Help name Margot's sister!

I’m pregnant with my second daughter and I’m having a hard time finding another name we love. My husband and I both loved the name [name_f]Margot[/name_f] so much that naming our first daughter was easy. Now we’re finding ourselves liking different types of names completely. I really like names like [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], and [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] while my husband is taken with more formal and longer names like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I like the name [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f]), but am not sold on it just cause I can’t see us really calling her [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] often and sticking with [name_f]Bea[/name_f] instead. I can see both types/styles of names working with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] in their own way but of course want us both to be happy with the choice. Our last name starts with W so we’d like to avoid names that start with “W” or “R.” Neither of us wants a name that is very popular (definitely not Top Ten), but still is common enough. I would also prefer our daughter to not have too big of a name that we almost always call her by a different nickname, so a name that can work not only for a baby but a grownup is a huge plus. For all these reasons, we loved the name [name_f]Margot[/name_f] cause it really doesn’t have a nickname and just works as is, isn’t too unique but she’ll not be one of many in any of her schools growing up, and we feel it’s classy, beautiful, and spunky at the same time. Can anyone weigh in on some suggestions for baby girl #2? What goes well with [name_f]Margot[/name_f]? Thanks so much!!

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is a great name! I can see how naming a second daughter would be difficult.

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f] really is a good match. You can call her [name_f]Bea[/name_f] most of the time; maybe your husband would call her [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] most of the time
[name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecile[/name_f]/[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

I love the name [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] paired with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] - get your husband on board!

[name_f]Mallory[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] and …

[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f] / [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Sienna[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] and…

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]/[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Connolly[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] &

[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] and…

[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is a fabulous name! :slight_smile: So elegant and simple.

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] are fine, though [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] will always remind me of [name_f]Sally[/name_f] [name_m]Field[/name_m] in that split-personality movie.

I will be honest and say that [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] is a name that sounds pretentious and preppy to me.

And I love your husband’s choice in names but you do not, so here is my idea.

[name_f]Faye[/name_f]. I have for years felt that [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Faye[/name_f] would make a gorgeous set of sisters. They are two names my husband loves and I used to shudder at them, but now adore them.

They are both short and yet feel complete to me. Not easy to nickname. Feminine, strong, refreshing.

My second daughter is named [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. Her older sister is [name_f]Evie[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]. These are the other names we considered. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] it helps.
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_u]Tali[/name_u]

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] or [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

Sorry for repeats!
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Maria[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_u]Arya[/name_u]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]

Based on what you each like, it sounds like you appreciated [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (and your other favorites) for their spunky, nonfeminine style. It sounds like your husband leans more towards vintage classics. Here are some other names I think fit right in between those two styles and don’t have too many nickname options:
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f] (probably a bit too close to [name_f]Margot[/name_f] though)
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (really like this one paired with [name_f]Margot[/name_f])

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is one of my favorite names. I am quite a fan of [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] with [name_f]Margot[/name_f], great pair!! I like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] but I can see your point about the difference in length between the full name and nick name. Still it is a nice pair. A few more random ideas for you…
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Asteria[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]

Anything appeal?

I have a [name_f]Margot[/name_f] too!!

My other top choice was [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], and I think it goes really well with [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

I also adore [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]!

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is nice but maybe too much m with [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. Also [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Helen[/name_f] is a great one, such a classic but underused and spunky on the right girl. Sounds so good with [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

You might think about [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]!

Thanks everyone for all the great name ideas!! We’re still thinking things over but these suggestions have helped a lot. For more clarification on our likes/loves as well as some restrictions, see the following:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] but can’t use for variety of reasons (like close family friend has the name, sibling, etc.):
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]

[name_u]Love[/name_u] but can’t use because it starts with the Letter “M” - we have waaay too many M names already and we’re breaking the trend:
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]

Both like, but don’t love:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - another diminutive of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] like [name_f]Margot[/name_f] so too much?
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

Too popular for our liking:
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]

Starting to love more and more:
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u] (mn for a name - besides [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - maybe?)
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - really liking this as long as we can use nn [name_u]Lou[/name_u] or something vs. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], etc. as there are so many little girls by those names near us.

Any more feedback? Thanks!!

I love [name_f]Margot[/name_f]! It’s one of my favourites. What about:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] (similar to [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] but spunky like [name_f]Margot[/name_f])
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Coraline[/name_f]/[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Talitha[/name_f] (nn. [name_u]Tallie[/name_u])
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] (nn. [name_f]Effie[/name_f])
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

Romily?
I really like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] too.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] & [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. I’m sold! :slight_smile: Seriously please do that.

But just for fun, some more ideas:

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] &

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f] (instead of [name_f]Greta[/name_f])
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], I knew one once who went by Loi prn like low-ee (not sure if she ever spelled it though). I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is too much since they’re derived from the same name. PP’s idea of [name_f]Greer[/name_f] is a good idea though!