HELP please!

I’m due in [name]December[/name] and am having such a hard time with names. I’ve fallen in and out of love with so many different names. It wouldn’t be so hard, except that my boyfriend doesn’t like any of the names that I choose.

We’re mostly looking for two syllable first names, since our last name is 5 syllables- Marinaccio.

I love [name]Alice[/name], and have come up with so many middle names for it. I like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Allegra[/name].

My boyfriend says “no child of mine will be named [name]Alice[/name]!”. AARgh. I asked hime why he hates [name]Alice[/name] so much, and he says that it makes him think of the TV show The Honeymooners, and some show called [name]Alice[/name] that I’ve never heard of. I told him that when people think of [name]Alice[/name], they’re more likely to think of [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland. He thinks it’s an old lady name, and doesn’t get the fact that it’s come back.

I also love:
[name]Ruby[/name]- boyfriend thinks it’s a dog’s name, since his sister’s dog is [name]Ruby[/name].
[name]Scarlett[/name]- boyfriend says “that’s a b*tch name”. Huh?
[name]Dahlia[/name]- boyfriend says he can’t get the [name]Black[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name] murder out of his head.
[name]Nora[/name]- boyfriend says it sounds like snoring.

The bottom line is that he doesn’t like ANY NAMES that I like. [name]Every[/name] time I suggest a name, he says no, but he won’t suggest any names for himself. I asked him to print out a copy of the social security top 1000 list and circle names that are acceptable to him. He looked at the list and said “there are really no good names on this list”. I just don’t know what to do to get him to cooperate more. Whenever I read about names, he rolls his eyes and asks why I’m obsessing so much. The issue is that the less he cooperates, the more obsessed I become, trying to find a name he’ll agree on.

The only name he really likes is [name]Willow[/name]. What do you think of [name]Willow[/name] [name]Scout[/name] Marinaccio? He can tolerate [name]Athena[/name]. What do you think of [name]Athena[/name] ______ Marinaccio? Which do you prefer- [name]Willow[/name] or [name]Athena[/name]?

I’m seriously considering just ignoring him and naming the baby myself, regardless of how he feels.

HELP!

Any suggestions on names that would fit the last name Marinaccio would be wonderful.

I don’t know how much help I am going to be as almost every girl name I like is at least three syllables. I do have one suggestion, however. My husband and I both really like [name]Clara[/name]. You can pronounce it like claire-uh or clar-uh but I personally like the first pronunciation.

I think it flows very nicely with your last name and it is similar in style to [name]Alice[/name]- that kind of crisp clean feminine sound.

Anyway, sorry I am not much help! I have just mainly been focusing on three syllable names because our last name is only one- kind of the opposite situation you are in!

Your post cracked me up. Sorry for your pain! I like your initial choices better than I like [name]Willow[/name]–it’s fine, but the others seem much stronger to me. [name]Alice[/name] is one of my favorite names–but it sounds silly with my last name. Why don’t you remind him of things like–oh, I don’t know, the group [name]Alice[/name] in Chains or maybe some other appearances of [name]Alice[/name] in popular culture to get him to see it in a more modern light. I really do think most people are likely to think of [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland, and with the movie this year, isn’t there some hope you could convince him of its hipness? If he won’t go for it, what about [name]Alina[/name]? Is that one he’d go for and a reasonable tradeoff for you? I have always lined that one–there is a beautiful musical composition called Fur [name]Alina[/name] by [name]Arvo[/name] Part.

My husband had the same response to [name]Dahlia[/name], by the way…

Hm, since you like [name]Scarlett[/name], I wonder if you like [name]Violet[/name]? Would he be less adverse to that one?

Of course, in the end, there’s always the ‘I just gave birth, I’m naming her what I want’ card:)

Good luck.

Oh I thought of another suggestion: If he likes [name]Athena[/name] would he like the name [name]Thea[/name]? or [name]Althea[/name]? I know you wanted two syllables but [name]Athena[/name] is three so I thought I would mention it. I like both of those names over [name]Athena[/name] but they have that same Greek feel. I pronounce them like thay-uh and al-thay-uh.

[name]Clara[/name] is OK but I like [name]Alice[/name] so much better. Good luck find ing the perfect 3 syllable name :slight_smile:

[name]Alina[/name] is pretty! I never thought of that one before.
I did ask bf about [name]Violet[/name], and he likes it better than [name]Scarlett[/name] even though he says that it sounds like Violent. For some reason, I prefer [name]Scarlett[/name]. I also asked him about [name]Charlotte[/name], and he says it sounds “too French”. :shock: :?

I like [name]Thea[/name] ok, but it has a little bit of a harsh feel to me. I prefer [name]Thea[/name] to [name]Althea[/name]. Thanks.

If you could pair any name (or name + middle name combination) with the last name Marinaccio, what would you choose? I know I said that I prefer short names with such a long last name, but am flexible and willing to hear any suggestions at this point. I just need some fresh ideas, since I’ve been rehashing the same names over and over again.

So,

______ _______ Marinaccio
?

[name]Matilda[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Tabitha[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Cosima[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Gemma[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Silvia[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Emery[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Helena[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Amara[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Tessa[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Lydia[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Isla[/name] Marinaccio (eye-la)

[name]Ivy[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Stella[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Elise[/name] Marinaccio

[name]Louisa[/name] Marinaccio (loo-isa)

Thats all I got so far… hope at least one of them appeals to you lol

The boyfriend sounds pretty stubborn. [name]How[/name] about making a list of truly horrible names and springing one or two on him every few days. Then, in a week or two, come back to [name]Alice[/name] or [name]Scarlet[/name] and see if he likes them any better! Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Cosima[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name], but they end in “ma”, and with Marinaccio it sounds like ma-ma [name]Cosima[/name] Marinaccio, [name]Gemma[/name] Marinaccio- too much ma sound. I also like [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name]. Thanks :). [name]Isla[/name] is pretty, but maybe a bit too trendy?

I think maybe I am mispronouncing your last name. I was pronouncing the first part [name]Mar[/name] like in [name]Marco[/name] and not [name]Mar[/name] like in [name]Mary[/name]. Because I think the ma in [name]Gemma[/name] and [name]Cosima[/name] is different enough if the last name is pronounced like [name]Marco[/name], but that is just my opinion :slight_smile: Sorry I am not much help!

you are helping! I like [name]Ivy[/name] very much, and the boyfriend says he’s ambivalent about it. That’s an improvement.

I was just thinking about [name]Freya[/name]. I started to like it, but I’m a little afraid that it makes me think of a blonde haired blue eyed girl, and our daughter will almost definitely have dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. [name]Freya[/name] is also a little bit strange where I live- [name]Missouri[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think it matters that it’s not at all culturally relevant?

My grandmother’s name was [name]Genya[/name] (hard G like ‘good’, rhymes with [name]Kenya[/name]). What do you think of [name]Genya[/name]? Similar to [name]Genya[/name], I’ve been thinking about [name]Gianna[/name], (prefer the pronunciation
jee-[name]AH[/name]-na to JAH-na). What do you think of the name [name]Gianna[/name]? (Boyfriend says that [name]Gianna[/name] makes him think of a “b8tch with big hoop earrings who works at the drug store”)

What do you think of [name]Genya[/name], [name]Freya[/name], and [name]Gianna[/name]?

I think [name]Genya[/name] is unique- but people will constantly be mispronouncing it so that would be a big deterrent for me. It would be so obnoxious to constantly have to correct people for 80+ years as I don’t think this is a name that would ever be common in the US. I pronounced it Jenya like [name]Ginny[/name].

I like [name]Freya[/name] but not enough to ever use it for myself, I’m not sure why.

I do not like [name]Gianna[/name] though, sorry! I picture a snobby girl with huge frizzy brown hair. It is also pretty popular in certain parts of the US.

Someone suggested hustling him, and I actually think that might be a good idea. He’s is being completely unreasonable and unhelpful. Spend a week or two set on some crazy outrageous names, and when you go back to your totally reasonable names he might be relieved.

That or do what I would do in your place, and tell him if he doesn’t start participating and coming up with his own ideas instead of just shooting yours down, you’ll name the kid whatever you want, and tough shit if he doesn’t like it. I hate people like that who just shoot down ideas without contributing. It’s a pet peeve of mine. So much negativity.

Maybe you can make a list of all the names you like, and anything he might like, and then you can take turns each crossing one off the list, and whatever is left is the name.

[name]Hi[/name]!

Sorry you’re having such a hard time and your boyfriend isn’t agreeing to much! I noticed that you said he likes [name]Willow[/name], but I don’t like the sound of [name]Willow[/name] Marinaccio, personally. Now, I’m saying that as ‘mar-in-och-ee-oh’ - is that right? Well, anyway, what about [name]Willa[/name] Marinaccio? I absolutely love that! It gives you a little bit of [name]Nora[/name] and him a little bit of [name]Willow[/name], so it seems like a great compromise.

As for [name]Genya[/name], [name]Freya[/name], and [name]Gianna[/name], I think [name]Gianna[/name] is a bit trendy, [name]Genya[/name] would be mispronounced, and [name]Freya[/name], though uncommon in [name]Missouri[/name] and in much of the US, is a really cool choice! [name]Freya[/name] Marinaccio is a really neat name, but I think she’d need a classic middle name, like [name]Freya[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Marinaccio.

Speaking of middle names, is her middle name going to be [name]Scout[/name], or did you all just like that? I didn’t read to the bottom of the page, so I’m not 100% on that. [name]Willa[/name] [name]Scout[/name] is cute, so maybe you’d like that, but I still think something short, sweet, and classic is best. And, your name choices tell me you like classic. So, what about something like [name]Claire[/name], [name]Cate[/name], [name]Faye[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Joy[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Maud[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], or [name]Tess[/name]? I’m loving [name]Willa[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Willa[/name] [name]Faye[/name], [name]Willa[/name] [name]June[/name], [name]Willa[/name] [name]Ruth[/name], and [name]Willa[/name] [name]Tess[/name] Marinaccio, but [name]Freya[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Freya[/name] [name]June[/name], [name]Freya[/name] [name]Maud/name, [name]Freya[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Freya[/name] [name]Rose[/name], and [name]Freya[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] Marinaccio would also be stunning!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I’d also suggest these name combos:

[name]Alla[/name] [name]Cate[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Celia[/name] [name]June[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Kaia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Leda[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Noella[/name] [name]May[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Cate[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Roxane[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Sela/name [name]Jane[/name] Marinaccio

For some reason, I’ve never really liked [name]Willa[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] your suggestions for [name]Freya[/name] though, especially [name]Freya[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Freya[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. I’m loving [name]Pearl[/name] as a middle name.

He likes the name [name]Scout[/name] as a middle name, but I’m a little bit afraid that it only really suits one kind of girl- a tomboy. Another middle name he likes is [name]Snow[/name]. I think he might just like [name]Scout[/name] and [name]Snow[/name] because we recently watched to Kill a Mockingbird and [name]Snow[/name] White back to back. He tends to like names that are a little bit ‘out there’ it seems. Before we found out that it was a girl, he picked the boy’s name [name]Jericho[/name] [name]Danger[/name]. Yes, [name]Jericho[/name] [name]Danger[/name] for a boy, and [name]Willow[/name] [name]Scout[/name] for a girl.

The reason for [name]Genya[/name] is that it was my Grandma’s name. I’m also afraid that it will constantly get butchered.

I love these suggestions:

[name]Celia[/name] [name]June[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Leda[/name] [name]Claire[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Cate[/name] Marinaccio

I especially love [name]Celia[/name], but a very close friend’s daughter’s name is [name]Cecelia[/name], and I don;t want to steal her name. [name]Leda[/name] and [name]Flora[/name] are beautiful. I just added [name]Leda[/name] and [name]Flora[/name] to the list :slight_smile:

So here’s my list for first names (minus [name]Alice[/name] :cry: , because bf emphatically HATES it):
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Leda[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]/[name]Violet[/name]/[name]Charlotte[/name] (not sure which- I like them all, and they all have a different feel)
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]

I might even add [name]Pearl[/name] as a possible first name.

So far, bf likes:
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name] (kind of cool but I’m not brave enough. Plus it rhymes with last name)
[name]Athena[/name]

it seems like your DH likes more hipster names and you like classic whimsical names. I happen to think scout is super cute and [name]Jericho[/name] [name]Danger[/name] is Very nice. I am going to give you my girls list in hopes that me and your DH have similar taste.

[name]Delilah[/name]- like [name]Dahlia[/name] but he may think its more modern since that song
[name]India[/name]/ [name]Indiana[/name]- Since he likes [name]Indigo[/name] but you say it rhymes w last name
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Neve[/name]/neva- means snow, DH likes the name [name]Snow[/name] (so do I)
[name]Jewel[/name]
[name]Saffron[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]- ps [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Scout[/name] is SUPER cute
[name]Alba[/name]
[name]Lake[/name]
xanthe
[name]Sapphira[/name]
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Ocean[/name]

[name]Willow[/name] is not a bad name at all it is cute! However the name of your baby should not feel like a huge compromise so I hope you can find something you both can agree on. If he likes any of the names above I will be happy to suggest more that are in the same style/sound.

OK, you are going to think I am crazy, but, if I were being really picky, I can kind of see what your bf is saying about all of the names! I [name]LOVE[/name] names, but I only have like 5 on a list that I would actually ever use. I think some people just have more visceral reactions to words and sounds. So , just in defense of the bf…
Anyway, when I had my daughter, the only name DH liked was [name]Phoebe[/name]. And her name is…[name]Phoebe[/name]. I liked it too, I just was more open to other ideas than he was. I would suggest another one, and he would say “Her name is [name]Phoebe[/name].” So my suggestion was going to be [name]Phoebe[/name], but it seems I have been beaten to the punch. But I must step in here and tell you that [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is a bit too much homoge to actress [name]Phoebe[/name] Cates (the whole reason DH liked [name]Phoebe[/name]!)

Hmm – You have good taste in baby names. HE has good taste in baby names. The problem seems to be you have different brands of good taste! Maybe you are right! Maybe you should just plunge ahead and name the baby yourself! After all, he is just a boyfriend, right? His say must be lower on the scale of importance than a husband’s!

SERIOUSLY, I do like [name]Willow[/name]. I think [name]Willow[/name] [name]Scout[/name] Marinaccio rocks it. I approve of [name]Athena[/name]. A bit edgy, but not too out there, and very pretty. The problem seems not in these names, but in you. You are the mom, and you should [name]LOVE[/name] your baby’s name – not just find yourself able to tolerate it.

I can only think of two courses to pursue. Keep looking until you find a name you [name]BOTH[/name] love, or you should name your baby – because she is your baby and he has opted for boyfriend status.

What do you think?