Help spelling an old timey name

My dad ran across the name Allifair ([name]Al[/name]-uh-fair) when he was doing some research on the historic Hatfield [name]McCoy[/name] feud. He thought it was pretty and suggested it for our new baby (we like avant garde, underused names), and I hated it at first. After milling it over for two weeks, I strangely have come to really like it. I did some more research on the name, and ran across several geneaological spellings of it from around the turn of the 1900’s. Can you tell me which spelling you think looks prettiest and most pronounceable:

Allifair
Alafair
Alefair
Alifair

There was a movie of the feud from 1949 called [name]Roseanna[/name] [name]McCoy[/name], and an actress named [name]Gigi[/name] Perreau played the role of Allifair [name]McCoy[/name] in the film. Unfortunately, that Allifair met an untimely death during the feud, but we think the name is quaint, pretty, and not at all being used today.

So, how do you like it spelled? Thanks a bunch!

The more I look at it, the prettier I think it is. And it certainly has that avant-garde quality.

I prefer it either Alifair or Allifair with the nn [name]Alli[/name] or [name]Ali[/name]. Probably with the two Ls. I think the other spellings could be more confusing.

Allifair: I think this looks great, and I pronounced it correctly without any trouble. :slight_smile:

Alafair: When I see this spelling, I think of Alfalfa or a fair in [name]Alabama[/name]…

Alefair: I would have mispronounced this as ale-fair…

Alifair: I would have pronounced this correctly, too. :slight_smile:

So, Allifair and Alifair are my favorite spellings, and I think they lend themselves to the name’s correct pronunciation. I actually think I like Allifair best…

I think it’s a very pretty name. :slight_smile:

Take care!

Allifair is a great find. You’re lucky to have at least one parent open to off-beat names. I agree that Allifair/Alifair are the best spellings.

I agree that Allifair looks the best but it also looks like it should be pronounced [name]Ally[/name] Fair, so there will be a lot of correcting. Alafair would get less mispronunciations. FYI i love the name but dont like nn ali too generic

My husband has this name in his family tree. I will have to go back and look at the spelling. He was born in WV and some of his people had migrated from [name]KY[/name]. I am pretty certain the spelling was Alifair- it also seems the best spelling to me.

I like Allifair

I think Allifair or Alifair are both good. I don’t think you’ll have too much trouble with [name]Ally[/name] Fair; [name]Allison[/name] doesn’t get [name]Ally[/name] [name]Sun[/name] very much in the English speaking world so I don’t think that its too hard for people to say it right!

Allifair