Help with baby #15!!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!
This is my first post
We have quite an unusually large family, but please don’t judge us, we’re not the Duggans! [name_f]My[/name_f] two older sisters, may they rest in peace, died suddenly ten years ago and both left their children to me and my wife, and then we had kids of our own and we adopted some twins who needed a home… And so now here we are with a big old house of fourteen!
Now to the point, although of course I didn’t name all my children, me and my sisters luckily have very similar taste, but the problem now is that we are a bit stumped what to call our latest addition. We’ve just found out he’ll be a boy, but every name we think of sounds too similar to one of our other kids.

We’re very open to any and all suggestions - we like neglected classics, and my wife is Irish so Irish names are an option but not required. I don’t really like surnames for names, or other relatively new names, I prefer names with a long heritage, of any nationality, but I often veer towards the Brits naming trends.

Ideally we’d love a name that’s familiar although underused. I believe it’s called a sweet spot name here?

Here are our other kids names for reference:
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Imelda[/name_f]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_f]Zuleika[/name_f] (‘Zulu’) [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]
Geneviève [name_u]Joyce[/name_u]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] (’[name_u]Rory[/name_u]’) [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_u]Fionn[/name_u] [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]
[name_m]Tadhg[/name_m] [name_m]Redmond[/name_m]

Thanks berries!

Firstly… Congratulations… :slight_smile:

[name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Imelda[/name_f]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_f]Zuleika[/name_f] (‘Zulu’) [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]
Geneviève [name_u]Joyce[/name_u]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] (’[name_u]Rory[/name_u]’) [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_u]Fionn[/name_u] [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]
[name_m]Tadhg[/name_m] [name_m]Redmond[/name_m]

And…for the latest addition… Im thinking maybe… [name_m]George[/name_m]/ [name_m]Jorge[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Tomas[/name_m], [name_u]Shane[/name_u], [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] *[name_u]Joey[/name_u] for nickname, [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m] / [name_m]Albion[/name_m] * [name_m]Albie[/name_m] for nickname, [name_m]Colm[/name_m], [name_m]Ruadhan[/name_m] *addy? ( Im not sure how this is said but i like how unusual it looks), [name_m]Brendan[/name_m], [name_m]Julian[/name_m], [name_m]Padraig[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], Oisín, [name_m]Cillian[/name_m], [name_m]Jose[/name_m], [name_m]Ciar[/name_m]án, [name_u]Ashton[/name_u], [name_m]Gunner[/name_m]/[name_m]Gunnar[/name_m], [name_m]Soren[/name_m], [name_u]Rylan[/name_u]/[name_m]Ryland[/name_m], [name_m]Harlen[/name_m]/[name_m]Harlan[/name_m], [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Mitchell[/name_m] * [name_m]Mitch[/name_m], [name_m]Brody[/name_m]/[name_m]Brodie[/name_m], [name_m]Miles[/name_m]/[name_m]Myles[/name_m], [name_m]Lorenzo[/name_m] *[name_m]Enzo[/name_m]? Or just [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] on its own… Errm… [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_u]Nico[/name_u], [name_m]Danton[/name_m]? (not heard this before), [name_m]Dalton[/name_m]/[name_m]Daulton[/name_m], [name_u]Blake[/name_u], [name_u]Blaine[/name_u], [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]… [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps i tried to fomd some underused ones… but keeping it similar in style. :slight_smile:

Thanks, we’re very excited! Definitely our last so savouring every moment :slight_smile:

First off, I love [name_m]Cillian[/name_m], [name_m]Oisin[/name_m], [name_m]Brendan[/name_m] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] but all are relatives of my DW (is that how we refer to spouses on here? Sorry I’m such a newbie!)

We live in a very Latino area so as much as I love [name_m]Jorge[/name_m], he’d be one of a dozen Jorges when he gets to kindergarten.

Ooh [name_m]Albie[/name_m] and [name_u]Shane[/name_u] are definitely on the list of possibles! Thanks

From [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] downwards I’m afraid they’re all a little “new” and preppy for my personal taste, but thank you so much, all ideas are really genuinely appreciated, with me being so fussy and the DW having so many relatives who have all my fave names, it’s hard to find the perfect name!

Sorry but I find this incredibly hard to believe. It seems unlikely that someone with fourteen kids (most of whom were adopted through unplanned circumstances) would have the space, time or money to raise another.

Excuse me but I don’t think it is any of your business asking about a parents ability to take on another child @renrose. I think it’s great that they are willing to take care of their sisters children like they were their own and they have every right to welcome another child into this earth if they so chose.

Sorry back to names now…
First off congrats on your baby boy I would suggest naming him…
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]
[name_m]Fergus[/name_m]
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]
[name_u]Stanley[/name_u]
[name_m]Conan[/name_m]
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_m]Dawson[/name_m]
[name_m]Gordon[/name_m]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m]
[name_m]Abner[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]

She asked a question, and never said they had no right to do it, it’s an honest question. I ask the same about the Duggar family, as do a lot of people. Regardless though, there’s no need to get defensive :slight_smile:

Actually, as a mod of this website, it is my business to question improbable stories and - you have to admit - it’s quite a story.

You’re not alone renrose, many are incredulous if not disapproving of us having another baby, it was, as they say, a happy accident. We live fairly simply in a cheaper part of town and some of our older kids are in their 20s and 30s, so we’ve a fair few breadwinners/childminders to hand. So whilst I’m forgiving of people being surprised by our circumstances, I’d appreciate if you respected our choices and frankly I asked for help with names, not your opinion on my family situation. I’ve always liked these sort of sites but have been put off joining as my wife said people would judge us and label us as extreme Catholics or hicks or something.

Now back to names - sorry for that digression!
[name_m]Ah[/name_m] [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] and [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] are fantastic, on the list they go!

Jeez I’m sorry, just saw your post about being a moderator!
Didn’t realise it was your job and all, and yes it is quite a story, I’m sorry about being a bit defensive, but as you can imagine, even going to the grocery store is a challenge with folks judging me by the amount of food I buy. The local papers and radio have been trying to get us to do a story for them for years, like we’re some sort of spectacle, it’s all a bit exhausting and I came here for just a bit of mulling over names.
So I apologise if I was a bit overly defensive just now, and if some debate is going to erupt here because of my family situation, taking the attention away from names, then I’ll go elsewhere for names help, if that works better for your site etc
Regards,
[name_u]Paddy[/name_u]

We know 2 families with lots of kids- one with 13 kids, one with 12, ages ranging from late 20’s to toddlers.

[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Mitchell[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Ernest[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m]

The more the merrier! Though if I was a moderator I would be suspicious of your story also as it is far from modern norms but going with truth until proven otherwise I say congratulations. Children are a blessing. I have three and hope for more.

I don’t blame the poster for being defensive. He was simply asking for suggestions for name for him unborn baby, that, if I’m not mistaken, he said was a surprise. I think it’s admirable for them to have taken in his sisters children…

And, if this is a made up story, how do you verify it?

Lastly, just because you don’t agree with someone’s actions/choices, doesn’t mean they are wrong!

PS I’ve always liked the name [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

I don’t blame him for being defensive either and I don’t understand why the amount of children he has matters if it’s only names he’s looking for, I don’t see how that’s hurting anyone. I would be really put off myself if I had asked the question and gotten a response like that, I wouldn’t see why I was being approached like that (even from a moderator). [name_f]My[/name_f] mother is the oldest of 13 (none of them adopted, all from the same parents) and her mother had multiple miscarriages and she would have had 20 something children if not for the miscarriages. [name_f]My[/name_f] own aunt is 2 years younger than me, the same age as my sister. Whether that seems credible or not it’s true. [name_f]My[/name_f] own mother had about four miscarriages and a premature baby who passed away after birth. [name_f]My[/name_f] family therefore would have had 11 children. I’m actually really curious as to why it matters how many kids he has? I don’t understand how asking for names is any issue, whether it’s the 1st or the 20th child…@renrose if you could help me understand this I would be grateful

To answer your question @paddyharris93, [name_m]Simon[/name_m] is what immediately popped into my head when I saw [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

I don’t think anyone’s intent was to judge or censure a legitimate family for how many children they have or don’t have. I think the point of a question like that is to ascertain whether or not the OP is faking. That certainly isn’t to say that all large families are fake! But many times on baby name boards, the posters who frequent the baby name games section get a little over zealous and decide to create a new account around an imaginary family and post about it on the regular boards. Because fakery isn’t allowed on the site, it’s the mods’ job to police that sort of thing by asking questions when someone’s story seems far-fetched in any way. Improbable does not equal definitely fake, but an improbably large family is worth a second look to make sure it’s legit. I seriously doubt any harm was meant! :slight_smile:

I see! That explains things. That definitely makes it more understandable, thank you for clearing that up :slight_smile: You know what when I reread it again I realize it is only offensive if it was said offensively but since tone is often misconstrued in writing it comes off more harsh than if someone was speaking it so maybe that’s what was so bothersome. In any case I understand now and, I’m glad it wasn’t meant harmfully :slight_smile:

Would it be alright if I bring the focus back to names?
I really appreciate all the support for large families (or Costco families as my wife calls us!) and I also appreciate the need to moderate these sort of sites so I’d quite like not to discuss my family circumstances anymore and just get some more ideas for names, if that’d be alright? Seems more in spirit of the forum, no?

Moving right along then:

What are people’s views on [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u]? [name_f]My[/name_f] boy in college is taking a theater class and he’s doing a paper on [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u] McClintic and the name jumped out at me when he mentioned it. I don’t usually like surnames as first names but I think it has a kinda old world-y charm to it, plus it’s Celtic which scores brownie points with my wife!

Any feedback’d be great.

Would it be alright if I bring the focus back to names?
I really appreciate all the support for large families (or Costco families as my wife calls us!) and I also appreciate the need to moderate these sort of sites so I’d quite like not to discuss my family circumstances anymore and just get some more ideas for names, if that’d be alright? Seems more in spirit of the forum, no?

Moving right along then:

What are people’s views on [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u]? [name_f]My[/name_f] boy in college is taking a theater class and he’s doing a paper on [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u] McClintic and the name jumped out at me when he mentioned it. I don’t usually like surnames as first names but I think it has a kinda old world-y charm to it, plus it’s Celtic which scores brownie points with my wife!

Any feedback’d be great.

Sorry for double post! Darned internet

[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Regis[/name_m]
[name_m]Morris[/name_m]
[name_m]Gaige[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Chad[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Colin[/name_m]
Whiley
[name_m]Trent[/name_m]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u]
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Uriah[/name_m]
[name_m]Penn[/name_m]
Karlton
[name_m]Gavin[/name_m]
Arius
[name_m]Damien[/name_m]
[name_m]Alec[/name_m]
[name_u]Tate[/name_u]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]

[name_u]Guthrie[/name_u] to me has a very western/cowboyish feel to it. All in all a good name