Help, please! (Spencer)

Hello!

We cannot decide on a name for our baby boy (due in two months). I’m getting so frustrated!

We thought that we had decided on the name [name]Spencer[/name]. However, I do have some concerns. 1. Celebrity association – if it makes people think of [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Tracy[/name], that’s fine; if they think of [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Pratt[/name], that’s terrible. 2. I’m afraid that [name]Spencer[/name] is becoming more of a girls’ name.

Our daughter’s name is [name]Josephine[/name], and we call her [name]Joey[/name]. I want something with the same vintage feel.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

[name]Hi[/name]!

I have to say that [name]Spencer[/name] doesn’t capture the vintage feel of [name]Josephine[/name] in my opinion. I mean, technically being a surname, it could, but it is a bit of a stretch at this point. The name actually makes me think of my cousin, [name]Spenser[/name], [name]Spenser[/name] [name]Mary[/name] - a girl…

What about these?

[name]Alphonse[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Marshall[/name]
[name]Olivier[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Sebastien[/name]

You could always use [name]Spencer[/name] as a middle name!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Josephine[/name] so much! :slight_smile:

Names that have [name]Josephine[/name]'s classic/vintage feel to me:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]/[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]

Surnames that remind me of [name]Spencer[/name]'s feel:

[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

While I like [name]Spencer[/name] a lot, I can understand your concerns. [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Pratt[/name] was what my DH thought of when I mentioned it to him. Since you already have a daughter with a unisex nickname, I would look for something more masculine. Since you said you like more vintage names, what do you think of:

[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Orson[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Jedidiah[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]

Or a little more classic?

[name]David[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]

Good luck!

I really like the name [name]Spencer[/name] a lot, even though the meanest boy at my elementary school was [name]Spencer[/name] and I think of [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Pratt[/name]. So the fact that I still like [name]Spencer[/name] with those two associations is saying something! I think a lot of people will think of [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Pratt[/name], but then I’m a Hills fan… oh! Also, I think the show is less popular now that [name]Lauren[/name] is gone, so maybe a year or so from now no one will even be thinking of [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Pratt[/name].

[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Spencer[/name] as siblings would never have occurred to me, but I kind of love it. I think [name]Josephine[/name] makes [name]Spencer[/name] feel vintage when otherwise he might seem trendy.

I really like the name [name]Spencer[/name], the two [name]Spencer[/name]'s that I have known have been lovely people and I think it does work with with [name]Josephine[/name] (I adore nn [name]Joey[/name] by the way) but if you’re still considering other names, here are some that I think also work well with [name]Josephine[/name] (sorry for repeats) :
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Damian[/name]

good luck :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], everyone!

Thanks for all the great, supportive advice!

I talked to my husband last night and admitted that I wasn’t really in love with the name anymore…and he said the same thing.

Looks like we’re back to the drawing board!

However, there are several names that have been suggested here that we might consider. We just have very different tastes in boys’ names. It has been interesting. Hopefully we will have a definite name by the time we go to the hospital!

Thanks again!