Help! Our first (living) girl!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] got our Panorama results this morning. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] is at low risk for any genetic conditions (praise GOD!) and baby is a GIRL!!! Freaking out here. Our last 4 pregnancies have been boys. No idea what to name a little girl. ”

We had picked [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] for a boy. It seemed appropriate as this pregnancy directly follows a loss at 17 weeks in [name_u]August[/name_u], which was our second 2nd trimester loss. [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] means “near the cross” which is where I’ve spent all of this pregnancy so far, and [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] is after the prophecy of [name_m]Simeon[/name_m], where it was said [name_f]Mary[/name_f]’s heart would be “pierced by a sword.”

Anyone got any girl name suggestions that would have similar meaning? I’ve toyed with the idea of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] but not sure the hubby will acquiesce to either of those. I like Mary Crosby as a double first name with Evangeline as a potential middle. Is that too much?

If it helps, our living boys are [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. Our saints are [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Gianna[/name_f], [name_m]Philip[/name_m] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u], and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Graham[/name_m].

Congratulations! [name_m]How[/name_m] exciting!

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] - that is so cute! :slight_smile: I also love all of your other names - you have a great, meaningful style. With [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] & [name_m]Beckett[/name_m], I like:

[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

Some combos you may like:
[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] [name_f]Olive[/name_f] ([name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Molly[/name_f])
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

Congratulations on your happy news, and my deepest condolences on your previous losses.

I love the thoughtful meaning you are wanting tour daughter’s name to hold, and I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] is lovely.

If your husband isn’t sold on strong and serene [name_f]Mary[/name_f], perhaps a [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-variation…?

[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Marielle[/name_f]
…etc

With your other childrens’ beautiful, classic names, I think any of the following could work…

[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]

PS. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] would be just so strikingly lovely!

Good luck to you in choosing the perfect name for your little one.

Oh mama, my heart goes out to you! I celebrate this little one with you & grieve those you have lost.

I love “[name_m]Crosby[/name_m]” for its meaning and also a nod to the incredible [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] who wrote many hymns including my favorite, “Blessed Assurance”, which seems so fitting in light of your sweet girl and her health!

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] is beautiful. I think it’s a perfect fit for your family. I don’t know if I love it as a double barrel first name. Have you considered a double middle name?
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is beautiful!

If you were considering some other [name_m]Saint[/name_m] names apart from [name_f]Mary[/name_f], here are some that I think work:

[name_u]Clare[/name_u] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (in honor of St. [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m])

Congratulations. Blessings on you & your family.

1 Like

Firstly if you have the ability I would recommend writing into sanctanomia.net. She’s an expert with Catholic which sounds similar to your style.

Secondly I’m not sure how you’d feel about this idea but I think it would be sweet to honour [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. You could use [name_f]Giovanna[/name_f] which is the long form of [name_f]Gianna[/name_f].

Thirdly I’m going to leave [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] out of my suggestions because I’m not sure if you’d want to save it if you have another son.

Suggestions -

[name_f]Joanna[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_f]Charity[/name_f] [name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariella[/name_f] [name_u]Marian[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Gia[/name_f] [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilaria[/name_f] [name_f]Marine[/name_f] [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] [name_f]Maren[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Marine[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f] [name_f]Pilar[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Charity[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]

My first suggestion is Mary Dolores.

Mary Carmel
Mary Belen
Mary Dolores
Mary Lourdes
Bernadette
Celia
Mary Agnes
Mary Angela
Mary Gabrielle
Madeleine
Magdalena

Congratulations!

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is definitely a mouthful, and I think it’s very unlikely she will ever be called anything but [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

Have you considered [name_f]Christiana[/name_f]? It’s such an elegant, vivid name and also ties in the cross-theme. [name_f]Christiana[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is stunning.

Another possibility: [name_f]Emmanuella[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m]. [name_f]Emmanuella[/name_f] = faith, which seems to have gotten you through the ups and downs of getting this baby. “[name_f]Faith[/name_f] near the cross” is a great meaning.

You could maybe try to fit a reference to the cross without using [name_m]Crosby[/name_m], if your husband is against it.

Since St. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] was supposedly the one that found the true cross, what about [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f]? [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] sounds lovely! ([name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] just doesn’t sound as good [name_f]IMO[/name_f]). Also, all the [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] variants are in the [name_f]Helen[/name_f] family, so something like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f], and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] are all possibilities.

Also, [name_m]John[/name_m] was the one Apostle to stay at the foot of the cross, so that might be a fitting tribute as well. You could do anything in the [name_m]John[/name_m] family. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Zaneta[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Owenna…the possibilities are endless!
Best of luck to you!

For a double first name…
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Croix[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (pn Croy) and save [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] for a boy
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Marielle[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f].

Congratulations on your rainbow! Your kids have gorgeous names. I’ve just done a bit of reading and out of curiosity, was [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] partly named after St [name_f]Gianna[/name_f], patron saint of mothers, physicians and unborn children?

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is a lovely choice. I don’t love [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_m]Pierce[/name_m]/[name_m]Crosby[/name_m], but they’re nice.

Some more suggestions:
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] “grace”
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Eva[/name_f] “life”
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] “gift of God”
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] “gift of God”
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] “my God has answered”
[name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f] “God is with us”
Raphaella “God has healed”
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] - patron saint of babies
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - of antioch. Patron saint of childbirth and mothers.

My personal favourite for you is [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]. Maybe [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m]. You’ve spent all of this pregnancy so far near the cross and now God has answered. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you like it? :slight_smile:

I second the rec to write to Sancta Nomina blog. However, the author just had a baby so I think she’s on hiatus right now.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] would be wonderful.

I like:

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (or [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f])

But also the suggestions of:

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Dolores[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f]/a (either as first, or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f])

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is such an elegant and striking (and obviously poignant) name.

Congratulations! I love biblical names and names with spiritual meanings, and your children’s names are lovely. [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] is one of my favorites.

I don’t think that [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is too much at all. And if your husband agrees, I say go for it!

Other ideas just in case:
Any form of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] would be meaningful. [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] prayed and prayed and prayed for a child, and God heard her. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] also prayed day and night, and is in the same account as [name_m]Simeon[/name_m]. Both are forms of the same name which means [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. [name_m]Favorite[/name_m] forms other than the originals: [name_f]Annika[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f].

[name_f]Mattea[/name_f] means gift of God. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Mattea[/name_f] is a very sweet combo in my opinion.

[name_f]Magda[/name_f] for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f].

The story of [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], would also make either of those names a lovely namesake. God blessed them after so much loss.

Thank you! Yes, [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] was after St. [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] :blush: I do like the meaning of [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] [name_m]Crosby[/name_m]!

Thanks so much for your help, ladies! After discussing and considering many of your suggestions, we have ultimately decided to go with [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_m]Pierce[/name_m] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. It’s a mouthful but we love the meaning behind it, and even if no one but us calls her [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_m]Pierce[/name_m] that will be just fine. ”

1 Like