Help Needed In deciding The Names of Three Bullies

I’ve got a story I’ve been kicking around for the past couple weeks, and I’ve finally decided to run with it. It follows the lives of a group of five kids, aged between 12-14, and all the hijinks and adventures they get into during their summer break from school. A huge part of their story will be them contending with a trio of bullies who all have it out for each of them, one way or another. I need help in deciding the surname of the ringleader bully, who I’ve named [name_m]Raymond[/name_m], nicknamed “Ray”, and first and last names for the two other bullies. To give a general vibe for what I’m aiming for, I’ll list the preexisting characters’ names and a mini bio. Additionally, I envision this story taking place in rural southern [name_f]America[/name_f], if that helps at all.

1. [name_m]Kipling[/name_m] “Kip” Koenig: a short, lanky, quiet 12-year-old boy who’s recently moved into a new town with his mother and stepdad; he’ll be spending his summer months with them and will return to his father’s residence after break. He enjoys solitude, reading, collecting dead insects, and becomes targeted by the bullies for his unintimidating stature and baby-faced looks. He also speaks with a stutter, adding to the bullies’ mockery. He’s “cousins” with [name_f]Tennille[/name_f], his stepdad’s niece. They’ve a big sister, little brother-like relationship. [name_m]Kip[/name_m] also maintains a close connection with [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], whom he’s developed feelings for during their time together.

2. [name_f]Tennille[/name_f] O’Tierney: a 14-year-old girl who is Kip’s older “cousin” and initially isn’t too fond of him, finding him to be something of a nuisance by taking up her time when her uncle insists they spend time together and bond, much to her chagrin. But they eventually find common ground and accept each other as family. She’s best described as spunky, tomboyish, snide, independent, and somewhat impatient with other’s nonsense, wanting to be as time-efficient and productive as possible. She’s semi-athletic and isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty, endearing her to [name_m]Byron[/name_m] McCutcheon. Speaking of, [name_f]Tennille[/name_f] eventually develops a crush on [name_m]Byron[/name_m], despite initially disliking him.

3. [name_m]Byron[/name_m] McCutcheon: a 14-year-old boy who meets [name_m]Kip[/name_m] while strolling through their neighborhood and enlisting him in his shenanigans. Though [name_m]Kip[/name_m] is the protagonist, it’s honestly [name_m]Byron[/name_m] who’s responsible for pushing much of the plot along, as his sensory-seeking and fun-loving personality frequently leads him into trouble. He’s a rough-and-tumble country boy at heart, his southerness poking through with his heavy accent and unique lingo. He’s the son of a farmer and is no stranger to getting his hands dirty nor hard labor. He’s classmates with the bullies and doesn’t have a good relationship with them, often protecting [name_m]Kip[/name_m] and [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] from the bullies’ torment. They always respond with, “Your boyfriend can’t save you forever,” whenever [name_m]Byron[/name_m] tells them to get lost. He knew [name_f]Tennille[/name_f] before [name_m]Kip[/name_m] was even in the picture, but after they began spending more time together due to their friend group forming, he developed a strong crush on her.

4. [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] [name_m]Fauntleroy[/name_m]: a meek, fragile, anxious 12-year-old boy who is closest friends with [name_m]Kip[/name_m] due to their similar personalities. He’s been a target for the bullies for a long time due to him being easily frightened and his desire to avoid conflict. The bullies often call him “four-eyes” for wearing glasses or “gay” for having strawberry blonde hair that appears almost pink. After he and [name_m]Kip[/name_m] become friends, the bullies often refer to them as “boyfriends” due to their closeness, although they never engage in any romantic activity during the course of the story. He has a crush on [name_f]Tennille[/name_f] for her strong, confident personality and bravery in the face of adversity.

5. [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] Isaacs: a kind, cheery 12-year-old girl who befriends [name_m]Kip[/name_m] after meeting him during a neighborhood barbeque a couple weeks after [name_m]Kip[/name_m] settles into his temporary home. They often cross paths from that point onwards due to Kip’s stepdad and her uncle, whom she lives with, being close friends. [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] is deaf, and that has isolated her from her peers to quite an extent, as she has no friends prior to the beginning of the story. Despite being lonely, she puts up a happy front and is always excited at the prospect of making a friend, and she finds that in her friendship with [name_m]Kip[/name_m], [name_m]Clyde[/name_m], [name_m]Byron[/name_m] and [name_f]Tennille[/name_f]. Given that most people don’t know sign language, she often uses a whiteboard and a series of multicolored pens to communicate with others through the written word. She’s very appreciative when [name_m]Kip[/name_m] takes a special interest in learning sign language to better communicate with her, and he’s her closest friend aside from [name_f]Tennille[/name_f]. One could even say she’s got the hots for [name_m]Kip[/name_m], but who knows?

Alright, with the protagonists out of the way, let’s review the three bullies:

1. [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] “Ray” (insert surname): A tall, cocky, condescending 15-year-old boy who truly enjoys intimidating and tormenting others, a habit that manifested itself at a young age when he began torturing small animals such as neighborhood pets and random critters that were unlucky enough to cross his path. His violent urges arise from his crappy home life, where his intimidating and domineering father verbally and emotionally abuses his family, leading [name_m]Ray[/name_m] to take his frustration out on those smaller and weaker than him. He particularly hates [name_m]Byron[/name_m], as he seems to have everything he doesn’t, most notably a happy family and financial success.

2. Unnamed: A tall, strong, physically imposing 16-year-old who was held back a year in school due to his low intelligence and subsequent poor grades. He’s an athlete and plays for his school’s sports team, landing him a sort of celebrity status at school with a mixed reputation as an athletically gifted, if very unapproachable guy. He’s responsible for most of the homophobic language thrown round by the bullies, declaring any guy he sees as not being manly enough as being gay or effeminate, though usually both. Because of his biases, he has the most fun tormenting [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] and always pushes to see if he can get the boy to scream of cry. As far as he’s concerned, [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] needs the torture in order to grow thicker skin, as does any guy he and his friends torment.

3. Unnamed: a 15-year-old boy with short dark brown hair falling into his eyes. The least offensive of the trio, though that’s not to excuse his actions. He mostly just goes along with the flow of [name_m]Ray[/name_m] and Bully #2, assisting them in their escapades of destruction wherever they go. He enjoys making his victims feel powerless, but knows when not to cross the line, either because it’ll just get him and his friends into trouble or because he actually finds it to be too morally objectionable for him to do. Because he’s the trio’s closest thing to a moral compass, he’s managed to prevent [name_m]Ray[/name_m] and Bully #2 from committing some pretty vile acts, such as stopping them from breaking Clyde’s fingers by insisting it’ll only come back to bite them in the arse. Of the three, Bully #3 has the highest hope of redeeming himself, although that isn’t saying much, considering his competition.

Alright, if you have any suggestions regarding Bully #2 and Bully #3’s full names and have suggestions for Ray’s surname, please share them! I may need help naming other characters from this story in the future, so if this is a reliable method of receiving feedback, I’ll likely return to it again and again.

Last name ideas for [name_m]Raymond[/name_m]:
Braddach or Braddock
Seppings
[name_m]Heston[/name_m]
[name_m]Stone[/name_m] (Stonehouse, Stones, Gladstone)
Salazar
Scordato
Steffanson
Stagg
Rowlett
[name_m]Garrick[/name_m], Garricks, [name_m]Garrett[/name_m]
[name_m]Byrne[/name_m], [name_m]Burns[/name_m], Burnside, [name_m]Burnell[/name_m], Burnley, Burnham
Batch
[name_f]Larkin[/name_f]
Fitch (maybe double barreled Fitch [name_m]Parker[/name_m] or Fitch Mason)

Unnamed 16 yr old:
Firsts
[name_m]Austin[/name_m]
[name_m]Dayton[/name_m]
[name_m]Shane[/name_m]
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]
[name_m]Daxon[/name_m]
[name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_m]Colton[/name_m], [name_m]Cole[/name_m]

Lasts
[name_m]Norwood[/name_m]
[name_m]Barton[/name_m]
[name_m]Alan[/name_m]
Murley
[name_m]Bartlett[/name_m]

Unnamed 15 yr old:
Firsts
[name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_m]Marcus[/name_m],
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
Alex(ander)
[name_m]Jake[/name_m]

Lasts
[name_m]Durrell[/name_m]
Dobrey
Beamiss

1 Like

[name_m]Raymond[/name_m] “Ray” Stonehouse goes hard, I’m using that! The surnames of Scordato, Steffanson, and Burnham I’ll be keeping for future usage.

I can’t use the names [name_m]Aaron[/name_m], [name_m]Austin[/name_m], [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_m]Cole[/name_m] and [name_m]Shane[/name_m] because I’ve already used them for characters in other stories, but I appreciate the effort! The same applies for [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_m]Marcus[/name_m], [name_m]Declan[/name_m], Alex(ander), and [name_m]Jake[/name_m]. Ill hang on to the surnames Dobrey and Murley, though.

1 Like