Help someone who likes the ugly names

My taste in names has been politely called old-school, though the word bad has been thrown around. I don’t mind. I’m the first one to recognize that some of these would look and sound “off” on a newborn baby boy, but it’s a risk baby boy and I can possibly take? or…should I?

Some of my favorites are:
[name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] (my father’s name), [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Ingram[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] (the one I would call my favorite) [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Marc[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], [name_m]Gustav[/name_m], [name_u]Ira[/name_u], [name_m]Hector[/name_m].

As people passionate about names, which of these would you salvage or curate?

6 Likes

My favorites from this list are:

Robin
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Hector[/name_m]

I wouldn’t call any of them ugly. I think most are on the verge of a comeback.

3 Likes

For myself, my favorites are [name_u]Ira[/name_u] (one of my top ten boy names), [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_m]Martin[/name_m].

However, I don’t think any of those names are ugly! In fact, I think you have a well curated list of the older boy names that are familiar, underused, and ready for a comeback!

1 Like

I absolutely LOVE [name_u]Ira[/name_u]!!!

I also really like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Hector[/name_m], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], and [name_m]Ivan[/name_m].

1 Like

I could see any of these names on a little boy!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_u]Ira[/name_u]. I would honestly use any of these!

I’m in the US so [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] to me is a ‘90s/‘00s name (there were multiple Kenneths in my grade each year. I think [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] is getting more and more common, I know a little [name_m]Duncan[/name_m].

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider any of these “ugly”. In fact, most of them don’t even feel too clunky or old-fashioned to me.
[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are:
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Kenneth[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Gustav[/name_m]

1 Like

I wouldn’t associate these names with the word ugly for a second. I think many of these are very handsome and would work perfectly well for a baby in 2021. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Ingram[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Martin[/name_m] (totally underrated imo!!) [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_u]Ira[/name_u], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] being on my own list. I would love to meet a babe with any of these names!

1 Like

I love vintage names! I don’t find them ugly. You can name your baby anything your heart desires! Most popular names are very old, like [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]John[/name_m]. I love [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Hector[/name_m] and [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]. I think they’re great and totally usable names. I’m going to suggest [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m], [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] and [name_u]Roscoe[/name_u] :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t like vintage names that much, but I think [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Marc[/name_m], [name_u]Ira[/name_u], and [name_m]Martin[/name_m] aren’t bad ([name_m]Martin[/name_m] [name_m]Luther[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. is a great association)

2 Likes

I think a lot of these would sound great on a little boy, and I wouldn’t call any of them ugly. [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] is one of my favourites too, [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_u]Ira[/name_u] are all nice.

If you’re concerned that some of them might be too much for a baby, you could use a sweet nickname when he’s small e.g. [name_m]Roland[/name_m] nn Roly. But babies aren’t small for long!

2 Likes

I think [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] all fit in with current trends and honestly plenty of these names are no more odd sounding on an infant to me than more popular names like [name_u]George[/name_u].

I think you might also like:
[name_m]Abner[/name_m]
[name_m]Aldo[/name_m]
[name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Angus[/name_m]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u]

2 Likes

I really like your list–I don’t find these names ugly at all! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites: [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m]. But I like most of them and I actually think they’re all very usable!

2 Likes

Id keep [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Ingram[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Marc[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_m]Hector[/name_m]. But none of them are really that bad so maybe keep them all :sunglasses:

1 Like

None of these are ugly! [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Marc[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_u]Ira[/name_u], and [name_u]Lee[/name_u] all have soft, sweet sounds. [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], and [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] sound distinguished. I’m not the biggest fan of [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] or [name_m]Hector[/name_m], but there’s nothing wrong with them.

1 Like

My favorites are [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], [name_u]Ira[/name_u], and [name_m]Hector[/name_m]! I think pretty much all of these are usable and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is even quite on-trend!

1 Like

I love love love these names!
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m] has been a favorite of mine lately. I adore [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_u]Ira[/name_u], and [name_m]Hector[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] second tier would be [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Marc[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]. These are good but seem a bit too “handsome” for me.
[name_m]Kenneth[/name_m], [name_m]Ingram[/name_m], and [name_m]Gustav[/name_m] are not my favorites, though fine if you really like them.

1 Like

My favorites are [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Marc[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. I wouldn’t call your names ugly, just not like cutsey or what I imagine on a newborn baby boy. However, I think many of these names have nicknames that are perfect for a little boy!

1 Like

They aren’t my taste, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with any of them. I wouldn’t ever use [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], though, as it’s a slang term for vomiting. I think [name_m]Hector[/name_m] and [name_m]Gustav[/name_m] are more ethnic choices, so if you don’t belong to one where those are prevalent in use, it may seem like an odd choice to others.

Marc, [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], and [name_m]Roland[/name_m] are pretty easy to pair with middle names and last names and don’t seem all that old fashioned to me, though I think [name_m]Roland[/name_m] isn’t very popular.

1 Like

I’m not sure I would recommend getting rid of ANY of them; they’re perfectly lovely! I would admit to [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and [name_m]Gustav[/name_m] being my favorites, though; [name_m]Gustav[/name_m] is seriously so cool and I wish he got more attention with [name_u]August[/name_u]’s growing popularity! [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] I somehow always forget about but he’s seriously so lovely, and I’m crushing on [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] myself lately.

Eugene I still struggle with but he has such a lovely meaning and I listen to this old-timey radio drama with a [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] in it, which has such wonderful, fond memories for me, but I’m still not sure I could name my kid [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] lol. I do love a Gaelic form, [name_m]Eoghan[/name_m], though (said just like [name_u]Owen[/name_u]), and the feminine forms, [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]/Eugenie/Evgeniya! [name_m]Martin[/name_m] is also seriously cool–it’s taken me a while to see the appeal, but I love [name_m]Martin[/name_m] [name_m]Luther[/name_m] (the reformer, although MLK, [name_m]Jr[/name_m]., is such a lovely namesake too!), and [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] [name_m]Martin[/name_m] is definitely a contender on my list.

I also like [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], and [name_m]Ingram[/name_m] as middles; [name_u]Lee[/name_u] feels a bit boring to me but is still nice. I like [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] okay, but prefer [name_m]Ivo[/name_m]/Ivar. [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] isn’t a personal favorite but every time I see him, he makes me smile. I feel like I should love him, but he just doesn’t feel like my kid? The others don’t really have that WOW factor for me, but are perfectly lovely objectively. If you love them all, I wouldn’t touch a thing. :heart:

1 Like

Ralph is totally usable!

I like:
[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Eugene[/name_m] - I think this is geeky-cool, like [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] [name_m]Levy[/name_m] or [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] Yang
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_u]Ira[/name_u]
[name_m]Hector[/name_m]

Ralph [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] gets my vote :slight_smile:

3 Likes