Help! Six weeks to go for #2 & need a name! Sister of Eden Presley.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,

Would love help choosing a name for our 2nd daughter coming [name_u]August[/name_u] 1. Her sister is named [name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_u]Presley[/name_u], a name chosen for a combination of reasons, including 1. We agreed on it 2. I loved the Hebrew meaning of [name_u]Eden[/name_u] “delight” - meaning is a big factor for me. And this seemed perfect as she was completely unexpected and was a ray of light/delight in a difficult time (my father in law had just been diagnosed with stage four cancer and the family was in devastation) 3. We both thought it conjured up beauty and tranquility. 4. As a [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] I wanted to pick something outside the top 20 (preferably top 50) and this qualified as being a less popular name but not unheard of. And “[name_u]Presley[/name_u]” was chosen as a tribute to my father in law, primarily, a huge [name_m]Elvis[/name_m] fan… but also for it’s meaning “priest’s land/property” - because my late father was a minister, and it honored him as well.

It all came together the first time around but is not exactly as easy this time. Ideally we are able to find a somewhat less popular, but sweet/simple name for our second that has a beautiful meaning and some sort of family connection / tribute.

In terms of names we’ve (ok, mostly I’ve) tossed around here’s a list so you can see the ball field I’m in. Any you like from this list or if you use this list as inspiration and can lead me in an even better direction - fabulous!

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] - “lion of God” (love this meaning and she may also be a [name_m]Leo[/name_m]/lioness :slight_smile: - my husband and I both like this but are concerned about the whole Disney princess association. That being said, [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] was a mermaid and my husband and I first met a Starbucks (true story)
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]/[name_u]Cory[/name_u]/[name_f]Corinna[/name_f]/[name_f]Carina[/name_f] - “dear little one / maiden”
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]/[name_m]Arin[/name_m] - not a huge fan of both daughter’s names starting with “e”. But a nice tribute to my husband’s Irish heritage.
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] - “from the sea” - may be appropriate if she is born early / cancer is a water sign
[name_f]Lilou[/name_f] - love it, think its cute. Concerned she couldn’t walk into a board room one day with such a cutesy name.
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] - “lily” - pretty but very similar to very popular names. Husband suggested it. Keeps with the “nature” theme of [name_u]Eden[/name_u]. Also, I’m a second daughter who was supposed to be my dad’s “tiger” (boy) but turned out to be his tiger lily (girl). Our daughter is the same. :slight_smile:
[name_f]Marisol[/name_f] - “sun” - seems appropriate for a summer baby
[name_f]Bijou[/name_f]/[name_f]Bijoux[/name_f] - “jewel” probably a better middle name. Children are definitely the “family jewels” - where you make your investment. So that’s the appeal there.
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] - like how it looks, less how it sounds. But we live on an Island, and this will be her first home, so that would be a nice connection.
[name_u]Simone[/name_u] - love the literary / philosophy connection. I also want to raise smart, independent thinkers and this is a name that is associated with that aspiration for me.
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] - “life” - love the meaning but quite popular. Like the strong woman reference to “Zenobia” the Queen.
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] - love it but a woman I work with named her daughter this. Plus husband isn’t a huge fan. However I think it too has such a great literary link.
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]/[name_f]Marlie[/name_f] - my mom’s name is [name_f]Marlene[/name_f] and my mother in law’s is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] so this could be a tribute to both of them. Also, my husband and I got married on the beach to the yukelele playing bob marley’s “I want to love you, and treat you right”

Thank you for reading and any and all thoughts, suggestions are welcome. We’re really stuck!:confused:

[name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_u]Presley[/name_u] is so lovely! I think the meaning behind both names are so wonderful. Here are my favorites for her little sister:

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] - probably my #1 choice for you. [name_u]Eden[/name_u] & [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] just sound perfect together, in my opinion. I love that they both have that beautiful biblical meaning. I wouldn’t worry too much about the Disney association. There will most certainly be people who comment about The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid, but I would be inclined to think that with a sibling named [name_u]Eden[/name_u], the parents weren’t naming their daughter after a princess, opposed to someone who named their daughters something like [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] & [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f].

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] - Another gorgeous option! Bonus points because your husband likes it, too. With [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], you have a beautiful name that can work professionally, but you could still use the cute nickname [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] if you wished.

I also like the names [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Marisol[/name_f], but I think they have less meaning for you. Looking forward to seeing what you choose! :slight_smile:

I love your name choices! If it were me, I’d stick with the Hebrew/Biblical first name, so I vote [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]. I also like the last-name-middle-name-with-significance, but I can’t think of any suggestions without knowing you and your husband that well.

As for suggestions, I always thought [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] was cute with [name_u]Eden[/name_u], as both are significant places in the Bible. You could explore that vein if you want something that goes together but isn’t too matchy. Another Biblical place name is [name_f]Bethany[/name_f].

From your list, I love…

[name_f]Corinna[/name_f] [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] [name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Bijou[/name_f] (I adore [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] together. To me, they sound as if they’re meant to be sisters).
[name_f]Marlie[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] or [name_f]Marlie[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f]

Maybe you’d also like…

[name_f]Amabel[/name_f] (“lovable”)
[name_f]Calla[/name_f] (“beautiful”…and, since a [name_f]Calla[/name_f] is a type of lily, it also works with your “tiger lily” metaphor)
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] (“pearl”)
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] (“star”)
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (“happy”)
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f] (“pledged to God”)
[name_f]Leona[/name_f] (“lioness”)
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] (“house of figs”…another Biblical place name)

Good luck!

[name_u]Eden[/name_u] is very pretty. I like [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] together. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is also very pretty.

I also like the idea of honoring your mothers and the personal connection to [name_u]Marley[/name_u]… but objectively I would prefer [name_f]Mara[/name_f] or [name_f]Mari[/name_f]. (I suppose Marley, Marina, and Marisol could all be nicknamed Mari)

P.S. Not sure how well it goes with [name_u]Eden[/name_u], but since you like [name_f]Marina[/name_f]… [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] also means ‘daughter of the sea’ and can be nicknamed [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought :slight_smile:

What a thoughtful naming process! I think you have great choices here. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_u]Marley[/name_u] called [name_f]Lilou[/name_f]. Your moms get the middle name honorific like your dads did with [name_u]Presley[/name_u]; [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is a beautiful, rare-but-familiar name; she has a nature connection with [name_u]Eden[/name_u]; and you can use the adorable [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] for as long as she’ll let you!

[name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f] & [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] are all really lovely and go nicely with [name_u]Eden[/name_u].

Other Suggestions - [name_f]Belle[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_u]Ainsley[/name_u], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Alia[/name_f], [name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

This is my first time posting so I’m not sure how to reply to each one of you, but thank you so much for taking the time to respond and offer your ideas. I really appreciate it.

I’m going to share this with my husband tonight and see what he thinks, but I know he will appreciate as I do, the votes of support for some of these names on the list - [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] are two of his favorites particularly. :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] younger sister suggested [name_f]Isla[/name_f] (growing on me, based on your feedback) and my older sister suggested [name_f]Cora[/name_f] - so they’ll be pleased to know there are supporters for these pretty names. :slight_smile:

I also very much appreciate the new suggestions - we love [name_u]Jordan[/name_u], but one of my husband’s best friend’s daughter has this lovely name. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] will be so pleased someone suggested [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - it is a rather lovely and previously unthought of name. [name_f]Willow[/name_f], while evoking such grace and gentleness, sadly won’t work with our last name. I also find myself responding positively to [name_f]Calla[/name_f] as well - [name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]? However, I think both of those names mean beauty- so from a meaning standpoint perhaps that combo is a bit redundant.

In all, you all are really helping to advance my thinking and so much appreciate all the thoughts provided so far.

I think [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_u]Marley[/name_u] would be perfect. I’m sure your husband would love it because he suggested it. In her younger years, you could nickname her [name_f]Lilou[/name_f], and when she grows older, she could go by [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Lia[/name_f] if she decides she doesn’t like [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] anymore. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] provides so many nickname options, and [name_u]Marley[/name_u] as the middle name has meaning to you just like [name_u]Presley[/name_u]. Can’t wait to hear what you choose, and best of luck to you and your baby!

Hmm…

[name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_u]Presley[/name_u] has a fashionable unisex quality too it and I think using a name overtly feminine or a name that couldn’t work with [name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_u]Presley[/name_u]:
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]/[name_u]Cory[/name_u]/[name_f]Corinna[/name_f]/[name_f]Carina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]

Other names that I feel do not work with [name_u]Eden[/name_u] are…
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] - [name_u]Eden[/name_u] & [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] feel slightly cheesy together and I just dislike the whole vibe of these two names as a sibling set
[name_f]Erin[/name_f] - Stylistically and sound wise they are far too similar.
[name_f]Lilou[/name_f] - [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] together sound odd, [name_u]Eden[/name_u] feels stronger compared to [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] which just feels to soft paired together.
[name_f]Bijou[/name_f] - Simply not keen feels more brand like

Moving away from the negativity onto the names I feel that work with [name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_u]Presley[/name_u]:-
~ [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is a lovely choice she has a gorgeous oceanic sound and feels effortless. I also love the [name_f]Mae[/name_f] nickname. [name_f]Marina[/name_f] works well with [name_u]Eden[/name_u] they have a similar yuppy nature inspired sound. It’s a great combination.

~ [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] again is a gorgeous name. [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] seems to scream happiness, summer, heat, sunshine, beaches, ice-cream it just has a delightful aura. [name_u]Eden[/name_u] works wonderfully well with [name_f]Marisol[/name_f], they seem to just effortlessly flow together in a perfect sibling set. I would team [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] with a more masculine middle name for example [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] [name_u]Blake[/name_u].

~ [name_u]Simone[/name_u] does have a sultry feminine vibe which does kinda clash with [name_u]Eden[/name_u]'s preppy lively sound. However in a way I do think [name_u]Simone[/name_u] works with [name_u]Eden[/name_u] as they both have masculine connections, religious connections (biblical reference to the name [name_u]Simone[/name_u] through [name_m]Simon[/name_m]), and come with cool nicknames.

~ [name_u]Marley[/name_u] has a masculine fashionable vibe that ties in with [name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_u]Presley[/name_u]. [name_u]Eden[/name_u] & [name_u]Marley[/name_u] sound very happy together as a sibling pairing.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Marina[/name_f] & [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] out of those two my absolute favourite is [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] : )

I really love the name [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], but if you are that worried about the Disney connection, you can always use it as a middle name! I especially love [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]! :slight_smile:

So glad you like [name_f]Calla[/name_f]! It’s such a little beauty of a name, and is so lovely with [name_u]Eden[/name_u].

I think [name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], [name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_f]Bijou[/name_f], [name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_f]Marisol[/name_f], or [name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] would all be gorgeous choices, with beautiful meaning.

I think [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] is the best choice on your list. But if it still doesn’t feel right, how about [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]. It means star, and [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] sound cute together. As do all the nick names, ex. [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], etc.

[name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] or [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] would be beautiful!!

Ooh, definitely a smart idea from emsky in suggesting the gorgeous name [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] for a NN [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. I think you should use the name, but with a different variation, like [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] or Coppera.

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] and [name_u]Marley[/name_u] are my favorites because both have a special meaning in your life. [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] might not have the connection to the princess movie, because even though it was a popular Disney movie, it will be less popular than Frozen or any new Disney movie by the time she goes to school. But, I also like [name_f]Marisol[/name_f].

You have some great choices!

[name_u]Simone[/name_u] has a permanent place on my list so I definitely love this one.

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] along with:

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Carina[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] and [name_u]Eden[/name_u] sound gorgeous together. I wouldn’t worry about the Disney princess connection. We’ve been throwing [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] around for awhile and it hasn’t come up by anyone yet.

[name_u]Marley[/name_u] would get my 2nd vote as it seems to have more meaning to you than some of the other names. All great name choices though :slight_smile:

Thank you each and every one for such thoughtful replies. Naming a baby is truly and unexpectedly more challenging than I ever thought, but also so much fun. It really challenges me to be able to answer the question of, why, in a world of so many beautiful, stylish, meaningful, compelling names - one or two rise to the top. For sure, it’s ultimately a matter of personal choice and taste, but hearing the way in which each of you react, and seeing your thought process (positive and negative) behind each of the names provides new insight and an valuable external point of view to what seems like a very insular process, at times.

So much to think about!

These are my favorites with big sister [name_u]Eden[/name_u]:

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] - I prefer [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] for a girl, but [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] are great together either way. I wouldn’t worry much about the mermaid.
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] - a little girly with [name_u]Eden[/name_u], but a lovely name nonetheless
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] - I really like [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] together… does [name_f]Ailsa[/name_f] appeal to you?
[name_u]Simone[/name_u] - perhaps not the best match stylistically, but I long to meet a little [name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u] - it’s meaningful to you and is in the same unisex surname style family as [name_u]Presley[/name_u]