Help needed for nn and prn for 1 year old!

My daughter [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] is now over a year old and there is still no consensus on how to actually say her name. Her dad is Israelie and pronounces it ah ree [name_f]Elle[/name_f]… but no-one here can get the right pronunciation… with a soft a… including me. People tend to say either arry elle or R E L… or swap between because its tricky to say the right Hebrew pronunciation. It’s driving me mad…

What to do?

I’m thinking just have a nickname instead… but what? I’m not a fan of [name_f]Elle[/name_f], elli or [name_f]Ella[/name_f]! And [name_u]Ari[/name_u] has the same pronounciation issues!

How do YOU pronounce [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] and what great nickname do you suggest? Others we toy with are: yelli… ray… rielle… riya… but they same a little unconnected. What do you think?

Thank you x

2 Likes

Hmm. I think I pronounce it like your husband, but with an American accent.

If you want to go by a nickname, [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Ella[/name_f] seem the easiest. She could also go by her middle name!

Were you and your SO in agreement about the pronunciation beforehand? It’s definitely tricky if you can’t say her name with the preferred pronunciation. She (and you, for the time being) will probably continue to have to correct people on pronunciation.

1 Like

I’d say [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] like your husband, ah-ree-elle.
I think [name_f]Riya[/name_f] or [name_f]Ria[/name_f] are a good idea!

ah-ree-ELL is such a beautiful pronunciation! But I see how it might be a little difficult. However, I would stick with it and not worry about it if people all pronounce it a little differently, even yourself. She will know herself, and as long as she knows when she’s being called on, a slight pronunciation error is not a big deal. When she’s older, she can correct people if she likes, or just roll with it. Coming from someone whose name gets mispronounced quite frequently, it’s not that hard to gently correct the person – “You know, actually, it’s _______.” Most people will figure it out and get used to it after a while. And I say all this to be encouraging. :slight_smile:

I think Ri/Ree could be a cute nn. That’s the only one that comes to mind besides those you’ve already listed.

2 Likes

Ah-re-elle

Aria is a nice nickname

I’m in the southern US and would definitely pronounce this the way you don’t want with the hard [name_f]Air[/name_f]-e-ul or maybe [name_f]Air[/name_f]-e-elle. Sorry it’s just the default pronunciation here.

For loosely associated nicknames what about…
Rielle - just cut off the troublesome A sound!
[name_f]Ria[/name_f] - sort of a backwards [name_u]Ari[/name_u] but with the right “a” sound
[name_f]Leah[/name_f] - that would get a soft a for sure
[name_f]Arlee[/name_f] - not sure this is helpful
Larielle - This might help get the right sound??

What about [name_u]Ari[/name_u]? I had a friend named [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] growing up and we exclusively called her [name_u]Ari[/name_u] and I think it’s super stinking cute. Otherwise, I think that [name_f]Aria[/name_f] and [name_f]Ria[/name_f] are also great options!

1 Like

I also just thought about this is it a big deal that there a multiple pronunciations? It might actually be nice for her if she feels like there isn’t a “right” one. It’s a beautiful name any way it’s pronounced. And maybe she will develop a preference for a certain one when she is older.

I also do love your other nickname ideas. I don’t think a nickname needs to be strongly connected, just something that gives you a good feeling. :smiley:

2 Likes

So ah-ree-ELLE and r-e-L sound exactly the same to me and is how I pronounce the name. I guess I’m confused about the difference. But I second the suggestion of [name_f]Ria[/name_f] for a nickname! I don’t think there’s a way for difference accents to change that up.

3 Likes

I say ar-ee-ELLE with the pronounciation on the elle. I know two Arielles and they both pronounce it that way. I think it’s straight foreward and easy to get used to.

1 Like

I pronounce it ah-ree-[name_f]Elle[/name_f] and i think [name_f]Riya[/name_f] would be such a cute nn.

I would pronounce it [name_f]Air[/name_f]-E-[name_f]Elle[/name_f] (I’m in the western United States).
I wonder if using the nickname “[name_m]Ah[/name_m]-ree” would work if you spelled it “[name_u]Arie[/name_u]” instead of “[name_u]Ari[/name_u].” Or even “Aree.”

Hi there.

I think that the way your husband says it, & R E L are basically the same. It just depends on your accent. [name_f]Air[/name_f]-ee-elle seems completely different. In The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid, everyone calls the mermaid [name_f]Aire[/name_f]-ee-elle, except the crab w/the Jamaican accent calls her [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-ree-elle. And it doesn’t seem awkward in that context. I know it’s a Disney movie, & not your child, but you get the idea! So, long story short, I’d say you keep saying R E L, & introduce her that way. But if you’re really set on a nn, maybe [name_u]Allie[/name_u]?

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

R E L
I love this name soo much.
And I love the nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u]
:heart:

1 Like

I pronounce it the same as her father Does
I find that others around me pronounce it the ways you mentioned…
Perhaps [name_f]Ally[/name_f]?

This is my nieces name :heart_eyes:

We pronounce it like air-ee-elle. We try not to correct people when they say it like Ariel… air-ee-uhl or are-ee-uhl… If that makes sense? When people ask, we tell them, but otherwise we let it go. However, relatives still mispronounce it and she’s 6…

I remember when she was in the womb, we said we would give her the nn Aria, like are-ee-uh, but that never stuck. I’m glad it didn’t!! Her nn is Ari, like air-ee. It suits her!!

We don’t mind the mispronunciation, even within our own family. Mostly because the people who’re saying it wrong are older and forgetful, or generally less aware of their surroundings (we have a cousin who continuously spells a different child’s name wrong, despite seeing it spelled correctly everywhere, so we’re unsurprised she mispronounces Arielle)

Edit: I actually really like the nn A. My friend dated a guy named Aaron and called him A, I thought it was kinda nice. Out of your suggestions, I like Ray the most. Other possibilities: Ella, Ri (like ree), or Lea (like lee-uh)

1 Like

I pronounce it ah-ree-elle! Is that right? Maybe it’s the accents influencing the pronunciation where you live as well!

Maybe you can call her by her middle name?