Help With A Name Change

I’ve recently been thinking about going by my middle name, [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], since my first name is hard to pronounce and most people misspell/mispronounce it and it’s annoying to always have to correct people. Does anyone have any tips for going by a new name? I have never gone by [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] before so any tips for learning to respond to a new name? Any nicknames for [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]? Btw, I’m moving to a new place which is the reason for me wanting to start fresh since I don’t know anyone

1 Like

[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is lovely! I would reccomend you change your name from your former name to your new name on your social medias and things like LinkedIn and Gmail. Then just tell all your friends what you would prefer to be called (maybe change it legally?)! For nicknames, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Lana[/name_f], and [name_u]Laney[/name_u] come to mind as nicknames. It’s good that you’re moving to a new place, so it won’t be confusing. Good luck!

3 Likes

Nn
[name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ana[/name_f]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is such a nice name! You could try it out in some low-pressure contexts, like when ordering at cafes/coffee shops, just to get used to saying it as your name a little bit. And changing social media handles is also a good suggestion, from previous comment!

In a new place, if you just introduce yourself with the new name it should be pretty seamless.

1 Like

I’d practice thinking of yourself as Eliana, just to get used to it. And maybe go to a cafe or somewhere and give your name as Eliana for some practice :slight_smile:

Ella
Lia
Ana
Lini
Lana
Lena
Elia

If you’ve got any coffee shops near you that ask for your name when you order a drink, order one with [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] so you can hear a stranger say it.

[name_m]Set[/name_m] up a new email account so you’ve got one with [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] as your first name.

Get it settled in your head, maybe try talking to yourself with it - call yourself [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] a lot.

Change it on social media, write it down, use it as much as possible.

Nicknames for [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]: [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Ana[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f]

3 Likes

It’s much easier going by a new name in a new setting. When meeting new people just introduce yourself as “Eliana”. You don’t need to explain to anyone that it’s your middle name, or why you prefer it.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you plan on legally changing it, or are you comfortable with it being your middle name? For more professional settings, you would still have to use your legal first name though (employment (for payroll and taxes), medical, any government documents). In regards to your social medias, you could always do X. [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] [surname] as well.

As for tips, just practice using it. Go to places that require you to give them a name (Starbucks as suggested), tell a few close friends that you want to be referred to as [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]. Eventually it will become second nature.

2 Likes

I’m still a minor so and my parents aren’t comfortable with me legally changing it. I’m probably going to legally change it once I turn 18 but for now it will just be my middle name. I’m worried about roll call at school. I’m awful at correcting people (hence the reason for the name change) so I’m not sure how to make sure they get the info about my name.

If you’re able to meet your teachers before classes start, you could let them know that you want to be referred to by your middle name, [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] if you’re able to speak with head office, they might be able to help you get your preferred name changed on the roster.

1 Like