Help! Spelling problem!

We welcomed our little girl, [name]Gwyneth[/name], into the world on [name]June[/name] 25th. For the most part I’ve gotten good feedback on her name. There is one thing that is bothering me, however. My [name]SIL[/name] made a welcome home sign in which she accidentally spelled her name as “[name]Gweneth[/name]”. I corrected her, and she said, “Oh, ok. I’ve only seen it spelled [name]Gweneth[/name], but I like unique spellings!”. I’m glad she likes unique spelling, but I [name]DON[/name]'T. [name]Gwyneth[/name] is the correct spelling, right??? I really do not wanted to be accused of getting cre8tive with the spelling of her name.

Also, I’m having problems with her nn. [name]Gwyneth[/name] is a welsh name meaning “blessed, happy”. At first I started out spelling her nickname as [name]Gwyn[/name] because that seemed the most obvious to me. But then I read that [name]Gwyn[/name] is actually a common male name in Whales. Now [name]Gwyn[/name] just sort of looks weird and manly to me. So I switched it to [name]Gwen[/name], which is a solid female name. My friends are all a little confused, and I can see how using [name]Gwen[/name] can be confusing. Now sometimes when I start to write her full name I accidentally spell it [name]Gwenyth[/name]. My husband wants to just spell it [name]Gwyn[/name]. It doesn’t bother him that it is a man’s name because, and I quote, “We don’t live in Whales.” He does have a way of making complex problems simple. So what do you all think? [name]Gwyn[/name] or [name]Gwen[/name]?

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Gweneth[/name] is a form of [name]Gwyneth[/name], and [name]Gwenyth[/name] is a variant of [name]Gwyneth[/name] and, somehow, [name]Gwendolyn[/name]. I would definitely spell your daughter’s name [name]Gwyneth[/name], as you did originally, as I believe this is the original, correct spelling. The others are variants off the original. As for her nickname, for simplicity’s sake, I’d keep it [name]Gwyn[/name]. Then there is no confusion on how to spell her full name, and [name]Gwyn[/name] doesn’t look masculine to me. After all, as your husband said, you don’t live in [name]Wales[/name]. [name]Even[/name] if you did, Americans are starting to use boy names for girls (hello, [name]Carter[/name]!), so maybe the Welsh do to? Probably less likely, but still…

Oh, and [name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow, perhaps the most famous [name]Gwyneth[/name], spells her nickname Gwynnie, so at least you’ve got someone who does it the same way. And, for the record, I’ve never seen [name]Gwyneth[/name] spelled as [name]Gweneth[/name], or as anything other than [name]Gwyneth[/name] for that matter. Great, unusual choice!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you! That was very helpful. I think I’ll stick with [name]Gwyn[/name]. Thanks again!

Yes, I absolutely agree with [name]Lemon[/name]. Your spelling is correct, and I’m afraid your [name]SIL[/name] is a bit of a spelling idiot. :slight_smile: And I also agree to keep [name]Gwyn[/name], it looks very feminine to me! (I live in the US.)

Oh and p.s., I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Gwyneth[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m with [name]Lemon[/name]. [name]Gwyneth[/name] is definitely the most traditional spelling according to this site and Behind the Name. And spelling her nickname [name]Gwyn[/name] is fine. It doesn’t look masculine, it clears up spelling confusion and it sounds totally fine. [name]Even[/name] though [name]Gwyn[/name] can be a male name in [name]Wales[/name], I don’t think it matters all that much- you’re not in [name]Wales[/name] and besides, plenty of girls here have traditional male nicknames ([name]Alex[/name], [name]Jess[/name], [name]Danny[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], etc). [name]Gwen[/name] would complicate matters, I think. And if people question the name, you can just say “Like Miss Paltrow”- my little cousin is named [name]Alec[/name] and when people say [name]Alex[/name] or question the name they say “Like Mr [name]Baldwin[/name]” lol. Most people know who [name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow is and if they think your spelling is cr8tive they can just google away! [name]Hope[/name] that helps! I love [name]Gwyneth[/name] btw, great choice!