Help us narrow down our list?

We’re expecting baby #2 in [name_u]June[/name_u] and we’re working on narrowing down our name lists. We don’t know yet if we’re having a boy or girl, but I like to be prepared. haha Below is the list of names we’ve tossed around, some with middle names. Which ones would you keep or drop? Any pairings you would switch up, perhaps? [name_f]Sister[/name_f] is named [name_u]Adley[/name_u].

[name_m]Bowen[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m]–[name_m]John[/name_m] is an honor name, so it shows up a lot on our list. [name_u]Everett[/name_u] we like, but mostly stuck in there to avoid the BJ initials (it would be noticed by people we know and I don’t want to deal with that)
[name_u]Barrett[/name_u] [name_u]Leland[/name_u]–not 100% certain on [name_u]Barrett[/name_u]; love [name_u]Leland[/name_u], but sounds like a combination of our twin niece and nephew’s names ([name_f]Leah[/name_f] and [name_u]Landon[/name_u]), so would have to stay in the middle probably
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]–[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Jack[/name_m], especially since it has a connection to [name_m]John[/name_m], but it’s so popular, which I really don’t like. [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is one my husband is fond of. I’m ok with it.
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m]–[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], but slightly worried about people pronouncing it “rice.”
[name_m]Truett[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]–this is the newest edition; it was received quite warmly here, but is rather uncommon, probably the most uncommon on either list we have, so we’re still a little unsure of it. Like the nickname [name_u]True[/name_u].
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] OR [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m]–I adore [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and husband is fond of it, too. It’s not in the top 100 in our state, but I do worry a bit about a spike in popularity as it ranks relatively high nationally
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]–the very first combo I fell in love with, especially with nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u]; doesn’t include [name_m]John[/name_m], which isn’t a deal breaker, but would be nice

Other names we’ve liked, as either first names or middle names:
[name_m]Lochlan[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Knox[/name_m]
[name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]

2 Likes

Firstly congratulations :partying_face::partying_face:

Bowen [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] ~ [name_m]Bowen[/name_m] is a handsome choice I think it works well with [name_u]Adley[/name_u]. I like [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] as well completely get why you want avoid BJ initials!

Barrett [name_u]Leland[/name_u] ~ not a favourite of mine feels like a brand name

Jack [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] ~ love this one! [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is such a soft handsome choice really happy sounding and I think he sounds great with [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]. I think [name_m]Jack[/name_m] & [name_u]Adley[/name_u] are cute together.

Rhys [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] ~ I wouldn’t worry about the [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]/Rice thing I think the pronunciation of [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] is relatively simple so wouldn’t worry. I think [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] sounds great with [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]. I like [name_u]Adley[/name_u] & [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] together.

Truett [name_m]John[/name_m] ~ [name_m]Truett[/name_m] is a rather fashionable name that feels very on trend with [name_u]Adley[/name_u].

Rowan ~ I love this name!!! [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is such a handsome nature name it’s wholesome and my favourite option would be [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] I think it’s lovely.

From your ‘short list’ my favourites are [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] & [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m].

From your contenders list I really like [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] prefer [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] spelling wise, [name_m]Knox[/name_m], [name_u]Callum[/name_u] & [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. But you’ve got a relatively long list so if these aren’t made it on the short list I would dismiss them and focus on your combinations already made up.

Good luck

1 Like

Bowen [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]/John are my favorite combos from your list! I think all three match well with your daughter’s name and I love the nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]! Despite it’s popularity, I still think [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is a very timeless name.

1 Like

@tori101 Thank you! Your comment about [name_u]Barrett[/name_u] [name_u]Leland[/name_u] legitimately made me laugh. I had never thought of it sounding like a brand name, but I can see it. lol As far as [name_m]Jack[/name_m] goes, that is exactly why I love the name! It has always sounded soft and happy to me, too.

@abby_gail_t I agree, [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is very timeless, which is why it stays so popular I think. At the moment, I only know one [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and he’s…5 or 6, but it was #30 in our state last year, so I’m sure there are plenty more out there. haha

1 Like

Bowen [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] is stunning! I love it!

Rowan [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] would be my second choice

1 Like

Love [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], and [name_m]Truett[/name_m] of your first name choices, and all the combinations with those names are beautiful. I think [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] is probably my favorite overall, absolutely stunning.

1 Like

Maybe you could pair some of the names you like in a different way. Perhaps:

Leland [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Truett[/name_m] [name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Barrett[/name_u]

Or maybe some of your names paired with a different name:

Rowan [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_u]Tyler[/name_u]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Weston[/name_m]
[name_m]Bowen[/name_m] [name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]

2 Likes

[name_u]Rhys[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] get my votes!

Edit: oh and Everett, how could I forget about that!

1 Like

WOW! You will have a very handsomely named baby. Congratulations by the way. :two_hearts: [name_m]Truett[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] stuck out to me. Such a nice name. Also any of your [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] combos are a top fav for me, as those were almost our boy’s middles. I really, really love [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Bowen Everett John–I really like this combo! I think it goes nicely with Adley.
Barrett Leland–I like each of these names individually, but honestly I don’t love them together.
Jack Emerson–This is such a dashing combo, and I think Jack is popular for very good reason! That said, it does feel a little expected next to Adley.
Rhys Everett John–This one is great too! I’m not sure where you are, but I could definitely see Rhys being mispronounced “rice” in my area. It’s not a hard pronunciation to correct, though, so I don’t think it needs to be a dealbreaker if you love it!
Truett John–I really like this with Adley, and True is an adorable nickname! I like the balance between more modern Truett and classic John. I also think you could slip Leland in here (Truett Leland John) if you wanted to, since you seem really enthusiastic about it as a middle!
Rowan Everett John–I really love this combo! Nature-y Rowan + modern Everett + classic John = a winning trio, imo! I can see it becoming a bit more popular, but I don’t think it’s destined for the top of the charts. I think this works great with Adley!
Rowan Rhys–I love the alliteration of this, but I think I prefer your other Rowan combination.

I like pretty much the entire rest of your list, but I don’t think I prefer any of them over Truett John or Rowan Everett John with your daughter’s name!

2 Likes

I like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] a lot. I’m not sure about [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] being pronounced like rice, I don’t think it would be that much of an issue if at all, but you know your area best. I also like [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] or [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m].

From your other names I like [name_u]Callum[/name_u], [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] has a nice sound to it.

1 Like

I’d drop [name_m]Bowen[/name_m], [name_u]Barrett[/name_u], [name_m]Truett[/name_m] and maybe [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. The others are really fabulous options, especially [name_m]Jack[/name_m] :heart:, [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Callum[/name_u]. In general, if your surname is is short, [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] works particularly well. I also generally like [name_m]Jack[/name_m] or [name_m]Bram[/name_m] with a multisyllable surnames. [name_m]Bram[/name_m] is more unusual like [name_u]Adley[/name_u].

1 Like

Rowan [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] are my favourites. I don’t know where you are but the [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] pronunciation shouldn’t be too much of an issue, some may need correcting but it’s an established enough name.

1 Like

I like for you:
[name_m]Bowen[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] (cute first, not too popular, honor middle)
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] (:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:Jack… but if popularity is an issue, maybe you could flip it to be [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] [name_m]Jack[/name_m]?)
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] (I think [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] is common enough to have most people pronounce it right)
[name_m]Truett[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] (sweet and quirky)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m]/Rowan [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m]/Rowan [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] (I have a fondness for [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], don’t think you can go wrong with the middles!)

I like your alternates too, but [name_m]Bowen[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] is my personal favorite!

1 Like

Bowen [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] is so handsome and dreamy!! :heart_eyes:
I’m also very fond of [name_u]Leland[/name_u]! Such a nice name, but I understand why it may become confusing if used as a fn.

1 Like

Bowen [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] get my vote. Both are wonderful handsome combos that go well with [name_u]Adley[/name_u]. I slightly prefer [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. I also like jack [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] or [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m], [name_u]Callum[/name_u], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] and [name_m]Truett[/name_m] get honorable mention.

1 Like

Thank you all SO much for your feedback! It has definitely helped us narrow down the list some already!

@Kytana23 Thank you for the different combo suggestions! Definitely some in there we hadn’t thought of and like! Hadn’t considered [name_m]Jack[/name_m] in the middle, not sure why. haha I’ll definitely have to bring that up to my husband.

@WildroseofJuillet Thank you! [name_m]Truett[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] has really stuck out to us, too. It just feels very different from the rest, so we hadn’t settled on exactly what we thought of it yet. haha

@EJK1720 Our surname is 2 syllables, so not punchy, one syllable short, but not long either. haha I forget sometimes that [name_u]Adley[/name_u] is unusual because it sounds like many other common names, so thanks for the reminder! It helps to balance some of our more unusual boy choices.

@tfzolghadr I forget how uncommon [name_u]Adley[/name_u] is most of the time. We say all the time that it’s uncommon, but feels familiar, like you mentioned [name_m]Truett[/name_m] feeling. [name_m]Truett[/name_m] may be the perfect match with [name_u]Adley[/name_u] style-wise and we just didn’t realize it. I love your two recommendations, as well. [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandfather was actually named [name_u]Merritt[/name_u], so that has family connections too.

@river_dweller I find [name_u]Leland[/name_u] so handsome, but it definitely isn’t all that popular, not even on here. haha It’s nice to see someone else appreciating it, too!

1 Like

Well obviously as one of the fastest rising boy and girl names [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is to be avoided if you’re in any way concerned about popularity, the name is booming. I know so many [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and Romans born in the past couple of years. Before that I didn’t know any. The actual charts reflect this and you can see huge upswings on the graphs in numbers and that looks set to continue and it looks set to go top 50 soon. When there’s so many lovely names to pick from I’d avoid a name like [name_m]Roman[/name_m] or [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] that’s the epitome of 2020 trendy. I kind of laugh each time I hear of another baby with this name. But who cares what I think. It just depends if having a few boys and girls in a class called Rowan and boys called Roman would take the shine off the names a bit for you and make it feel less special or not

Worth noting also that if you add up the boy and girl numbers, the name may well have entered the top 100 in your state. When there’s quite a lot of each gender the name appears lower in the charts than it actually should if that makes sense

Jack [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_m]Truett[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m], and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] are my favorites! :heart: I think all three are so, so lovely with [name_u]Adley[/name_u]. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]’s my favorite in general, but that’s because [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]’s my favorite boys’ name. lol. I adore [name_u]Adley[/name_u] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] together; I think it’s a fabulous sibset combination.

I think [name_u]Adley[/name_u] and [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_u]Adley[/name_u] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u], and [name_u]Adley[/name_u] and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] are all fabulous, too.

Good luck!

1 Like

Favourite is [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] or just [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m].

Adley & [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] sound really nice together

1 Like