Help us find a girl name we can agree on

Hello Berries,

I hope you can help us find a name that we love for our little girl! DH has narrowed my list down to 3 names:
[name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a top contender of the 3, but I’m not sure I love it. I like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], but it’s getting too popular in the US, and as much as I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], I just think it’s a mouthful. We’d end up calling her [name_u]Rory[/name_u] always.

Her middle name will be [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] after my dear grandmother. Of the 3, I think [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] sounds best.

I want something vintage, not too popular, and feminine with a little bit of edge. I also like floral and nature names.

I think he’d go for [name_f]Aria[/name_f], but does [name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] have too much of the “ar” sound?

Appreciate your suggestions as always!

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] doesn’t sound good at all. It’s like a garbled blurb of a name. I’d say [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] should be out. That leaves [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f]. Honestly, [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] both sound pretty terrible also. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is your best bet. Since the middle name is non-negotiable, I think it helps you narrow down first name choices. Here are my suggestions:
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Tulip[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]

oiseau - you’re absolutely right. If we decided on [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] or [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] we’d have to go with a different middle name. Together they sound terrible.

From your list I love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Thanks!

I agree that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is your best combo! I dislike [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f]. Other vintage options:

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]

Whoa, I think “terrible” is a bit of an exaggeration! I think if you love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] or [name_f]Aria[/name_f] you should consider them with such a lovely, meaningful middle. If you absolutely hate it then toss it out. BUT, I don’t think it’s terrible. Not ideal, but not terrible. Believe me, there have been way worse names :slight_smile:
That being said, I think [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is beautiful and my favorite by far. Of the other two I think I like [name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] better than [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]. It doesn’t have as many repeating sounds as [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] does.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is the clear winner. It has all of the characteristics you are looking for.

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]/[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] are gaining in popularity to the point that where once somewhat vintage, [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is now beginning to feel a little overused and tired. I simply don’t care for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I can’t take the name seriously, as I just see it as a princess, flowery name that doesn’t age well. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is definitely a mouthful and with my northern accent I can barely get it out.

As for [name_f]Aria[/name_f], I find this name to be incredibly trendy right now. This is not a classic and timeless name and will most certainly date your daughter to being born within a three year span of time.

If you want: classic, vintage, spunky, fairly uncommon [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is the clear winner.

Viola and Flora or Fiora seem like obvious (and possibly already suggested) suggestions.

Violet seems quite popular where I am at, and I have a feeling it will be getting more so. Viola seems like a great alternative (especially with the vye-oh-luh prn vs. vee-oh-luh – I’m torn between the two), and prettier IMO. Flora and Fiora give you the “ora” that Aurora has, the floral aspects, but less of a mouthful.

I think Viola Marjorie is gorgeous.

p.s. Audrey has a long-lived popularity, meaning I meet people of all ages with this name often enough but not as much as, say, Emmas and Sarahs. As far as Aurora goes, it’s actually had long lasting popularity as well, but I feel like it might get trendy which also means it might later become dated? I dunno. Maybe not. I feel like everyone is considering Aurora!

Honestly, if you’re going for not too popular don’t use [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] or [name_f]Aria[/name_f]! [name_f]Aria[/name_f] was the fastest rising in popularity last year and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]'s getting big, too. I like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] best. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] just doesn’t work.

I agree that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] sounds the best of your combos - it’s lovely!

[name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] does have a bit more “arr” sound than is ideal, but it’s not bad per se, and the middle name doesn’t often see the light of day anyway. If [name_f]Aria[/name_f] is the one you love, go for it!

I agree with a pp that [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] doesn’t work very well (though again, the middle name isn’t often used, so if this is the name you love, go for it). It doesn’t sound like you’re sold on [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] anyway, though. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] isn’t ideal as a combo either, but it might sound better with the surname.

If you wouldn’t mind, could you either share your surname or describe it (how many syllables, what sounds are prominent, what does it start and end with)? You’ll be saying and hearing Firstname Lastname more in real life than Firstname Middlename.

You may also like:

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] (could be nicknamed [name_f]Aria[/name_f] if you wanted)
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]

And I second the suggestions of [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Linnea[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]!

I think you already have a winner: [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is a great choice!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], @rach84,

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is definitely the best pairing, and a very charming vintage pairing at that.

However, I feel sad for you that this choice would be less your style and more of a compromise than other names.

Previously, you mentioned that [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are favorites vetoed by your husband.

Perhaps you could use them as middles?

My top recommendations for a first name:

[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] {and} [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]

{equivalent biblical classics}

https://nameberry.com/blog/classic-girls’-names-how-to-choose-one-that’s-truly-timeless

I think [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] sounds great, but [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is my favourite of the list you have put together. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a close second it’s a really beautiful name - but is it really less popular than [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]? Prob depends where in the US you live. I like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] but [name_f]Aria[/name_f] I’m not a fan of (nasal spray brand where I’m from is called Arius and it’s what I think of - random!). None are ‘terrible’ so don’t listen to whoever posted that. You’re not trying to name the child Cheesewiz or something and then I’d tell you it’s terrible!!

Other options (sorry for repeats):

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] (or [name_f]Lenora[/name_f]) [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] (probably would change the middle name)
[name_f]Melinda[/name_f] (ditto to my comment above)
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Katrina[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Majorie[/name_f]

Have you considered [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] as a first? It’s beautiful and vintage with a nice meaning for you. And it’s underused [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

p.s. If you like nature names, and like the Au sound like in [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], you might consider [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]. Although not specifically a nature name, it conjures very natural images in my head. Being from [name_f]Canada[/name_f] I see red leaves and brooks and forests when I hear [name_f]Autumn[/name_f].

Thank you for your thoughts and all of your suggestions!

@apollonia - thank you! You’re right. I do love the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f], but I do feel like I’m settling on it. The same thing happened with my son, [name_m]Nathan[/name_m]; I just gave in because my husband was being so difficult. I like your suggestions of the biblical classics - [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], and [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f].

Someone asked about our last name - it’s 1-syllable, starts with a K, and rhymes with “all”.

I like suggestions [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f].

My favourite is [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] I think it has a lovely wholesome sound.

Suggestions:
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]

: )