Help! Very picky name-seekers with bilingual challenge

After searching through what seems like millions of names, I have only found 3 girl names that I really liked but they have all been rejected by my husband (for legitimate reasons i have to admit).

We want a name that has the same or almost the same pronunciation in English and Spanish (this especially means no ‘J’ or ‘H’ names because of the change in sound.)

I prefer 2-3 syllable names.

These are the 3 names considered but decided against for different reasons. Maybe they will provide a slight glimpse into the style I like- i know it’s not much to go on!

[ul]

[/ul]

Any ideas or inspiration would be extremely appreciated!

[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Alisa[/name]
[name]Alise[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
Aloise
[name]Ana[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Esma[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]

I’m in the same boat for daughter number two. I have the same criteria for Spanish and English pronunciation. My daughter’s name is [name]Eliana[/name] (el-ee-ah-na) and we absolutely love it. It means God has answered. We always receive complements on her name.

Others we’ve considered along the way…
[name]Juliana[/name] ([name]Julia[/name]): Yes this is a J name but we think it’d be easy enough to correct the spanish speakers to the way we want it pronounced
[name]Adriana[/name]
[name]Camila[/name]
[name]Elisa[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] (similar to [name]Lena[/name])
[name]Lucia[/name]

[name]Alba[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] (slightly different, but I think you can pronounce [name]Clara[/name] like KLA-ra in English, too, it’s just not as common in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] as [name]CLAIR[/name]-a is)
[name]Leonor[/name] (I’d put the stress in different parts depending on the language but I like both LEH-o-nor, and leh-o-[name]NOR[/name]… it’d never occur to me to pronounce it like [name]LEE[/name]-uh-nor, but I’m not sure if that’d be a normal, instinctive pronunciation in English…?)
[name]Nuria[/name]
[name]Sabina[/name]
[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Ariadna[/name]
[name]Carla[/name]/ [name]Carlota[/name]
[name]Emelina[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Marta[/name]
[name]Mireya[/name] (a difference in the I sound, probably, because I bet most English-speakers would pronounce it with an “uh” sound but I think it could still work)
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Sonia[/name]

Good luck! And I’d love to hear what you pick :slight_smile:

[name]Selah[/name]- [name]Salma[/name], [name]Selma[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Melina[/name], [name]Alma[/name], [name]Anya[/name], [name]Anka[/name], [name]Gioia[/name], [name]Hadley[/name], [name]Kaia[/name], [name]Kaya[/name], [name]Kira[/name], [name]Layla[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Estrella[/name], [name]Theresa[/name], [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name]- [name]Elena[/name], [name]Maya[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Aleah[/name], [name]Aliyah[/name], [name]Leah[/name], Attarrah, Atarrah, [name]Adele[/name], [name]Dehlia[/name], [name]Adina[/name], [name]Freya[/name], [name]Raya[/name], [name]Minka[/name], [name]Mila[/name], [name]Noa[/name], [name]Rosa[/name], [name]Shay[/name], [name]Tyra[/name], [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]- [name]Lana[/name], [name]Alanna[/name], [name]Loni[/name], [name]Luna[/name], [name]Lara[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Ina[/name], [name]Ada[/name], [name]Ida[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Kenna[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Lita[/name], [name]Leda[/name], [name]Lisa[/name], [name]Liza[/name], [name]Mona[/name], [name]Raina[/name], [name]Zara[/name]

I’m not sure these will work, but some of these could have seperate pronunciations!

[name]Aaliyah[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Alaina[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Geneva[/name]
[name]Halle[/name]
[name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Karina[/name]

We also had a similar issue. Being named [name]Meryl[/name] and living in Madrid sucked. I was highly sensitive to how latinos mispronounced my name so when i chose my daughters names I wanted it the name to sound beautiful in both languages.

some from my list:
[name]Valentina[/name]
violetta
[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Dalia[/name]

[name]Selena[/name] perhaps?

First, thank you all for taking the time to come up with some ideas! It was really fun to go through them. I am open to more unusual-sounding names than my husband. He would consider ‘[name]Amaya[/name]’ exotic-sounding even though I didn’t think so.

I am going to add these to the possibility list:

• [name]Dalia[/name]
  • [name]Lucia[/name]
  • [name]Elena[/name]
  • [name]Raya[/name] - i liked the idea of this name and it gave me the idea to do a search for that name ending. i think we both liked the sound but the ‘maya’ part didn’t work for us.
  • [name]Selena[/name] - i’ve seen this name many times before but not sure why i didn’t consider it. I guess i tend towards the shorter names but 3 syllables isn’t bad;)

Keep them coming!!! If this is helpful, my son’s name is [name]Colin[/name]. (the vowel sounds change with this name from english to spanish but it worked for us because the spanish pronunciation sounded like my middle name [name]Colleen[/name] and that’s something my husband really liked about it.) I know you Nameberries are fantastic with pairing sibling names as well…

I want to second the suggestion of [name]Mila[/name], and also throw out [name]Milena[/name].

[name]Rena[/name] / [name]Rina[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Daniela[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Adelina[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Yulia[/name] / [name]Yuliana[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Noemie[/name]
[name]Mayra[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]

[name]Araceli[/name]
[name]Amara[/name]
[name]Maria[/name]

[name]Love[/name] [name]Amaya[/name]! Would [name]Maya[/name] sound a bit tamer to your husband?

[name]Clara[/name], [name]Esme[/name] or [name]Iris[/name] would be lovley. :slight_smile:

[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Katerina[/name]
[name]Adriana[/name]
[name]Ariella[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]