Help! What name is best?

Hi Nameberry! I’m writing a story right now and I don’t know what to name my character. I have compiled a list of names. She is rather ferocious and a bit cruel at times. Thanks in advance!

Ismene
Beatrix
Terra
Livia
Alexis
Julia

1 Like

[name_f]Ismene[/name_f] would be good, because there is the nickname “Issy”, for people close to her. I really like nicknames for close friends and family, so that is a plus for me.
Personally, I don’t really like the name [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], but I can see how others do. I don’t think it suits your character, however.
[name_f]Terra[/name_f] is good, but it doesn’t bring ferocity to the front of my mind when I hear it.
[name_f]Livia[/name_f] sounds like a nice, calm person, although that could be just me (Because every time I hear it, I think of [name_f]Livia[/name_f] Blackthorn from ‘The Dark Artifices’).
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u] is good, and I do think it suits this character.
[name_f]Julia[/name_f], like [name_f]Livia[/name_f], makes me think of calm.

[name_f]My[/name_f] pick would probably be [name_f]Ismene[/name_f]. I really like all these names though, and think any of them would be a good match.

1 Like

Seconding [name_f]Ismene[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Ismene for sure! it sounds like it would fit imo, plus the character in the play Antigone is pretty aggressive in her choices & actions so that’s a cool connection !

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

my top two for her are [name_f]Livia[/name_f] and Beatrix!! They both have the strong, fiery sounds and sound powerful and fierce!

[name_u]Alexis[/name_u] is next, but I don’t like it as much, maybe because of the popularity and it’s just not my personal style, but it means “helper” or “defender” so it’s still up there!

[name_f]Julia[/name_f] feels sweet and kind to me and I don’t love [name_f]Terra[/name_f]

[name_f]Ismene[/name_f] tho!! It’s AWESOME! means knowledgeable and it just an overall cool name and I love it it feels like a queen

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] fits that description well!

i love [name_f]Ismene[/name_f] for your character!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] pick is [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]! Other two choices are [name_f]Ismene[/name_f] and [name_f]Terra[/name_f].

[name_f]Terra[/name_f]!

Hmm, well, [name_f]Ismene[/name_f], if I’m pronouncing it right, seems kinda close to “is meanie” which seems a bit on-the-nose. I would definitely eliminate [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. It’s a very sweet, friendly name, IMO! Second, I would eliminate [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. It’s leans cottagecore/quirky to me. If you have the story set in modern day, I think [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] is a good fit. It’s a powerful-sounding name. [name_f]Livia[/name_f] works well, too. [name_f]Terra[/name_f] would work but doesn’t sound as right as [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] or [name_f]Livia[/name_f] to me. Good luck!

1 Like