Help us find a compromise

Hello!
[name_m]Long[/name_m] time reader but first time posting now that our little one is on their way.

Hubby and I have very different taste- he tends to prefer shorter, more common (here in Australia) and perhaps more 90’s style names. I prefer less common, often vintage (though not tied to it), longer names with nickname potential etc. We may have found a compromise for a girl’s name- [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f]. But can’t find any common ground at all for a boy’s name. Can’t stand with G as it doesn’t sound great with our surname. I think he likes [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] because it’s basically two shorter names he’d liked smushed together lol.

Names on my list as an example- [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], [name_u]Beckett[/name_u], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] for girl’s [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], [name_f]Adelina[/name_f], [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f], [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]. His list included [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_u]Seth[/name_u], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]. For girl’s [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_u]Zoe[/name_u], [name_f]Sienna[/name_f].

If anyone has any suggestions of boy’s names that might carry over both our taste, please send them my way!

1 Like

[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_m]Westin[/name_m]
[name_u]Connor[/name_u]
[name_u]Blaine[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_u]Sean[/name_u]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_m]Maxfield[/name_m]
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_u]Basil[/name_u]
[name_m]Doyle[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_m]Jeremy[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]
[name_u]Edward[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_u]Lyle[/name_u]
[name_u]Keller[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u]
[name_u]William[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_u]Leland[/name_u]
[name_u]Carden[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

Firstly congratulations!

Honestly naming is soooooooo hard! It’s also very hard to find a compromise when your styles clash. I think [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] is lovely and a good compromise for you both. I actually really like [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] she feels vintage has lots of nickname potential so in keeping with your style but also fits in with the likes of [name_f]Amy[/name_f]. Great idea!

From his boys list would you guys consider longer versions of his ideas he loves [name_u]Max[/name_u] would you guys consider a longer version of [name_u]Max[/name_u] like [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u], [name_m]Maxfield[/name_m] or [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]? [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] could be a great idea for you guys he feels vintage but with the nickname [name_u]Max[/name_u]. Similarly you could have [name_m]Beaumont[/name_m] ‘Beau’ and I think [name_m]Beaumont[/name_m] is really cool. With your list I think he should consider [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] & [name_u]Everett[/name_u]. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] has the nickname ‘Sully’ which to me has a similar feel to [name_u]Seth[/name_u]. [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] with the nickname [name_u]Beck[/name_u] could be a good idea as that has similar feels to both [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] & [name_u]Beau[/name_u] feeling short & fashionable. [name_u]Everett[/name_u] with the nickname [name_u]Rhett[/name_u] feels strong and could appeal to him.

You’ve had a few ideas so count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries

[name_u]Declan[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] ‘Seb’
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] ‘Nate’
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] ‘Ozzy’
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] ‘Freddie’
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ‘Theo’
[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m] ‘Zach’
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] ‘Sol’
[name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] ‘Jay’
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] ‘Zeke’
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] ‘Toby’
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] ‘Izzy’
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] ‘Kit’
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] ‘Monty’
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m] ‘Leo’
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] ‘Jay’
[name_u]Elijah[/name_u] ‘Eli’
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] ‘Vinnie’

I really hope this helps : )

3 Likes

I was also thinking [name_m]Beaumont[/name_m] nn [name_u]Beau[/name_u] or [name_m]Monty[/name_m]. I also like the [name_u]Max[/name_u] suggestions.

Congratulations!

Some suggestions:

[name_m]Victor[/name_m] nn [name_u]Vic[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] nn [name_m]Des[/name_m]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] nn Law/s, Ren/Wren
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u] nn [name_m]Ben[/name_m]
[name_m]Devere[/name_m] nn [name_m]Dev[/name_m]

1 Like

my first thought for you was maxwell ! nn max which he likes, but seems to fit comfortably among your strong vintage list.

also maybe you like turner ?

1 Like

i’d also like to suggest charles “arlo”! charles seems to fit your style well, and arlo is on his list. you’ve gotten a lot of other good responses, too. best of luck!

So it wouldn’t work for both of you to use one of the longer names you like and call him by a short nickname?

[name_u]August[/name_u] “Gus/Auggie”
[name_m]Evander[/name_m] “Evan/Van”
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “Sully/Van”
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] “Rett”

[name_u]Or[/name_u] from his list,

[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] “Max”
[name_m]Maximillian[/name_m] “Max”
[name_m]Boden[/name_m] “Bo”
[name_m]Beauregard[/name_m] “Beau”
[name_m]Beaumont[/name_m] “Beau”
[name_m]Beauden[/name_m] “Beau”
[name_u]Arlington[/name_u] “Arlo”
[name_m]Arnold[/name_m] “Arlo”

1 Like

What about:
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] “Max”
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]
[name_u]Beckett[/name_u] “Kit”
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] “Kit”
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_u]Leander[/name_u] “Leo”
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Alec[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Bowen[/name_m] “Bo”
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Donovan[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m] “Finn”
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_u]Ziggy[/name_u]
[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] “Toby” “Bo”
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] “Kit”

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I should have mentioned all of my suggestions included the nicknames ie [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] as [name_u]Kit[/name_u] etc, he didn’t like them. I don’t like [name_u]Max[/name_u] at all so longer names are out, and not really a fan of longer versions of [name_u]Beau[/name_u] etc, we really need a new name altogether.

Although I like vintage names, common ones like [name_u]Charles[/name_u] etc are very much not my taste. I’m not convinced we’ll find something we both like at this stage but will go through all your suggestions and see if there is anything we can add to our list, thanks so much!