help with a name

My wife will probably read this, but here goes. I like the name, first and middle,Isen [name]Ryker[/name] for one of our twin boys. My wife does not. Can I have some professional input?

I think Isen [name]Ryker[/name] sounds very, very macho. Some people love macho names, but I prefer classic names or old-fashioned names that sound gentlemanly for boys. I think that when men have names that are super macho, they seem kind of unapproachable. So here are some less macho names that I love:
Classic Names for Boys
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Old-fashioned, gentlemanly names for boys
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Elliott[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Kenneth[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

There are always the rowdy, Celtic boys names:
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Niall[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]

Cowboy names are macho but playful:
[name]Jake[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name] (nn for [name]Ezekiel[/name])
I will try to think of more cowboy names

I actually really like Isen, but [name]Ryker[/name] does feel a little heavy/trendy. I think it’s the association with the ultra-macho [name]Star[/name] Trek character. Sticking with an ‘r’, you might try balancing Isen with something like [name]Rainer[/name], or even [name]Rayner[/name] if you want the y. I also like [name]Ramsey[/name], [name]Randall[/name] for a more traditional spin, or [name]Rigel[/name] for a more unique sound (it’s a star in the [name]Orion[/name] constellation).

It is nice to have a Dad on the boards, welcome.

What is the name of your other twin so we can find a good match for you.

I think you need to sound nervous about Isen [name]Ryker[/name]. I have never heard of these names ever.

[name]Owen[/name] [name]Ryder[/name] would be a good compromise here.
other suggestions

[name]Evan[/name] [name]Parker[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Asher[/name] [name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Orion[/name] [name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Orson[/name] [name]Richard[/name]
[name]George[/name] [name]Rio[/name]
[name]Erik[/name] [name]Preston[/name]

Best wishes

I don’t think Isen [name]Ryker[/name] is quite the right name for your baby. Isen is a little out there, and [name]Ryker[/name] . . . well, it’s a jail in NY, for starters.
But let’s back up and look at the feel of the name that you’re going for. I don’t think you’re completely off track at all. The sounds of Isen [name]Ryker[/name] flow well and have a good balance. You’ve chosen a softer (but clearly masculine name up front), one that is rather distinctive and not popular at all. And then you paired it with somethig very strong sounding in the middle that also has a more familiar vibe to it (sounds like a lot of other names that are very popular right now). I think the suggestion of [name]Owen[/name] [name]Ryder[/name] is getting back in the right direction. Not sure [name]Owen[/name] is the right name for you though because it is perhaps more popular in the first name spot than you might like.

There are also a lot of other really great names that have already been suggested. You should go through them carefully and let us know which ones jump out at you and then we could help you more with combos as well as other names in the same style so that you can end up with a good solid list to present to your wife.

Some other suggestions you might want to consider:
Names that remind me of Isen (soft, yet masculine; short and to the point, not too common)
[name]Asa[/name]
[name]Eli[/name] (or [name]Elias[/name])
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Ephraim[/name]

Names that remind me of [name]Ryker[/name]'s feel (edgy and strong, with a familiar feel)
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Walker[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Weston[/name]
[name]North[/name]

Another thing you might want to consider is incorporating something of personal significance into the name (honoring a family member or friend, a name taken from a favorite author or musician or after a favorite character from a song or book, a name reminiscent of a special place, etc . . . ). Definitely let us know what sources of inspiration you might want to use and everyone here can brainstorm on ways to work that into the name as well.

[name]Hi[/name] all,

First, I would like to say thank you. I have come up with another to put in the mix. Chiron. Isen Chiron is well … Chiron as a first name might work.

as someone above mentioned - if you live anywhere near NYC - stay away from [name]Ryker[/name]!!! It’s not a positive association.

Thanks very much for the feedback, again you have given a name that I have not heard of, however, it reminds me very much of [name]Orion[/name] but I am getting the word cry coming into my mind everytime I read Chiron.

What do you think of our brainstorming so far, are you in favour of us finding a similar match or are you set on the names you have put forward?

Can you please let us know if you have decided on the other twins name and if so what will he/she be named?

[name]Hi[/name]! Twin boys? [name]How[/name] wonderful! :slight_smile:

Isen: I’ve not heard this name before, but my first honest thought was that it sounds a bit like the word “icing” to me.

[name]Ryker[/name]: I only think of the prison in NYC. You may also like [name]Ryder[/name].

Because both names have two syllables, Isen [name]Ryker[/name] doesn’t flow very well to me, but that’s just me. :slight_smile:

Chiron: I’ve not heard of this name either, but Isen Chiron doesn’t flow well to me because both names have two syllables and the name ending sound.

Names you may like:

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Abbott[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Pierson[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Shepherd[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Whittaker[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]

Names that sound close to Isen to me:

[name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Brice[/name]
[name]Carson[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Jensen[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name]
[name]Pierson[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
[name]Tyson[/name] (although I think of [name]Mike[/name]) :slight_smile:

If you like Chiron, you may also like [name]Kieran[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like Chiron too! I’m a big fan of astronomical names. But yes, Isen Chiron don’t work well together. Also, the problem with Chiron is that people will always be pronouncing it wrong (I was taught KIGH-ron). I think Chiron would be a great middle name with a different first name, but Isen is so fabulous you shouldn’t give it up.