Help to Narrow Down

I’m trying to narrow my list, which is seriously all over the place. My dh thinks my odd lists are cute, but he is as bad as I am. He will go for almost anything. For example, he once suggested [name_m]Callaghan[/name_m] for a girl (not totally unusable, as it has the nn [name_f]Calla[/name_f]) and Spektor for a boy (just no). I’m not pregnant, yet, but I’m a habitual planner and visualizer. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Janet[/name_f] [name_f]Annora[/name_f] - too vintage/weird?

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] - too normal/pedestrian?

[name_f]Yara[/name_f] Parascheva - family name on Romanian side. Too many 'A’s? Not supposed to rhyme, but does it seem too rhyme-y? [name_f]Yara[/name_f] is YAW-ruh. Parascheva is pair-ah-SHEE-vuh

[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Audrina[/name_f] Margeurite - too long? Too fancy?

[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] - too word-y?

[name_f]Violetta[/name_f] Irène - too pretentious-sounding?

Please feel free to change things or add names from my signature!

Thanks! I hope I can begin to reign it in soon.

There are lots of switches I’d make within your list that I feel would balance things out. I’m agreeing with a lot of your assessments of the combos you have, but I think they’d all be usable with some tweaking. For example:

I can’t see [name_f]Janet[/name_f] objectively because I have a family member named [name_f]Janet[/name_f] (born in the 80s) and she’s told me many times how much she hates her name because it’s from kind of an anachronistic era - it’s always felt dated to her compared with her peers, who were often named [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], for example. I don’t have a good sense of whether it’s come back around and would be considered vintage and cool for a child born now. Personally I’d be inclined to use [name_f]Jane[/name_f] as a first name or [name_f]Janet[/name_f] as a middle name. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] Parascheva would be amazing, now that I think of it!

If [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] is feeling too pedestrian, you might like [name_f]Annora[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], or [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_m]Jos[/name_m]ée, [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Joelle[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Irène, [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Audrina[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]; or [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Amina[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Annika[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f].

With the [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] combo, you could shorten at least [name_f]Audrina[/name_f] to [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] or [name_f]Audra[/name_f] and [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Audrina[/name_f]? [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]; [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Audra[/name_f]?

I do find [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] too word-y. [name_m]Even[/name_m] switching one of them out for a non-English word would help [name_f]IMO[/name_f]:

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] [name_f]Letitia[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]

Or veering a little further, maybe [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]?

[name_f]Violetta[/name_f] Irène does feel pretentious-sounding - I’d put either [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] or Irène in a combo, but not both. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] Irène or [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f]. (I’m assuming you’re using the [name_m]French[/name_m] ee-[name_u]REN[/name_u] pronunciation for Irène?)

And: I love [name_f]Yara[/name_f] Parascheva. It doesn’t feel too rhyme-y to me. I think [name_f]Yara[/name_f] strikes a good balance between familiar and unusual, since [name_f]Sara[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f] and to lesser extents [name_f]Zara[/name_f], [name_u]Dara[/name_u] and [name_f]Mara[/name_f] are all used out in the world. If you think the combo is too rhyme-y, you could break it up - [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Parascheva, [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Parascheva, or [name_f]Janet[/name_f] Parascheva; [name_f]Yara[/name_f] [name_f]Annora[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f] [name_f]Maribel[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f] [name_f]Diantha[/name_f], or [name_f]Yara[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]?

Thank you so much, that’s immensely helpful and thoughtful of you.

[name_f]Yara[/name_f] Parascheva means a lot to me, I’m so glad you like it.

I’m altering the others on my list to:

[name_f]Annora[/name_f] Irène (yes, I have a [name_m]French[/name_m] accent)
[name_f]Anya[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Violetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Yara[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
[name_f]Letitia[/name_f] [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrina[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Diantha[/name_f]