Help with Baby Boy Name

Hubby and I are expecting a rainbow baby boy any day now, but we are really struggling to pick a name! We want a name that is strong/masculine and not too popular. We are currently tossing around [name_m]Leander[/name_m], [name_m]Lander[/name_m], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. Hubby’s #1 choice is [name_m]Leander[/name_m], but something is holding me up. Does it sound too feminine? Is it too uncommon? Any thoughts about the other names or suggestions?

Congratulations!

I really like [name_m]Leander[/name_m] especially with the nn [name_u]Lee[/name_u] or [name_u]Andy[/name_u]! [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is also really cute.

[name_m]Landon[/name_m]
[name_m]Lemuel[/name_m]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u]
[name_u]Sander[/name_u]
[name_m]Aksel[/name_m]
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_u]Anderson[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]

I like [name_m]Leander[/name_m]—sounds boyish to me—but [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] is probably my favorite from your list. [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] are nice too. [name_m]Lander[/name_m] makes me think of the space exploration vehicle, sorry.

Between [name_m]Leander[/name_m] and [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], I imagine that more people will have heard of [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], and that it’s more intuitive to pronounce. (But that’s speculation on my part.) Both sound romantic and adventurous to me!

Your list immediately made me think of [name_m]Evander[/name_m].

[name_m]Leander[/name_m] sounds all boy to me. :slight_smile: I think [name_m]Leo[/name_m] could work as a nickname for [name_m]Leander[/name_m] too.

[name_m]Leander[/name_m] is perfect! Feels very much masculine.

Of what you our [name_m]Leander[/name_m] does actually sound feminine to me. I think because it has sounds of the girl name [name_f]Leanne[/name_f] in it. [name_f]My[/name_f] two picks are [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (although becoming popular) and [name_m]Lander[/name_m]. [name_m]Lander[/name_m] made me think of [name_m]Landon[/name_m] also and someone mentioned [name_m]Evander[/name_m] above which also is similar.

Congratulations!!
You have a great short list. I think [name_m]Leander[/name_m] is great, and not feminine at all. It’s also very hansome and cool!
I’ve seen people use [name_m]Leo[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_m]Leander[/name_m] so that could work too.
I also really love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and the suggestion of [name_m]Evander[/name_m] is great!

[name_m]Leander[/name_m] is fantastic! I love it :slight_smile:

You might also like [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_m]Evander[/name_m] or [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]

[name_m]Leander[/name_m] is awesome, but I’m wondering if people will mispronounce it as ‘[name_m]Lander[/name_m]’ or ‘Lender’? Out of the rest on your list, [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] seems the least common to me and you could use the nicknames [name_m]Xander[/name_m]/Xand if you wanted something a little bit more common later on.

Now that you’ve mentioned it, [name_m]Leander[/name_m] does sound a bit feminine to me.

[name_m]Lander[/name_m] sounds a bit too “country” for me. I just hear it in a ridiculously think accent when I say it in my head. I’m not a huge fan of the name [name_m]Landon[/name_m] either, so maybe I’m getting those vibes as well.

[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] is handsome and decidedly masculine.

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] is a bit overrated in my opinion. Also falls under my category of softer boy names (think [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], etc.) Great names, but ones that don’t scream masculinity to me.

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is amazing. [name_u]Strong[/name_u] and masculine, but also soft too. [name_u]Theo[/name_u] fits into that soft category I mentioned. Potentially gives your son the ability to choose a name that fits his identity better.

I second the vote for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. It’s very handsome.

I like any of those, but my vote goes to [name_m]Leander[/name_m], nn [name_m]Leo[/name_m]

Congratulations! [name_m]Leander[/name_m] is sweet but [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is my favourite from your list of options. Its so handsome & timeless, with so many nickname options.

The only other suggestions I have are [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliott[/name_u].

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! Our sweet baby boy was born at 3:13 am this morning and we named him [name_m]Leander[/name_m].

4 Likes

[name_m]How[/name_m] exciting! Congratulations on your little man! He’s got a great name! :blue_heart:

Congratulations!!! You chose a great name!

Congratulations on the birth of [name_m]Leander[/name_m]!

I like [name_m]Leander[/name_m] with nn [name_u]Andy[/name_u] or [name_m]Leo[/name_m]