Help naming sister to Maria

Our first daughter is [name]Maria[/name]. We’re expecting a second girl in a few weeks and are starting to panic because we can’t think of a name. Some considerations:

1. Our tastes generally run to the very popular [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Emily[/name]/[name]Olivia[/name]/[name]Ava[/name]/[name]Emma[/name] type names, but we do not want to choose anything in the top 20 or so if we can help it (and certainly nothing in the top 5).

2. We don’t want the two names to sound too similar, which I’m thinking leaves out most of the -ia names. (Also, we are using a family surname as the middle name for both girls, so they will both have the same middle and last names; I’m thinking that makes it more important that their first names be pretty different.)

If not for this similarity concern, we would choose [name]Julia[/name] (my favorite name); unfortunately, we’re not crazy about [name]Julie[/name]/[name]Julianne[/name]/[name]Juliet[/name].

1. We don’t want to use any name where she would likely go primarily by a nickname.

2. The middle and last names will be on the plain side, so a first name that gives her name some “prettiness” would be nice (which is maybe why I like the -ia names).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, I love [name]Julia[/name]! I think [name]Maria[/name] and [name]Julia[/name] are great together. The endings are similar, but I don’t think it’s as bad as something like [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Annabelle[/name] would be, or [name]Ariana[/name] and [name]Liliana[/name], or anything.

I’ve only met two families who have a [name]Maria[/name]–one had a sister named [name]Peyton[/name], and the other had a baby sister named [name]Ella[/name] [name]Faith[/name]. I think [name]Maria[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] are really cute together, and [name]Ella[/name] is oh-so-girly. :slight_smile:

What about [name]Sophie[/name]? It’s undeniably girly, but less common than [name]Sophia[/name], and I think [name]Maria[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] are really cute together.

Other ideas:

[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Arielle[/name]/[name]Ariella[/name]/[name]Ariana[/name]/[name]Arianne[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Emilia[/name]/[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name]/[name]Tess[/name]/[name]Teresa[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Norah[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Clara[/name]/[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Zara[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] and [name]Lisette[/name]

Good luck! I hope this helps!

I think [name]Maria[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] would make a beautiful, classic sibset!

(I also agree with the pp…Maria and Julia go very nicely together, and are not too “matchy.”)

Thanks so much for your input!