Help needed -- suggestions and comments

This is my first baby - a boy.
The middle name will be [name]Blake[/name] and the last name is [name]McGregor[/name].

My number one choice was [name]Avery[/name], until I found out that it is way more common (actually quite popular) for girls. The only Averys I know are old men, but there you go, things change.

So, I have abandonned [name]Avery[/name], and come up with these alternatives, but I’m not sold on any of them yet.
What do you think? And do you have suggestions for some additions?

[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Russell[/name]
[name]Wallace[/name] (nn [name]Wally[/name])
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] (the only one that has any significance - I’ve had a personal tragedy to deal with and re-reading the book A Prayer for [name]Owen[/name] Meany has kept me grounded)

Not a very long list! Thanks!

[name]Don[/name]'t let the fact that names are going to the girls keep you from using a name you love! I think [name]Avery[/name] is MUCH nicer on boys anyway.

[name]Henry[/name]: I really love [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] flows wonderfully.

[name]Daniel[/name]: I like [name]Daniel[/name], too, but it doesn’t stand out very much.

[name]Russell[/name]: It reminds me of brussels sprouts, and seems very dated to me.

[name]Wallace[/name]: I’m all for vintage, ‘old’ sounding names, but this just conjures up an old man for me.

[name]Leo[/name]: I love [name]Leo[/name], too! [name]Leo[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] is really nice.

[name]Owen[/name]: I like [name]Owen[/name], but again, it’s not very distinctive for me.

I love [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]! What about:

[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]

[name]Henry[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - Very nice
[name]Daniel[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name]- nice too, but quite common. It’s a great name, though.
[name]Russell[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name]- great! I love [name]Russell[/name]! Nicknames [name]Russ[/name] and [name]Rusty[/name] are so cute. No one uses [name]Russell[/name] these days, he would stand out (but in a good way!)
[name]Wallace[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name]- I’m not sure the world is ready for [name]Wallace[/name] yet, maybe. [name]Wally[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] reminds me of Leave it to Beaver, very vintage. I think it’s cute.
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - I love [name]Leo[/name] too, but know that it’s getting more and more popular. He’s an up-and-comer
[name]Owen[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name]- I’m sorry to hear about your tragedy. I love names with personal meaning, and I love the name [name]Owen[/name].

I honestly don’t think you can make a bad choice! These are my favorites for you, in order: [name]Russell[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Wallace[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Daniel[/name].

I am so sorry about the hard time you are going through. I agree that [name]Avery[/name] is more of a girl’s name. I read what you said about the name [name]Owen[/name] having special meaning for you–I really like [name]Owen[/name] [name]Blake[/name]!

I think you have a nice list going there; I really like [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Owen[/name]. That said, here are some suggestions if you want new names.

[name]Alan[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Wendell[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]

I agree here, that if the book has such strong significance for you, I personally would go for [name]Owen[/name]! And I read the book, too (a long time ago though), and if I’m remembering correctly [name]Owen[/name] Meany turned out to be quite the badass, right?

Thanks for the comments - I like [name]Russell[/name] quite a bit too, but I am getting mixed reactions. I am worried it is not old enough (like [name]Henry[/name]) to be cool.

I am quite worried that [name]Owen[/name] is really popular. My name is #1 for my birth year and I hated being one of 4 in my elementary school class.

[name]Owen[/name] Meany was a bit of a badass (smartass) but what I like about the character is his unfaltering ability to stay true to himself.

I love [name]Owen[/name]'s meaning to you, too! [name]Owen[/name] hasn’t really increased in popularity for a while (it was #60 in 2005, #58 in 2006, #56 in 2007, and #58 in 2008). I’m curious to see what it was ranked in 2009.

For what it’s worth, even though [name]Owen[/name] is on the popular side, it doesn’t feel trendy to me. I think it’s a really handsome, solid name, and [name]Owen[/name] [name]Blake[/name] sounds great to me.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, in 2009, [name]Owen[/name] appears to be making a big leap in popularity. The only stats I could find were from [name]Alberta[/name], but that’s probably pretty representative of the rest of [name]Canada[/name]. [name]Owen[/name] was #9.
It was #13 in [name]Canada[/name] in 2008.
So it’s up there.

Hmm, well that is a bummer. You should find out what percentage of babies were named [name]Owen[/name], sometimes a number looks really high, but it’s not given to all that many babies. [name]Owen[/name] does seem to be getting more attention though. My brother and sister in law like trendy names, and they were seriously considering [name]Owen[/name]. No matter how popular it is, [name]Owen[/name] is a really nice name. Plus, meaning trumps any popularity list.

[name]Henry[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - I adore [name]Henry[/name]. It’s pretty popular, and we’ll likely be adding to that since it’s on the top of our list :slight_smile:
[name]Daniel[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - This is fine, but not my favorite.
[name]Russell[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - I quite like [name]Russell[/name]
[name]Wallace[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - I’m liking [name]Wally[/name]'s vintage vibe, but [name]Wallace[/name] might not be ready for it’s comeback. [name]How[/name] about [name]Walter[/name]?
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - I really like [name]Leo[/name]. Very dashing.
[name]Owen[/name] [name]Blake[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] - My favorite from your list. It sounds sweet yet cool, and the whole name sounds great together… [name]Owen[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] is such a crush-worthy name to me. Oh, and I love the special meaning for you. It’s definitely my pick :slight_smile:

I really like the name [name]Owen[/name] and the fact that it has meaning to you but aside from its rising popularity, I see one big issue.

To me, [name]Owen[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] is way, way, way too close to [name]Ewan[/name] [name]McGregor[/name]. He’d have to deal with people making the associations a lot (think [name]Star[/name] Wars fans AND Moulin Rouge fans…). It’s not the worst association though. At least he’s talented and totally hot!

Of your other options, I like [name]Henry[/name], [name]Russell[/name], and [name]Leo[/name].

Others you might like:

[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Chad[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Drew[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Evan[/name] (also may be too close to [name]Ewan[/name])
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Jeffrey[/name]
[name]Jeremy[/name]
[name]Jesse[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Max[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]William[/name]

if you are worried about popularity i would not go with henry,owen or leo there I know 2 of each. it seems that everyone i know who is expecting boy are considering those names. [name]Wallace[/name] is very unique not not strange or make up i like it.

I like [name]Avery[/name] [name]Blake[/name] and I don’t think it’s too girly even though girls are using it these days.
[name]Henry[/name] is becoming popular again, though [name]Henry[/name] [name]Blake[/name] is handsome.
[name]Daniel[/name] seems too boring, though I know a number of nice [name]Daniels[/name].
[name]Russell[/name] doesn’t seem to sound right with the rest of your name…can’t quite put my finger on it…
[name]Wallace[/name] seems too dated, but [name]Wally[/name] works well with both [name]Blake[/name] and [name]McGregor[/name].
[name]Leo[/name] is becoming popular as well, but ditto the [name]Henry[/name] comment
[name]Owen[/name] is a great pair with [name]Blake[/name] and flows well with your last name too…who cares if it’s getting more popular!

Some ideas:
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name] (nn [name]Eli[/name])
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Devon[/name] (or [name]Devan[/name], [name]Devin[/name])
[name]Ross[/name]
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Travis[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name] (nn [name]Andy[/name], [name]Drew[/name])
[name]Kian[/name]
[name]Corey[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]

Good luck finding just the right one!

[name]Owen[/name] [name]McGregor[/name] is a beautiful name, the best of the bunch and has extra meaning for you I would go with this one.

Your list of names is great. [name]Love[/name] all of them. But [name]Wally[/name] is not cool right now. I love [name]Wally[/name] though. I had a wonderful cat named [name]Wally[/name], and I had a crush on a cute guy named [name]Wally[/name] when I was a freshman at college.

My faves on your list are [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Daniel[/name]. But [name]Daniel[/name] is extremely popular. [name]Henry[/name] is very popular with the yuppies.