Help! Should I change my son's name?

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this! I haven’t had any issues with PPD luckily. The only issue since birth has been my uncertainty about the name, which came from a few negative comments that I saw online. I’ve heard of the character “[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]”, in The Librarians and all the other [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] characters on TV seem to be male too. I just got concerned when I saw the “[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]” in the name and I looked online and saw there were a couple of female Flynns out there too. We have been talking to the kids about the possible name change since our son was born so it won’t come as a surprise to them but they will probably still be a little sad…but like you said, they could always still call him [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh and I forgot to answer your question about the birth certificate. I called [name_m]Vital[/name_m] Statistics and apparently in the state of [name_u]Texas[/name_u], the birth certificate will show the old name at the top and the new name down the bottom, as an amendment. They told me that not all states do it that way and that birth certificates for adoptions are different. I think this has been one of the main reasons I’ve been hesitant to change the name. I’m so sad that the birth certificate will always show both names and my son will see it. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks so much! The kids know that we’ve been thinking about changing the name so it shouldn’t come as a surprise if we do. They would prefer to keep his name as “[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]” but hopefully they’d get used to the new name if we change it.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this! The kids have known since our son was born that we might change his name so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to them if we do. I just hope they adjust to the new name quickly.

Thank you so much! Yes, I do like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. It’s not necessarily my favorite name in the world but it’s the only other name that my husband likes an I don’t really have any concerns about it, other than the [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Hobbes[/name_m] association. I originally preferred [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] because I thought it was unique and handsome but then I read some comments online about it sounding like “phlegm” and the “[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]” making it less masculine and those comments just got stuck in my head. That’s a great suggestion about two middle names although my husband doesn’t really want to do that because he thinks it makes the name too long. But it would solve the problem of saying goodbye to [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] completely. I even thought of just adding [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] as a second middle name so it would be [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m]…that way we could avoid a name change and he could possibly go by [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] if my doubts for [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] didn’t fade but then again, it might be hassle for him to go by his middle name. Argh…it’s so hard to know what to do!

Hi! Yes, unfortunately in [name_u]Texas[/name_u], the new birth certificate would show the old name at the top and the new name at the bottom as an amendment. You’re correct about adoption…I called [name_m]Vital[/name_m] Statistics and they told met that adoptions are handled differently. Yes, I was hoping that it might be easier to change our son’s name given that he’s only 3 months old but apparently we still need a court order and the old name will still show on the birth certificate. Such a bummer! I really don’t want my son to see that when he’s older!

Thank you so much for your advice! It’s reassuring to know that you think there are others out there who have gone through this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awww, [name_u]Finn[/name_u] is a cute name! I guess my son could always go by “[name_m]Fynn[/name_m]” if he preferred? Or maybe he could still use the “[name_u]Finn[/name_u]” spelling…it probably wouldn’t matter for a nickname. Yes, I had heard about [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_u]Kerr[/name_u]’s son [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]. I believe [name_f]Elle[/name_f] McPherson also has a son named [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]. I’m glad you don’t see it as a feminine name. I used to love the name but comments I read online about it sounding like “phlegm” and the “lynn” making it less masculine really got in my head. I’m worried my doubts won’t fade but changing the name seems so drastic. The process is a little overwhelming here in [name_u]Texas[/name_u] because you need a court order. It’s so hard to know what to do. Hopefully we’ll figure it out! Thanks so much for your advice!

1 Like

Hi! Has the [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] you know had any issues with the name over the years like spelling, pronunciation, etc? Yes, I used to love that the the name was rare but after reading a few negative comments about it online, it made me have doubts and it’s hard to own it feeling like that. I’m glad you think it’s a handsome name! :slight_smile:

Hi! That’s a good idea! the only thing is that my husband isn’t a fan of two middle names. He thinks it’s too long. But it would be a good solution if I can convince him. I even thought about [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] so he could go by [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] if my doubts about [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] don’t fade. Then we could just add a name and not go through the process of an official name change, which requires a court order. But I’m not sure if going by his middle name would be a hassle?

Thank you so much for not making me feel crazy! I’ve been feeling so bad about not knowing what to call him so it’s good to hear that maybe other parents have doubts at times too! Wow, what a story! I give the Mom credit for hanging in there and not changing the name, even though it was a completely different name. It sounds like it really worked out in the end. The funny thing is, I really used to love the name [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] and wanted to use it for my other son but my husband said no. This time around, I my husband was open to the name and I was so excited to use it until I went online and read some negative comments about it. A few people mentioned that [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] reminded them of “phlegm” and a couple of people thought that the “lynn” part made it less masculine. Those comments got stuck in my head and I started to overthink everything and think of the name differently. I wish I could go back to the way I used to think about it. Yes, you’re probably right…some people may make mistakes about the name even if they know how to say it or spell it. I think I’m just noticing reactions and mistakes more because I’m already self conscious. When I think about it, people ask me how to spell my daughter’s name all the time ([name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]) but I don’t think anything of it because I like the name and I’m not self conscious about it. It’s just hard to know if these doubts about [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] will fade. I think my biggest concern is if the name is masculine enough. I want him to grow up with a name that is strong and people know is a boys name. I’m just not sure what to do. I like your suggestions of [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] or [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]…I just can’t decide which one to go with!

Thank you so much for your helpful advice! I’m so happy to hear that you think [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is a masculine name and you don’t see/think of “[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]” when you see it. I love [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Rider[/name_m]! I think that’s why my kids like the name too and don’t want to change it, haha! I like the idea of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] although I think my husband would prefer to keep [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] as the middle name as it’s his first name but I might be able to persuade him. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s OK to have the first and middle name both ending in an “n” sound"? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] or [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] works better with siblings [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Elle[/name_f]) & [name_u]Austin[/name_u]? Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Hi! I’m actually from Australia originally! I think I’d probably feel more comfortable with the name if I still lived there because it’s more popular and maybe people wouldn’t ask me to repeat his name or ask me how to spell it so often! I’ve noticed that Aussie’s don’t like the name [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] as much. [name_f]My[/name_f] family and friends in Australia have all said they prefer [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]. I guess [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is probably more of an American name. It’s not very common in Australia right?

1 Like

Hi! I’m so glad you don’t notice the [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] at all. I never used to either but then one day I did and then I couldn’t unsee it! Unfortunately I don’t think my husband is open to any other names aside from [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] but I appreciate the suggestion!

Hi! Thank you for your kind words about the name! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband would prefer to keep the middle name as [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] because it’s his name but I might be able to convince him to change it. I like [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] because that would give us the option of calling him [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] if my doubts about [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] don’t fade but I’m just not sure if it would be a hassle for him to go by his middle name? I know a lot of people do it though.

1 Like

Changing a name via “court order” is really just filling a page or twos, having it notarized, paying $40 or so, and then waiting a week or two to come pick up the approved paperwork. Then, an appt the SS office. So, that’s a morning or afternoon out of your day. That assures that his new SS card (and I believe birth certificate too) will be mailed to you.

It’s not drastic at all, and lots of people do it.
Some states have an expedited/simplified process for newborns during the first year (similar to how LN changes due to marriage are expedited/simplified). Some states offer this because of just how common it is, the dilemma you’re experiencing. People pick out a name, then they meet the baby, and realize it’s not the right fit.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] / [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is a great name.
PS just be prepared that kids miiiight call him [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_u]Cal[/name_u], [name_m]Vin[/name_m], [name_u]Vinny[/name_u], [name_f]Cally[/name_f], etc. Only so much we can control what lids, esp the little ones, come up with!

PS my name is Lynn, and I don’t even notice the Lynn in Flynn. The only Flynn I think of is the character in Tron the movie, who is male.

I’m so glad [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is all boy to you and you don’t think it will turn unisex anytime soon! I always thought it was 100% a boys name too but I just got worried when I looked online and saw that there are some female Flynns out there. But I don’t think there’s many. I’m glad you don’t really see the [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] in [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] either. I didn’t notice it either till late in my pregnancy and then I became too focussed on it. I don’t want to see it because it reminds me of a mean girl from high school but maybe with time, I’d get over it. It’s hard to know though, which is why I’m considering changing it. Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice. I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reassuring words! You make it sound a lot less overwhelming than I thought it would be. I think the thing that made it feel more drastic was that the county court told me that we’d need a hearing to get a court order. I was also informed by a lawyer that we’d probably only have about a 50% chance of the judge approving the name change. That surprised me because I thought they approved most name changes.

I appreciate you mentioning that this situation is actually quite common…that makes me feel a lot better!

And I love the nicknames you mentioned. I would be fine with the kids calling him most of those names.

It’s also reassuring to know that even though your name is [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], you didn’t notice the lynn in [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]. That makes me think that most people wouldn’t notice it and hopefully not think the name is less masculine because of it.

1 Like

Hey! I’m so glad I soothed your worry, berries have to help each other! I think name wise [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] would suit the set but [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] also suits it (I prefer [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] however so it can balance [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]) I think repeating sounds are perfectly okay if they flow nice or have deep meaning! Hopefully you’ll be able to convince your dh, but I think any dad would want to have some sort of honor :sweat_smile: while I prefer [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] if it’s meaningful enough [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] becomes the one no matter how much the other pair seems better

I really like [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] and much prefer it over [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. But I’m in Australia where [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] is a very popular name, and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is quite unusual and would probably be considered fairly religious. I do like [name_u]Cal[/name_u] though, and would prefer another [name_u]Cal[/name_u] name such as [name_u]Callum[/name_u]. I like [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] better with the siblings too. But all that’s neither here nor there if it is not right for you, and I think you should change it if this continues to be a problem. I’ve never thought of the connections with [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] or phlegm until you said them.

I agree with the advice to try out [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] for a little while to see how it works for you. Also you can keep looking for a third option if you’re not sure about either [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] or [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].

1. I really don’t know if your doubts will fade. But I’m all for changing names where doubts continue.

2. Not sure which is best for you out of those options - I clearly prefer [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] so would consider changing the middle name and calling him [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. Adding [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] to the front or middle and having 3 names though is another option. If that’s different to your other children then that’s just a family story to tell.

3. I think the kids and everyone else will get used to a change very quickly. Not an issue.

4. Fine with [name_u]Austin[/name_u].

5. I had to look up what the [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Hobbes[/name_m] association is, as I’m not in the US. How well known is this?