Help us name our boy!

My husband and I are at a complete standstill. Our son is ten weeks old !!! and we still can’t agree on his name. The only name my husband really likes is [name]Max[/name]. His last name is a harsh-sounding [name]German[/name] name, so I think with “[name]Max[/name]” it’s all a bit much – especially since he is 3/4 British.

It really bothers me that his last name doesn’t reflect his background more, so I was really hoping to find a name that seemed more “English”. I really like [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Griffin[/name], these sort of softer names. Our daughter has been calling her brother [name]Teddy[/name] (which we both like a lot, and which really suits him), so I’ve been trying to come up with name that [name]Teddy[/name] could be short for (but we don’t like [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name]). I thought we could call him [name]Aidan[/name], and then call him [name]Teddy[/name] for short – but hubby says he hates [name]Aidan[/name].

I’ve also tried to come up with names that I like that [name]Max[/name] could be short for, other than Maximiliam, [name]Maxwell[/name], [name]Maximo[/name] etc etc which I don’t like (maybe [name]Mason[/name], [name]Magnus[/name], [name]Maddox[/name] or [name]Cormac[/name]?) Husband not too keen on any of them. I feel like I’ve over-analyzed everything to the point where I’m just paralyzed, and my husband seems unable to compromise at all. Does anybody have any great ideas?

oops!

If I were you I would just name him [name]Teddy[/name]! Or [name]Ted[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you live in [name]England[/name]? I thought it was popular to use nicknames as the given name there.

I just thought of [name]Alfred[/name] with the nickname [name]Teddy[/name]. I think pretty much anything with ed in it could have the nickname [name]Teddy[/name]. Try searching for names that end in -ed!

I know you said you don’t like [name]Theodore[/name], but how about just [name]Theo[/name]?

Some “-ed” names:

[name]David[/name]/[name]Daved[/name]
[name]Evered[/name]
[name]Jared[/name]
[name]Wade[/name]/[name]Waed[/name]
[name]Zed[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]

[name]Teddy[/name] could also easily be derived from a name that starts with “T” such as:

[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Tanner[/name]
[name]Tennyson[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Thompson[/name]
[name]Tobin[/name]
[name]Tucker[/name]
etc.

Of course you don’t have to find a name that starts with T or has [name]Ed[/name] in it to call him [name]Teddy[/name]-- it could be a totally unrelated given name, like [name]Reid[/name] or [name]Forrest[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Max[/name] can be a nn for [name]Maxfield[/name].
[name]Teddy[/name] can be a nn for [name]Wilfred[/name]. I think [name]Wilfred[/name] is super cool.
A Welsh variation of [name]Theodore[/name] is [name]Tudor[/name]. [name]Tudor[/name] is cool, but it does sound like Tooter. You can look up both [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] on “check out a name” and see all the international versions of them. You might like one.

[name]Edward[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] are two of my fave names that I would use myself. Especially [name]Theodore[/name]. I wish my husband’s name were [name]Theodore[/name]. I would call him [name]Ted[/name].

love [name]Dove[/name]'s idea of [name]Frederick[/name]!

Also
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Ederick[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Edouard[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
Fredward - caveat: this is a made-up name - my daughter’s friend made it up.
[name]Reed[/name] - I love [name]Reed[/name]!
[name]Redford[/name]
[name]Siegfred[/name]
[name]Tedor[/name]
[name]Tedrick[/name] - I kind of like this - a lot!
[name]Theobald[/name]
[name]Thierry[/name]
You can go to “search for names”, the second in the list on the left hand side of the screen. Put in the letters “ed” or “ted” at the beginning or end of the name. Click “male” and go, then you will see a list of names. That’s how I got most of the above names.

These are wonderful, thoughtful ideas. Thanks for taking the time to write.

[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Thad[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Edison[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Edric[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]

I love [name]Edward[/name] & [name]Theodore[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Maxim[/name], Maxton, Maxley.

[name]Hi[/name] Namedame. :slight_smile: I’m so sorry you’re having name troubles, and I hope everything works out for you!

Have you thought about giving your baby boy a name with the initials [name]TED[/name], arriving at [name]Teddy[/name] that way?

For example, [name]Truman[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name], or [name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name]? Other names that could work in a combo: [name]Elias[/name], [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Davis[/name], etc.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Since [name]Teddy[/name] reminds me of a teddy bear why not name him [name]Arthur[/name]? [name]Arthur[/name] means [name]Bear[/name].

Such a cute idea! I have a teddy bear named [name]Teddy[/name]. I got him when I was two-years-old! He is the reason I love the name [name]Teddy[/name] so much.

Good thinking [name]Jill[/name]! And evanescencedolly too!
[name]Hope[/name] some of these suggestions will help you Namedame! Let us know what you decide!

Thanks, [name]Dove[/name]. :slight_smile: [name]Bree[/name], that’s a great idea about [name]Arthur[/name]! :slight_smile:

In case you want to go down that road-- you could go with any name that means “bear” such as [name]Bjorn[/name] or [name]Auberon[/name].

What about [name]Mac[/name], just [name]Mac[/name], as a British alternative to [name]Max[/name]? I think it’s a nice name that could stand on it’s own, despite being short, which may actually be an advantage growing up with a harsh, [name]German[/name] last name.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the [name]Apple[/name] computer association.

[name]Hi[/name] everyone.

Wow, what a mistake to wait until you HAVE the baby to name him. I’m so exhausted I can hardly remember my own name.

We are down to
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Gray[/name] Sch…
or
[name]Griffin[/name] [name]Edward[/name] Sch…

Good luck naming :slight_smile: [name]Both[/name] options are great. I prefer [name]Griffin[/name] to [name]Theodore[/name], but just my personal opinion :).

[name]Thibault[/name] and [name]Orson[/name] were the two names I was thinking about before I saw you had it narrowed down! Good luck!

You had your little boy? Congratulations! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Gray[/name]! (I think both choices are lovely, but I’m a huge [name]Theodore[/name] fan…)

Best wishes to you, Namedame! :slight_smile:

I would simply name your baby [name]Max[/name] [name]Edward[/name]. It sounds great and that has been his name so far, so why change it?

I don’t like griffin because it is a name for a gargoyle.

I think that [name]Max[/name] is as English as [name]John[/name] so I would have no hesitation in using it in an English or [name]German[/name] context.