Help settle a debate on Heidi...

Is [name]Heidi[/name] too dated to use on a baby today, or was it really never popular enough to become associated with a certain age group?

Thanks!

It’s definitely not as dated as [name]Jennifer[/name] or [name]Linda[/name] or [name]Ashley[/name], but I wouldn’t use it myself. It could be kind of cute on a baby.

I think it’s a little dated, but still a cute name. If you love it, go for it!

[name]Heidi[/name] is still okay today.

I wouldnt call it dated, but think there are few play boy girls called [name]Heidi[/name] and other sorts of models like that with the name which is enough to put me off. Also think of that reality tv person [name]Heidi[/name] Montag, unfortunately .

I don’t think it was ever quite popular enough to be strongly associated with any one age group. If you like it, I think you should use it. It’s a cute name and the few [name]Heidi[/name]'s I’ve known have all been really nice people.

Did you know that [name]Heidi[/name] is a NN for [name]Adelaide[/name]? So you could always go with [name]Adelaide[/name] as her formal name.

Thanks, everyone! No, I’m not considering this for my daughter, but I was having a discussion with someone about the name. The only real-life Heidis I know are in their 20’s and 30’s, but it’s only a few people across a couple states. I thought the name would still work for a little girl since it has never been very popular in the USA, and therefore isn’t necessarily associated with a particular age group. It’s not my style, but it’s cute and has a lot more history than many names these days!

According to the SSA website, [name]Heidi[/name] became most popular in the late 1960s and started to decrease in popularity by the late 1970s. It peaked at #60 in 1974. Probably due to the movie with [name]Shirley[/name] [name]Temple[/name] (1937) and not the book (1880), [name]Heidi[/name] entered the list in 1939 and increased rather a lot by the late 1940s and 50s, really hitting it by the 60s and 70s, possibly because of several revivals and tv movies and miniseries, as well as the story being considered a classic. This name, then, was not an instant hit (like, for example, [name]Madison[/name] from Splash!, which will be branded for life with that reference and period). Although [name]Heidi[/name] was moderately much more popular a few years after the film, it only became more and more popular for several decades instead of diminishing like a lot of other names (like [name]Shirley[/name]).

It seems to have settled quietly at about 300-350; [name]Heidi[/name] is approximately as popular now as it was almost 2 decades ago, which is not very, but not very un, either (kind of impressive of it to hold its form like that, actually), but it did have its peak with people around my age.

I don’t think [name]Heidi[/name] is dated at all. I have met several little girls with this name and it’s always adorable on them. It was never popular enough to get that dated feel.

However, while I [name]LOVE[/name] the name…it reminds me of [name]Heidi[/name] Montag from The Hills. She might be wrecking the name for me a bit.

On another site, there was a member who named her daughter [name]Heidi[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. She kept the name a secret until after the birth, and everyone thought it was DARLING. Also, I know a few [name]Heidi[/name]'s [name]IRL[/name] (not just Klum and Montag) and they have given me a good association with the name.

I like it :slight_smile:

I think [name]Heidi[/name]'s an okay name but not for a kid these days. Try another H name or a [name]German[/name] name here’s some examples:
[name]Johannah[/name]
[name]Sofi[/name]
[name]Verena[/name]
or
an especially german and H name: [name]Hannah[/name] (h-ah-nah) not (h-an-uh)
I really don’t like [name]Heidi[/name] for a kid sorry!

Names don’t have expiration dates. I love the name [name]Heidi[/name]!