Help Needed In Naming An Uncle Character

Okay, so I’ve a character named [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] Isaacs who lives with her paternal uncle because her parents lost custody of her when she was little, and they’re always in-and-out of her life. Her uncle is defined by his quiet, patient, calm, secluded nature, preferring it just be only him and [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], whom he treats as his own daughter. He’s overprotective of her, as he fears her deafness leaves her vulnerable to much of the world’s dangers, so while he’s a far better caretaker than Rhiannon’s parents, his one definitive flaw is that he’s prevented [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] from going out into the world and figuring things out, leaving her lonely and fairly unsocialized. While he wishes he could homeschool [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], he has neither the time nor credentials to do so, thus she attends public school in the 7th grade, yet she cannot connect to her peers due to the barrier in communication.

Regarding his personality, Mr. Isaacs is a genuinely tender soul, always having a warm smile accompanied by encouraging words for [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] whenever she’s having a bad day and needs reassurance. He’s also physically affectionate, but this is reserved only for the privacy of his home as he isn’t terribly comfortable with affection in public, no matter the relationship. He’s also a bit of an intellectual, enjoying hobbies such as reading books and studying astronomy. He’s tried to interest [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] in both subjects but has only succeeded in the department of reading.

In terms of appearance, Mr. Isaacs wears a pair of full-framed reading glasses and always wears a thick black robe. His short dark hair is slightly messy and uneven, not prioritizing haircare as much as he should. His cognac-colored eyes are soft and warm, always slightly squinted as though a bright light is eternally shown in his eyes. His default expression is a small smile, reaching from ear-to-ear when he lays eyes on his friends or family.

When I imagine his name, I conjure imagery of gentle, strong, or soothing names, particularly ones fitting for men between the ages of 35 to 40.

With all this taken into consideration, I hope those who read this will have a good idea for potential names for Mr. Isaacs. Thank you for reading!

[name_m]Preston[/name_m]
Edmund/Edmond
[name_m]Galen[/name_m]
[name_m]Kenneth[/name_m]
[name_m]Keith[/name_m]
[name_m]Vernon[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m]
[name_m]Simeon[/name_m]
[name_m]Leland[/name_m]
[name_m]Lowell[/name_m]

1 Like

I’m considering Edmund/Edmond, [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m], [name_m]Leland[/name_m], and [name_m]Lowell[/name_m]!

2 Likes

I’m so glad you liked some! :blush:

1 Like

I also think [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] fits! Though perhaps not so common amongst the generation that would currently be 35-40 (if story is set in the present?)

It’s my generation, some names that were common and seem to fit the bill include:
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]

I also knew a [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] or too, and some real-life gentle sweet guys who’s real names were [name_m]Gareth[/name_m], [name_m]Jared[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Marcus[/name_m], [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] (and would now be 35-40).

And names that I don’t think would be expected for the generation but have that soft feel to me, along with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], are [name_m]Laurence[/name_m], [name_m]James[/name_m], [name_m]Dorian[/name_m]?

1 Like

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is a firm contender! [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], and [name_m]David[/name_m] are all lovely names in their own right, yet they’re just not what I’m looking for- and I’ve already used them all for other characters from other stories, and I wouldn’t want to give two characters the same name unless it was narratively deliberate. I appreciate the help nevertheless! [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] seems a tad too young for a nerdy middle-aged man like Mr. Uncle, as does [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m], and [name_m]Gareth[/name_m] -as great as it is- sounds too similar to the name of another of mine, [name_m]Garrett[/name_m] [name_m]Morrison[/name_m]. The one I like most from your list is [name_m]Dorian[/name_m]! It rhymes with [name_m]Florian[/name_m], which has the type of energy I’m looking for.

[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] came to mind for me as well!

1 Like

[name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] are good!

1 Like