name]Wylie[/name] as a full name I would avoid it. Yes it is a boys name and the name of a cartoon character but it also clashes with the sophisticated [name]Isla[/name] and sounds very childish imo. She will also be in for a life time of being called [name]Rylee[/name]. For me [name]Wylie[/name]=[name]Rylee[/name] for a child who cant say their Rs properly.

[name]Isla[/name] is feminine and daintly, with a touch of whimsy. To compliment her name I would go with something like:
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
Byrony
[name]Ada[/name]
Syvlie

Thank you everyone for all your help! You all voiced my silent concern - the rhyming issue (I was worried I would constantly be saying Isly and [name]Wylie[/name] or [name]Isla[/name] and Wyla) and the distinctly different sensibilities of both names.

And we just [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Marin[/name] - so I think we might name our little girl [name]Marin[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (my name is [name]Liz[/name]) which we think is beautiful and sounds perfect with [name]Isla[/name] [name]Geraldine[/name].

Thanks again!

[name]Marin[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is beautiful! [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Marin[/name] sound like the cutest sisters ever. :slight_smile:

I like [name]Wylie[/name]! Have you thought about [name]Rylie[/name]? Are you intentionally going with a long I trend?