Help please with name for sister to Eve Josephine!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! We have one almost 2 year old daughter named [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. We call her a mix of [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. Our last name is two syllables and starts with an ‘L’. It’s similar to ‘Later’.

I’d prefer a name that does not have another ‘ie’ nickname, so names like [name_u]Abby[/name_u] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] are out. Here’s our maybe list so far, but we are not in love and very open to new ideas, and we know some of these aren’t great with [name_f]Eve[/name_f] (but not sure how much that matters):

[name_u]Alex[/name_u] (with some long form of it)
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (not sure we like the nicknames though)
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] ([name_f]Bea[/name_f])
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] (Elle) (but does Elle not work with Eve and does it always become Ellie?)
Gabrielle (Elle)

Okay, help!

I like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] best in this case, because you can nickname her [name_f]Olive[/name_f], which I think sounds really cute with [name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Evie[/name_f].

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] have a classic, elegant sound that I think works well for sisters, but some other names I also like with [name_f]Eve[/name_f] are:
[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] (can be shortened to [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f], [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], etc.)
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is beautiful! My favs from your list:

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] is a great fit!

Thank you for the thoughts so far, everyone!

I like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_u]Simone[/name_u], and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Liv[/name_f] from your list. [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] is also cute and could be [name_f]Belle[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Elle[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] but it could become Cici.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f] or [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_u]Julianne[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Meg[/name_f] or [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Theresa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tess[/name_f] (or just [name_f]Tess[/name_f])

[name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is lovely! My favourite on your list is [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], although I feel [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is a little more unexpected, nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f]. More suggestions for a sister…

[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Cerys[/name_f]
[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]

If you want to avoid any possibility of an -ie nickname coming up, I would probably avoid [name_u]Alex[/name_u]- ([name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_u]Lexi[/name_u]), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ([name_f]Lizzie[/name_f]), [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] ([name_f]Livvie[/name_f]), [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] ([name_f]Cece[/name_f]), [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] ([name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]), [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] ([name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]), [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] ([name_u]Gabi[/name_u], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]), and maybe [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], which could be nicknamed [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] but doesn’t seem as obvious unless you go with the [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] spelling.

On the other hand, I don’t think you necessarily need to limit yourself to only one -ie nickname in a sibset. Sure, I would probably avoid [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Livvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Vivi[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]/[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]/[name_f]Effie[/name_f], but [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_u]Lexi[/name_u], etc. aren’t so bad. Plus, most of those names have other non-ie nicknames you could use instead. If you don’t mind if a name has a common -ie nickname as long as you don’t use it yourself, then I like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] best with [name_f]Eve[/name_f], with the nickname [name_f]Lola[/name_f].

If you decide you do want to absolutely avoid a name with an -ie nickname, that just leaves [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], and [name_u]Simone[/name_u]. I guess there is a chance of [name_f]Nolie[/name_f] and [name_f]Clary[/name_f] with [name_f]Nola[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f], but I think those are easier to avoid than some of the others on the list. Of those three, [name_f]Claire[/name_f] seems like a great sister name to [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and you could use one of the longer names on your list as a middle. [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] would be a beautiful combination.

Some other possibilities:

[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]

From your list I really like [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and [name_u]Simone[/name_u].

Suggestions:
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Claire[/name_f] would work really well with [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and it would avoid an -ie nickname. I knew a [name_f]Claire[/name_f] years ago and she just went by [name_f]Claire[/name_f], no nickname. I like pp’s suggestion of [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

Thanks all for the great thoughts!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] as an aside, I’m not worried about names that you could contort into an ‘ie’ nickname - just ones where there’s a very common ‘ie’ nickname.

Any other thoughts from the crew?

[name_f]Belinda[/name_f] ([name_f]Bee[/name_f]), [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] ([name_f]Gwen[/name_f]), [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] ([name_u]Gwyn[/name_u]) are ones I just thought of. I like [name_u]Reese[/name_u] and [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] too, but those I think are too different from [name_f]Eve[/name_f]'s classic feminine spunky beauty.

I love [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]! I think [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] works too.

I love [name_u]Simone[/name_u], especially with [name_f]Eve[/name_f]! Some suggestions:

[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_u]Tracy[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

All beautiful choices, you really can’t go wrong! [name_f]Nola[/name_f] reminded me of [name_f]Norah[/name_f]/[name_f]Nora[/name_f], which I think would pair perfectly with [name_f]Eve[/name_f]!

I love both [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] with [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about…
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

UPDATE: Still struggling. :slight_smile: But looking back at this thread for the great thoughts and ideas, once again.

List remains the same. Spouse wants to add [name_f]Ella[/name_f], but I think it is really bad with an ‘L’ last name. I thought of [name_f]Sabine[/name_f], but spouse thinks it’s too out there. So, still noodling the ones at the top of this thread!