Help us find a sibling name for Ada!

Currently TTC, and we are struggling to find names we love for baby #2. Our daughter’s name is [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u], and we love her name so, so much. It’s the perfect blend of uncommon yet recognizable, we love that it’s short because our last name is 10 letters long, and I love the vintage vibe.

So far we haven’t found another that gives us the same feel for either boy or girl names. Our top contenders right now are:

Girls
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] - we both like the sound of it with [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and the meaning is lovely. There is a [name_f]Lena[/name_f] in DH’s family tree, which is cool. We’ve been pronouncing it LEE-na

Sylvie - we love the meaning, but not sure if it feels right with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. Is it more trendy than vintage? Would [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] with nn [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] work better?

Daphne - I love this name, DH is undecided. We both like the meaning though.

Willa - This is one we both keep wavering on. It seems like it should fit well, and my late father’s name was [name_m]William[/name_m] so it would be a lovely tribute.

Liana - We really love the floral meaning, but not sure if it has the same vintage charm as [name_f]Ada[/name_f].

June - I haven’t been able to convince DH about this one yet. I think it’s so cute. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister-in-law did once have a cat named [name_u]June[/name_u], but that was a few years ago.

Zelda - DH loves this name, but I worry about the [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] references. Plus, our nephew’s name is [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] and gets called “[name_m]Link[/name_m]” a lot…DH thinks that’s cool but I think it’s weird haha.

Boys
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] - I think the vintage feel is right. The meaning is fine.

Hugo - DH isn’t sold on it, but I think it’s cute. Our last name starts with H but I think they sound good together.

Milo - I haven’t run this past DH yet, but it’s been speaking to me lately

Ted - I’m really liking the name [name_m]Ted[/name_m] lately but I don’t know how I feel about naming a boy JUST [name_m]Ted[/name_m]. I’m usually not a fan of having a longer name just to get to a nickname, but would it be weird if he was just [name_m]Ted[/name_m]? I like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] okay, but it’s so long (our last name is long) and then people might call him [name_u]Theo[/name_u], which is cute but so popular.

Edmund - Another name that’s speaking to me lately, and I do know it could have the nn [name_m]Ted[/name_m], so maybe a good option. Definitely old-fashioned but more uncommon.

Zach - This was actually the boy name we had picked out for [name_f]Ada[/name_f] before we found out her gender. We’re not as in love with it as we were before. Partly I think because DH became friends with a former coworker named [name_m]Zach[/name_m], and although we don’t see him much (even pre-COVID) and the fact that he is a nice guy, it sort of ruins the name for me.

William - As I mentioned, this is my late father’s name and it would be lovely to honor him (he and I were really close). I’ve always thought I would use it as a middle name, but lately, I’ve been considering it more as a first name. But, it’s SO popular. I like “[name_m]Will[/name_m]” okay as a nn, not a fan of [name_u]Liam[/name_u] or [name_m]Bill[/name_m] (which is what my dad mostly went by).

Any opinions or other suggestions? I’m not so worried about middle names, as we’ll probably pick a family name.

PS: A few vintage names I love that are unusable due to family or friends already using are [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

I love your daughter’s name! You have many wonderful options.
I think my favourites with [name_f]Ada[/name_f] are [name_f]Lena[/name_f] (but it feels more fun + spunky than vintage, if that bothers you), [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] (definitely more vintage than trendy!), [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u]. But they all work well with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]!
I would also suggest: [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], [name_f]Calla[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Lenore[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Leonie[/name_f].
From your boys’ list, my favourites are [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. I think they all work except for maybe [name_m]Zach[/name_m] and [name_u]Milo[/name_u], which feel a lot more modern than your other choices, and [name_m]Ted[/name_m], which on its own sounds too much like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] (but is okay as a nickname to [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]).
Ideas: [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Archie[/name_m], [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_m]Lars[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_m]Maxim[/name_m], [name_u]Noel[/name_u], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Oswin[/name_m], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], [name_u]Percy[/name_u], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_u]Rex[/name_u], [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_m]Victor[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]

1 Like

Thank you! Those are some great options! Definitely quite a few to think about.

I’ve been liking [name_f]Flora[/name_f] a lot lately too, and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is lovely! [name_f]Vera[/name_f] was one we had discussed way back when as well that I forgot about! I love [name_f]Millie[/name_f], but DH isn’t sold on it. I also learned that [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] is a family name on my dad’s side (a LOT of ladies had it as either a first or middle name).

For boys, [name_m]Casper[/name_m] is ADORABLE! I will definitely need to mention it to DH. I also like [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] and [name_m]Victor[/name_m] a lot! [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Otto[/name_m] are family names too on my Dad’s side, so I have thought about those a bit too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there.

Ada is such a lovely name.

Here are my thoughts on the list:

Girls-

Lena-I like it a lot, & it totally fits w/Ada. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that some people will want to pronounce it [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-nuh? I know that [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-nuh is how you’re supposed to say it, but I personally want to say [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-nuh, because that’s how you say [name_f]Elena[/name_f].

Sylvie-I think it’s really cute & pixie-ish. It’s fairly old fashioned like [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. It just sounds a little spunkier. I do prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] myself. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]? If you like just [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] more, it’s a totally legit name.

Daphne-It’s really nice. Friendly & feminine, sweet & airy but still has some old fashioned substance if that makes sense.

Willa-It does fit well, & I love how it honors your dad. But if you don’t love it, you don’t love it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_u]Willow[/name_u] or [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] more? I love [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]!

Liana-Yeah, it seems kind of modern to me. Not my favorite.

June-I like it! It’s smart & quiet but still has that glamorous flapper type vibe that [name_f]Ada[/name_f] has. And the nn [name_f]Junie[/name_f] is adorable.

Zelda-Haha…I wouldn’t worry about the [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] & [name_m]Link[/name_m] thing. It’s kind of fun for cousins. Would definitely be too much for siblings. I don’t care for [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] though. It sounds heavy. What about [name_f]Zella[/name_f]?

A few girl suggestions that you may like:

Alice

Celia

Clara

Cora

Frances

Flora

Greta

Hattie

Lucy

Nora

Olive

Pearl

Phoebe

Rose

Ruth

Ruby

Stella

Thea

Boys-

Simon-I like it. It’s sweet & smart & charming. Not overly macho, but obviously masculine. Simple & well known, but not too popular.

Hugo-I like it in theory, but it just sounds a little goofy to me for some reason.

Milo-I like this! It’s similar to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], but somehow sounds sharper if that makes sense. In a good way. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it w/Ada.

Ted-I don’t care for just [name_m]Ted[/name_m]. It doesn’t quite feel like a nn that can get away as being a full name, but I guess it’s not completely unusable if you love it.

Edmund-Yes, [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ted[/name_m] totally works. I personally feel like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is a little stuffy & prefer [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] or [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. But a good solid classic none the less.

Zach-This is nice, but doesn’t sparkle. I prefer it as a nn anyway. [name_m]Zachary[/name_m], [name_m]Zacceus[/name_m] or [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] nn [name_m]Zach[/name_m] (or [name_m]Zac[/name_m]) are all really cool.

William-It’s a beautiful name, but it is way over done. And if you call him [name_m]William[/name_m], I feel like [name_m]Will[/name_m] may be at least somewhat unavoidable. I love [name_u]Billy[/name_u] myself, but that’s likely to get shorted to [name_m]Bill[/name_m].

A few boy ideas:

August/Gus/Augie

Bennett

Charlie

Clark

Ellis

George

Gwilym-too out there as a way to honor Grandpa?

Hugh/Hughie

Joel

Jude

Kit

Knox

Leo

Max

Noel

Otis

Oscar

Peter

Philip/Pip/Flip

Rafe

Rowan

Ronan

Silas

Winston

Wesley

Zeke

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think [name_f]Lena[/name_f] is the best girls’ name, as you say it’s one you both like and it fits perfectly with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. Your boys’ names are a bit trickier, but I think [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is a good fit. As you say, it has that vintage feel and is a lovely way to get the nickname [name_m]Ted[/name_m]. [name_m]William[/name_m] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f] would probably be nice middle names to honour your father if you aren’t sold on them as firsts.

1 Like

Thank you for the wonderful comments! I feel like you hit the nail on the head for all the thoughts going on in my head! I don’t hate [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] but I think I do prefer [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. But then again, [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] both end in “A” which is kind of cool. I’m kind of hoping [name_f]Willa[/name_f] will grow on me a little more because I do think it would be a perfect combo and tribute. [name_u]Willow[/name_u] doesn’t really do it for me, though it’s a lovely name. [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is super cute though, and I love the nickname [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]!

From your suggestions, I LOVE [name_f]Stella[/name_f] but DH cannot get onboard (he thinks everyone will shout STELLLLA at her :sweat_smile:). I am really liking [name_f]Flora[/name_f] lately though, and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is adorable! We both love the name [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], but that’s DH’s parents’ dog’s name.

From your boy’s list, [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is one I’ve been tossing around in my head, and I really like [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]! I’ve never heard of the name [name_m]Gwilym[/name_m]! I like it, but our last name is tricky for people to spell/pronounce so we really want our kids’ first names to be relatively easy to spell pronounce to make up for it haha

Thank you! We did consider [name_f]Willa[/name_f] as a possible middle if we don’t love it for the first name. Boy names are so much harder for me! I feel like there’s less to pick from haha. I do like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], and even the nickname [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] is growing on me if he were to prefer that to [name_m]Ted[/name_m].

1 Like

Oh, and I forgot to say that the pronunciation of [name_f]Lena[/name_f] is my one concern with the name. I think most people (at least where we are in the midwest) would probably tend to say [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-nuh instead of [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-nuh, but there probably would be few ppl who would say [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-nuh or even [name_m]Len[/name_m]-nuh. I’m not sure if that would be a deal breaker, but overall tricky spelling or pronunciation IS something we’re trying to avoid due to our last name.

Ada [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is such a lovely name! I can see how it feels like a tough act to follow, but you have a lot of amazing options here!

From your girls’ list, my favorites with [name_f]Ada[/name_f] are [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], and [name_u]June[/name_u]. Any of those three seems absolutely perfect as a sister for [name_f]Ada[/name_f], and they’re great names in their own right too! I know you have in mind to use family middles, but if [name_f]Willa[/name_f] would already be an honor name, [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] would be a delightful combo (and I adore it with your daughter’s name!). [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is darling (and I much prefer it to [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]) but it does seem a bit different from [name_f]Ada[/name_f] stylistically; I’d say the same about [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]. I really like both though. [name_f]Liana[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] don’t work quite as well with [name_f]Ada[/name_f], in my opinion, although they’re also nice choices.

From your boys’ list, my favorites are [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Milo[/name_u]. I think either goes nicely with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. I also like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] as a way of getting to [name_m]Ted[/name_m]–just [name_m]Ted[/name_m] isn’t speaking to me, although I do think it could work. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] are maybe about equal for me, with a slight edge to [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ted[/name_m]. [name_m]Zach[/name_m] is cool but doesn’t seem quite right with [name_f]Ada[/name_f], and [name_m]William[/name_m] would make an amazing honor name but does seem quite a bit more popular than [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. I do love it as a middle name.

Seconding the previous suggestions of: [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m]/Leon, [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. Overall, [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] gets my vote for a girl, with [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as runners-up. And I love the idea of [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] or [name_u]Gus[/name_u] [name_m]William[/name_m] for a boy! Good luck!

Ada and [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ted[/name_m]!

June fits so well with [name_f]Ada[/name_f] - soft and feminine, with great namesakes, and it’s short so it’s not overwhelming with your last name.

Just [name_m]Ted[/name_m] on a birth cert doesn’t seem substantial enough to me. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is really handsome and [name_m]Ted[/name_m] is cute with [name_f]Ada[/name_f].

1 Like

Firstly good luck with your TTC journey!

Ada Marie is a pretty name that feels very vogue. Ada is definitely a fashionable vintage choice I’m not sure where you are based but in the U.K. I think the name Ada is on the rise with the influence of Peaky Blinders, spunky sound essentially it’s a great name I can see why Ada gets a lot of love! I think as you’ve chosen so well with your first you’ll choose just as brilliantly with your potential second child :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Lena ~ love that it’s in the family tree, has a pretty sound and I think Ada & Lena sound great together it’s unexpected.

Sylvie ~ gorgeous! Completely get why you love Sylvie but I think she sounds kinda trendy with Ada despite making beautiful sister names. Personally not a massive fan of trendy I think Sylvia is less trendy with Ada.

Daphne ~ I’m with DH I feel undecided on this one

Willa ~ this is lovely and I love the tribute to your dad. I think Ada & Willa sound great together.

Liana ~ not sure feels to modern with Ada

June ~ personally I really like June I think she sounds great with Ada. I think the idea of June Willa or June Wilhelmina. I don’t think the cat thing is an issue as the cat I’m assuming is no longer here. Anyways love June!

Zelda ~ I like this one not sure on the name paired with Ada.

Suggestions:
Mina
Flora
Jane
Sadie
Juliet
Miriam
Charlotte
Polly
Daisy
Eve

My favourite from your girl list for you is June. I love the idea of June Wilhelmina.

Simon ~ great choice! Simon is soft & friendly really handsome name love with Ada.

Hugo ~ another fabulous choice and personally I really like alliteration.

Ted ~ Teddy is really popular in my area so I don’t see why Ted couldn’t work but I’m not a massive fan. Notice you’ve got Edmund on the list Ted could be a cool nickname.

Edmund ~ I think this is a cute vintage choice and I like with Ada. I think Ted makes a cute nickname.

Zach ~ it’s nice but prefer as a nickname especially as a nickname for Zachariah. Ada & Zachariah is cute.

William ~ absolutely love this! I love that it’s your fathers name and would be such a fitting tribute. William is strong and handsome I think despite William’s popularity he’s a classic so it’s not an issue for me he will always be popular. I like the nickname Will and also Willis could be a cool nickname. I think Ada & William would be great.

Suggestions:
Sebastian
Timothy
Peter
Miles
Finnegan
Jude
Robin
Maximilian
Wilbur
Ezekiel

My favourite from your boys list for you is William.

Good luck

1 Like

I love your daughter’s name and imo the best names from your lists that would match are
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Liana[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
For boys my favorites are
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

1 Like

I don’t care much for [name_u]Willow[/name_u] either. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] & [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] are way better. That’s hilarious that your husband is worried about the STELLLLA thing. I’m pretty sure that stereotype will only apply to people over the age of 80. But it’s always men who worry about outdated associations like that. :joy:

On another note, what about [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] to honor your dad? That’s much easier than [name_m]Gwilym[/name_m], but way less popular than [name_m]William[/name_m] or [name_u]Liam[/name_u].

Have you considered [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], or [name_f]Edith[/name_f] ( [name_f]Edie[/name_f]), [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f]. I think these would pair really well with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. Out of your boys names how about [name_m]Edward[/name_m] as you like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]? And you can use [name_m]Ted[/name_m] from [name_m]Edward[/name_m]?

1 Like

I understand why you love your daughter’s name so much, it pretty and classy!

You have lovely options for baby #2. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], and [name_f]Liana[/name_f].

Lena is another short, not to common name.
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] has the same vintage vibe, and I like that both names have a “da” sound.
[name_f]Liana[/name_f] has a soft feminine vibe like [name_f]Ada[/name_f].
For [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], I share you concerns, even though I love the game.
You mentioned liking [name_f]Flora[/name_f] - I love it with [name_f]Ada[/name_f], it’s my favorite option actually.

For boys, I am sold on [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. It’s vintage, the NN is cute and it just fit with [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. I also like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] a lot.

1 Like

Ooh I looove [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]!! That is a stunning combo!

I ran [name_m]Casper[/name_m] past DH and he couldn’t get past [name_m]Casper[/name_m] the ghost buuut I have 9+ months to work on him :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. He did like [name_f]Thea[/name_f] though!

2 Likes

Thank you! I totally agree about [name_m]Ted[/name_m] on it’s own. For some reason that name feels really incomplete without a full name to go with it

June [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is gorgeous!! I love pairing the short name with a longer middle! [name_f]Mina[/name_f] is really cute too! I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] but DH has an aunt named [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and while she’s lovely not sure how we feel about that.

I also like the alliteration with [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and our H last name! Maybe if our last was like [name_f]Helga[/name_f] or something it’d be weird haha. From your suggestions I also like [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u]!

1 Like

I actually didn’t think about the shared “da” in [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]! It does make it a nice combo!

1 Like

DH and I both love [name_f]Olive[/name_f], but one of our nephews is [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] so it’s much too close. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] are lovely vintage names! I love the nickname [name_f]Edie[/name_f]!

Edward doesn’t speak to me as much as [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. I had grandpa named [name_m]Edward[/name_m] but I didn’t really know him too well and I had an uncle named [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (went by [name_m]Ed[/name_m]) who was kind of a jerk, so it doesn’t have the best associations for me.