Help! Too whimsical?

Berries, I need your help! Although I was never a believer in names being ‘stolen’, DH’s cousin has taken the name [name]Finn[/name] for her son. This (well, [name]Finnian[/name]) was previously a frontrunner for one of our twins, but both of us feel the situation is too close for us to use [name]Finn[/name] ourselves. We still love [name]Oliver[/name], but if the peanuts both happen to have Y chromosomes, we’re in need of another name!

A name that we had previously passed over, but are now returning to, is [name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddie[/name]. [name]Every[/name] time I hear this name it makes me smile - just like [name]Oliver[/name]! I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Ollie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] as a sib set, especially for twins, but I’m a little concerned that [name]Freddie[/name] might be too whimsical and cutesy next to big brother [name]Dashiell[/name] ([name]Oliver[/name], to me, can go either way).

What are your opinions? Is [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] a good sib set ([name]Dash[/name], [name]Ollie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name])? If not, do you have any other suggestions? As before, I want to keep with the pattern of longer name that can be shortened to a fun nickname - like [name]Dashiell[/name]/[name]Dash[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks!

[name]Chloe[/name]

Honestly, I think they are a perfect sibset! I love all 3 names and love them even more together! :]

I actually really like this sibset. To me, they do fit together very well.

I agree-I think [name]Dashiell[/name] ([name]Dash[/name]), [name]Oliver[/name] ([name]Ollie[/name]), and [name]Frederick[/name] ([name]Freddie[/name]) is a wonderful sib-set! The names do indeed compliment each other quite nicely…I say go for it! :wink:

Best wishes,
~*~Nameseeker3

I love the set, too! And, [name]Frederick[/name] is the last name I would call whimsical - it’s a rather stately classic. [name]Freddy[/name] is perhaps a bit on the cutesy side, but there’s always just [name]Fred[/name], which actually makes [name]Dash[/name] sound like the whimsical one :slight_smile:

If you like those names go for it. I think they sound ok together. I kind of feel like berries worry too much about sibsets. I mean it’s preferable that they don’t sound horrible together, but they only have their names said together for a couple years when they’re little, and then they’re adults. Twins I do feel need to have good congruent names because one twin will mention the other one a lot more often then normal siblings mention each other. My only question is do you like [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Fred[/name] together? There’s no equivalent diminutive of [name]Oliver[/name], but if that doesn’t bother you, go for it.

Wow, thanks for the great feedback! Triceratops, I do love [name]Ollie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] together as a twin set, my worry was the mix with [name]Dashiell[/name]. [name]Frederick[/name] is growing on me more and more with the hour. I’m still too scared to test it out on [name]MIL[/name] until after the birth, but then she’ll have no choice but to love it! Hahaha :smiley: At the end of the day… I just keep saying “[name]Freddie[/name]” and smiling… which I think says a lot about how I feel about the name :slight_smile:

Re. the sib set issue… it is important to me that my children have names that ‘fit’ together. I wouldn’t want to have a male [name]Pietro[/name] and a female [name]Sawyer[/name] as twins because stylistically they’re in different stratospheres. There are different styles of naming, whether it be similar cultural names/unisex/overtly tryndeigh or modern, and I definitely want consistency in my children. It also makes shortening the list a lot easier :smiley:

[name]Ollie[/name], [name]Freddie[/name], and [name]Dash[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name].
[name]Oliver[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], and [name]Dashiell[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name].
Good job! I think that those names are wonderful together!

I don’t see how [name]Frederick[/name] is whimsical at all! I think he’s by far the most buttoned up and serious of those names. But [name]Frederick[/name] is my number one favorite name! Look at us, being twins again! I think it’s fantastic as a twin for [name]Oliver[/name], and [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] are perfect little brothers for [name]Dashiell[/name]! I think you have found the perfect set!

Bummer about losing [name]Finn[/name], though! That’s my other favorite name! I’d be so sad if someone close to me used it!