Help us name our first little one!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone, my name is [name]Cate[/name] and my husband [name]Nick[/name] and I are expecting our first child in [name]March[/name]. I’ve just discovered this site and I’m so glad I did, because we’re kind of stuck on what to name this little one. We have a few ideas but nothing’s really popping out to us. My favorite boys name for a long time was [name]Tristan[/name], but it’s feeling a little worn out to me now that it’s time to actually put it to use. Girls names are also hard because we’re picky and just can’t seem to settle on anything! Could you suggest some names similar to the ones we like? Comments on the names on our lists also would be helpful. Our last name is [name]Berry[/name], which rules out some names and we’d like to avoid names ending in “ee” or that have intuitive nicknames ending in “ee” (i.e [name]Gabrielle[/name] --> [name]Gabby[/name] [name]Berry[/name]… not so good). Here are our very short lists:

Boys:
[name]Tristan[/name] - my longtime favorite that’s starting to feel stale.
[name]Christian[/name] - I’ve liked this since high school, but a) it’s quite popular and b) neither of us are religious (not sure if that’s a good or bad thing when it comes to this name).
[name]Owen[/name] - my husband’s favorite, but it’s pretty popular in our area.
[name]Devlin[/name] - an old family name on my side, [name]Nick[/name] worries it’s too feminine.
[name]Thatcher[/name] - for some reason this name keeps coming up in our name conversation, not sure if [name]Thatcher[/name] [name]Berry[/name] is too tongue-twistery.

Girls:
[name]Quinn[/name]- the frontrunner at the moment, I love that it’s simple and not overly feminine.
[name]Emma[/name] - my husband is in love with this name but it’s just so popular.
[name]Claire[/name] - I don’t think it goes with our last name, but I’ve always liked this one.
[name]Meredith[/name] - not sure I love this one yet, but we both like it a lot.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• [name]Cate[/name]

Congrats!
Boys:
[name]Tristan[/name] - I am not a huge fan of [name]Tristan[/name] (I think because it rhymes with [name]Kristen[/name]) but I know it is much loved by many Berries so you can’t go wrong with this historically rich name.
[name]Christian[/name] - I love this name! I am a [name]Christian[/name] so I would use this name, but if you don’t think it is weird than go for it!
[name]Owen[/name] - I adore this name! My fave of your list!
[name]Devlin[/name] - I have heard of this name before, but I see it being a fresh version of [name]Devon[/name].
[name]Thatcher[/name] - [name]Thatcher[/name] is a strong name. [name]Thatcher[/name] [name]Berry[/name] isn’t a tongue twister, it is nice!

Girls:
[name]Quinn[/name] - I only see this as a boys name.
[name]Emma[/name] - [name]Emma[/name] [name]Berry[/name] tends to run on for me: Emmab Erry…
[name]Claire[/name] - I love [name]Claire[/name]! [name]Just[/name] so you know that the nickname for [name]Claire[/name] is typically [name]Claire[/name]-[name]Bear[/name]! But without the nn [name]Claire[/name] [name]Berry[/name] would be nice.
[name]Meredith[/name] - I like this best of your list. [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Berry[/name] (just don’t shorten to [name]Merry[/name]!)

Boys:
[name]Tristan[/name] - this is #1 on our list; only one hubby and I both love
[name]Christian[/name] - don’t think it’s a good idea for a non-theist to use, honestly
[name]Owen[/name] - pretty good
[name]Devlin[/name] - looks too made up [name]IMO[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name] - like

Girls:
[name]Quinn[/name]- my fave unisex name, though I don’t care for unisex in general much
[name]Emma[/name] - eh, feels insubstantial to me
[name]Claire[/name] - love; don’t know about it with your LN though
[name]Meredith[/name] - love! If it weren’t for DH this would be in my top 3

Others:

[name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Kyle[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Faith[/name]
[name]Gillian[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Kirsten[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]

We named our son [name]Noah[/name] & neither of us are religious. We just loved the name. If you like a name, just go with it-Good [name]Luck[/name]!

From your list I like:

Boys:
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]

Girls:
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]

[name]Hi[/name], Congrats! I have an [name]Owen[/name], so i am biased to the name, but with your list I really like [name]Devlin[/name] and [name]Thatcher[/name]! I think it is very cool that [name]Devlin[/name] is a family name and [name]Thatcher[/name] [name]Berry[/name] sounds so cool and sophisticated. I do not think [name]Devlin[/name] sounds feminine at all and [name]Thatch[/name] is a great nickname! Girls- I like [name]Quinn[/name].

Best!

The prettiest girl at my university was named [name]Devlin[/name], would you consider it for a girl’s name?

She graduated and went to Hollywood, but ultimately decided her morals couldn’t tolerate what they wanted in order to make it big so she came home. I wonder what she’s up to now.

From your list, I like [name]Tristan[/name] best for a boy and [name]Meredith[/name] for a girl. My sister is [name]Meredith[/name] and she’s never been called [name]Merry[/name]. But, I think that nn is enough to have to cross that one off your list. My other sister is [name]Elaine[/name]. That would go nicely with your ln. My brother is [name]Grant[/name]. Another good choice. :slight_smile: